Water Transportation in and around Boston

Lrfox

Reaction score
After some searching, I wasn't able to find a thread on this topic and as a somewhat infrequent water commuter, I figured I'd start one.

I'm not riding it every day as my office is close to N. Station and the Blue Line is still the best option, but I've been occasionally using the new(ish) East Boston <-> Seaport ferry if I need to be in that area. I love the service. It's like 7 minutes from dock to dock and the 20 minute intervals are perfectly adequate. It's a great (and necessary) transit alternative to the existing links. But I have some concerns:
  • The timing of the pilot worries me - people are obviously still not commuting to offices in great numbers right now and ridership is low (I haven't had more than 5 other people with me on a boat, and usually it's like 1 or 2 others). I'd hate for low ridership now to be interpreted (or intentionally used) to mean that service isn't viable.
  • The schedule is great if you are a typical day-time worker. But the 6am-7pm service isn't helpful for 2nd or 3rd shift staff, tourists, people looking to go out for dinner/drinks, etc. I realize commuters are the target for the "commuter ferry," but that greatly limits its potential. There are a lot of people here who would absolutely use it on weekends and for evenings out in the Seaport. Alternatively, it's a great way to get people over to Eastie for the Harborwalk, Tall Ship, Downeast, Pier's Park, etc.
  • The fragmented fare system can be a hassle. It's only $5 each way which is reasonable (though matching the T fare would be ideal), but it's a separate ticket system and requires you to download an app to buy a ticket (same format as the MBTA Commuter Rail M-Ticket app). There's no buy on the dock/on board option and no way to use a Charlie Card or pass. I've seen several people who were interested in riding give up after being informed that they needed to download the app, load a card, etc.
One of the biggest gripes about Eastie is that it can feel isolated given the limited options for getting downtown without driving. A frequent ferry shuttle would be an excellent way to diversify those options. This seems like a good start (I'd love a North Station route too), but I'm worried it'll be scrapped after the pilot ends. Has anyone else used one of these boats?

I've only used the North Station - Seaport Ferry a couple of times, but yes the timing isn't ideal. I would also say that one of the bigger problems with the Seaport Ferry system is its sheer lack of visibility to the general public. It doesn't appear on any transit app, or on google maps - its existence isn't exactly publicized. Most people I know who have used it work for one of the companies in the Seaport that fund the thing - and I agree the friction in setting up the account and riding is significant even as a corporate user. A corporate shuttle isn't necessarily a bad thing, (see the various business park shuttles from alewife), but this sort of quasi-transit operation within Boston should be a common good. The MCCA which funds the thing really should take a page out of MassPort's book and be an agent collecting and transferring an operating subsidy to fund it through the MBTA.

I also think they're missing a beat by not serving the airport. BCG and other seaport firms are prolific business travelers, not to mention that MCCA is a sponsor of this thing - incoming attendees, anyone? Yes, that conflicts with the SL and would require a Massport shuttle, but I can see it being an attractive option when the weather is right. And while there's already a ferry from Aquarium to the airport, its annoyingly expensive; as its on the Hull route it costs $9.75, compared to $2.70 to just take the Blue Line to Airport. its right there. The fare from Aquarium to Airport on the Ferry should be equal to that of the subway; if the difference weren't so stark, I could see it being recommended for tourists as a novel way to get to the airport. The MBTA Ferry should include a triangle route thats Seaport-Airport-Aquarium, at near transit pricing.

Last edited:
Honestly, with the blue line harbor tunnel closed ferries from East Boston to Rowes Warf might be faster than tunnel traffic at rush hour.

I don't commute but I have people visiting the city in the summer for the first time and I've considered using the water taxi as a way of, I guess, restaurant or bar hop around the harbor for a night. It would be a grand introduction to the city

Any suggestions on that would be welcome

I've been interested in trying one of these for my once a week commute to East Boston. I typically bike or take the Blue Line. Biking, though my preference, is a long slog, since I have to go well out of my way to get around the harbor. My thought is that bike to ferry might be a decent option. Does anybody know if you can bring a bike on these ferries? Would it be challenging or awkward? For example, I could bike to Aquarium, then take the T across, but I haven't so far found it very easy to take the bike on the T. Would the ferry work better?

I don't commute but I have people visiting the city in the summer for the first time and I've considered using the water taxi as a way of, I guess, restaurant or bar hop around the harbor for a night. It would be a grand introduction to the city

Any suggestions on that would be welcome

These are great for Seaport - East Boston and Seaport - North Station, but only on weekdays, during working hours. The water taxi works wonderfully (you can summon it from the app), but it can be pretty pricey. One of my favorite water secrets is the free boat shuttle between Pier 6 in Charlestown, Reel House in East Boston, and Tall Ship in East Boston. I'd combine that with the water taxi for a Boston Harbor restaurant/dining tour. There's also a free boat between the ICA in the Seaport and the ICA Watershed in East Boston (it drops off at the Piers Park Sailing Center) for ticket holders. You could get free tickets through the library for the day you want to do this and use it to get back and forth. I've never done the boat shuttle between Encore and the Seaport (does it still exist?), but that seems like it'd be cool.

