WBZ-TV/CBS Studio Development Project | 1170-2000 Soldiers Field Road | Allston

The auxiliary tower for WBZ(AM) was dismantled in October to make way for the new studio complex.

When I was a kid, I was on the Rex Trailer show at the WBZ-TV studio, along with a bunch of other kids for one of the shows. The live series aired every Saturday morning.

0110_rex-trailer.jpg

It kind of odd that a cowboy, in full garb, was a hit show in Boston. (Before my time)

It kind of odd that a cowboy, in full garb, was a hit show in Boston. (Before my time)
Western TV series were huge on prime time TV back then. That popularity spilled over into daytime kids' shows.

When I was a kid, I was on the Rex Trailer show at the WBZ-TV studio, along with a bunch of other kids for one of the shows. The live series aired every Saturday morning.

0110_rex-trailer.jpg

I'm jealous. I met Rex in the early 70's at the old Sandy's Dept store on Route 1 in Dedham (across from the late, lamented drive-in theater) when he made a personal appearance. It was like meeting God to a 6 year old. I vaguely remember him juts being very kind and welcoming. Everything I have subsequently read about him is that he was a truly nice guy.

What's funny is that when I was a kid, I always thought he and Ken Coleman (fellow WBZ TV employee and Red Sox play by play announcer) were the same person.
1608652266478.png

Last edited:
That sentiment was shared by those who expected Boomtown to fail within a year of its debut. Rex Trailer describes the history of the show in the video below. (He does not mention, however, that the outdoor set was burned down by some Native Americans who found the show offensive.)

I was on the Big Brother Bob Emery show when I was a kid.
I used to watch that show quite a bit. It was on right when I'd get home from grade school for lunch, then walk back to school afterwards.

B&T says this has been submitted (at least to them). It's 650KSF and 8 stories max.

LOI for the life science component ("who wants more labs? WE WANT MORE LABS!")
That's what development's going to look like in the post-COVID / Remote Work era. Not just because life sciences were strong before COVID and stronger in the world of mRNA, but also because if you are a owner or developer of prime real estate, there's a clear glut of old-fashioned "office" gonna happen as tenant leases get renewed on 20% smaller footprints (or even growing companies don't look for bigger offices)

That's what development's going to look like in the post-COVID / Remote Work era. Not just because life sciences were strong before COVID and stronger in the world of mRNA, but also because if you are a owner or developer of prime real estate, there's a clear glut of old-fashioned "office" gonna happen as tenant leases get renewed on 20% smaller footprints (or even growing companies don't look for bigger offices)

I'm not complaining about labs vs. office, I'm complaining about labs vs. housing. Multi-building developments in places like Allston shouldn't be approved without a residential component. We're in a housing crisis and every lab we build makes it worse.

So nice of them to leave the packing material on the glass box in the third photo.

Jesus f-ing Christ. Those renderings are a joke. This is an office park at the edge of the city and they photoshop people in there like they are hanging out on the Common. Ridiculous.

I'm starting to hate the term 'life-sciences.'

probably because the corollary is a square boxed building.

Back