I've been interested in trying one of these for my once a week commute to East Boston. I typically bike or take the Blue Line. Biking, though my preference, is a long slog, since I have to go well out of my way to get around the harbor. My thought is that bike to ferry might be a decent option. Does anybody know if you can bring a bike on these ferries? Would it be challenging or awkward? For example, I could bike to Aquarium, then take the T across, but I haven't so far found it very easy to take the bike on the T. Would the ferry work better?

This would be extremely easy on the ferry. The ramps on the docks to/from the boat can pretty easily accommodate bikes without much effort. I'm not sure where your destination in East Boston is, but the dock on that side has near direct access to the East Boston Greenway. I have not seen a written policy on bikes posted anywhere, but I've seen them on the boats and there's room in the front and rear to leave a few of them for the short ride. Frankly, with the number of people on these boats at the moment, you can probably even just bring it in the cabin with you. It would be a lot easier than bringing it on the T.

I've brought my bike on the North Station-Seaport ferry a few times. You just hook the handlebars over the rail (or otherwise secure it) near the bow.

Did this yesterday with my bike -- cut 12 miles off the round trip from Roslindale to East Boston.

Resurrecting this older thread for the news that the T is launching (relaunching?) a dedicated Aquarium - East Boston/Lewis Mall ferry, the same route as from the popular water ferry diversion during the Blue line closure earlier this spring. Scheduled seasonally, service starts this Monday the 12th at 7am, Every 30 minutes, until Nov 30, restarting in the spring in March.

Generally, more transit options to get to East Boston is never a bad idea - we should really more fully utilize the water in this city, but it's really a good idea, especially next spring and summer with the Sumner Tunnel closed full time - they just need to add Logan as a stop on this route and not the Hull service.

Isn't that redundant with the Blue Line running?

Isn't that redundant with the Blue Line running?
Yes, I don't really follow who this is for given it's less than a five minute walk on both ends from Aquarium and Maverick, both of which are better located for the vast majority of riders.

I wonder where the idea to do it came from? It seemed pretty popular during the Blue shutdown, but I think part of that was it being free and the shuttle buses being such a disaster.

A South Station-Logan service during the Sumner shutdown next summer seems like it could be a winner though.

One thing I've heard cited a lot is bikes, but I'd imagine that doesn't account for everything.

Yes, I don't really follow who this is for given it's less than a five minute walk on both ends from Aquarium and Maverick, both of which are better located for the vast majority of riders.

I wonder where the idea to do it came from? It seemed pretty popular during the Blue shutdown, but I think part of that was it being free and the shuttle buses being such a disaster.

A South Station-Logan service during the Sumner shutdown next summer seems like it could be a winner though.

There isn't a dock near South Station that would work; service would have to be from either Rowes Wharf or the Seaport World Trade Center.

There is a fairly small but vocal group of Eastie residents who have been demanding a ferry service for a long time. But even with that outspoken contingent, I can only imagine that this is happening now due in large part to the upcoming full-time Blue Line shutdown.

Don’t get me wrong, I am personally happy to be able to use this (Maverick-Aquarium is a frequent route for me on the Blue Line), but it’s definitely redundant and doesn’t seem to stack up with other transportation needs in the city. I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised if it is terminated right after the Sumner reopens.

In NYC, the ferry system is by far the most subsidized mode of public transportation, clocking in at $13 of subsidy per ride, compared to $1 per ride for the subway. As is the case with this proposed route, the ferry is the same same fare as the subway (although the price is going up this week after having stayed flat since their 2017 launch).

Surprisingly, a Pioneer Institute study states that in 2015 the MBTA ferry actually had the best fare recovery rate of any MBTA mode (the existing routes are priced more expensive than the subway though). Hopefully Boston can figure out to run this East Boston route similarly efficiently.

One thing I've heard cited a lot is bikes, but I'd imagine that doesn't account for everything.
It is definitely a better mode for bike riders than the Blue Line (or the circuitous land route through Everett and Chelsea). But I would not say that it accounts for much ridership. During the Spring version of this, I took it several times, and was always the only bike rider on the boat. Admittedly, I was going in the lower demand direction, crossing to Lewis Mall in the morning, and Long Wharf in the evening. But I never noticed large bike contingents waiting to board for the other direction.

Tried to ride it yesterday. No information on the T's website other than the press release, and no indication of which side of Long Wharf it uses. No signage whatsoever at the wharf. Great way to make a service usable.

The schedule is now posted here. Rode it today, 6:30 from Lewis Wharf. No one with me, 4 people heading back, though two of them tried to get on and were told they needed a ticket and had to mess around mTicket for a bit.

The thing that struck me is how *tiny* the boat is compared to the rest of the T's ferries.
IMG_5610.JPG

The schedule is now posted here. Rode it today, 6:30 from Lewis Wharf. No one with me, 4 people heading back, though two of them tried to get on and were told they needed a ticket and had to mess around mTicket for a bit.

The thing that struck me is how *tiny* the boat is compared to the rest of the T's ferries.
View attachment 28401
That is nowhere near as nice as the temporary ferry that had running during the blue line closure... Can't imagine you'll fit too many bikes on that thing

Back