Westwood Station Developments

I go past this site daily on the commuter rail... there seems to be a lot of site-prep activity going on from the little I can see on the train. Also there are some massive dirt piles on the far side of the project from the CR tracks...

I tokk an aerial shot of the site yesterday, Mon, Nov 4, there was quite a bit of activity at the site. Now if I could just figure out how to attache the jpeg...

Airpix

There is a lot of site work that needs to be done but they are moving, activity there 6 days a week. I believe they hope to have the first retail open by next Christmas or the spring of 2015

I tokk an aerial shot of the site yesterday, Mon, Nov 4, there was quite a bit of activity at the site. Now if I could just figure out how to attache the jpeg...

Airpix

If you upload the picture to imgur, they conveniently provide some BBcode snippets that you can just copy+paste into a forum post.

Ground breaking next week(2 million-sq-ft ).

The $500 million mixed-use development is being built by a collaboration of firms including New England Development, Eastern Real Estate, National Development and Clarion Partners. The site is slated to include 750,000 square feet of retail, a 350,000-square-foot Class A office building, 650 residential units, up to 160 hotel units and an assisted living and memory care facility with 100 units.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2013/11/westwood-station-is-back-on-track.html

Ya I believe they are focusing on the Wegmans/retail and apartments first and are targeting Winter 2014 - September 2015 for those. Hotel is last on the schedule.

Why is this being called University Station? There's no university, or even four-year college, anywhere near it.

Why is this being called University Station? There's no university, or even four-year college, anywhere near it.

Maybe because the street it surrounds is University Avenue? That might have something to do with it. And it directly across from Rt. 128 Station.

Hence University Station

OK, but why is it called University Avenue? Was a university campus once planned for this area?

OK, but why is it called University Avenue? Was a university campus once planned for this area?

I've always thought it was for the Northeastern campus in Dedham, but that's some distance away and the street doesn't go there.

Alternately, that industrial park area might have been a proposed campus for something that never got built...

Airpix

was this your shot?

westwood-big.jpg

There is now a lot of asphalt down for the parking lot and entrances, they've been working 6 days a week here and there is a shitload of equipment. I expect NE Development to move very quickly.

I'm looking forward to this, mainly because I live in WW (on the complete opposite side of westwood mind you) and it will be nice to see something other than the rubble that has been there for the past 10 years.

Ron -- there are a plethora of streets whose names have nothing to do with the function -- for example:
1) Federal street -- there might be something Federal there but if it its there is well hidden
2) A through H in the BackBay - -the streets are named after British Dukes
3) Northern Ave -- North of what?
4) Summer and Winter
5) Milk and Water -- though I once heard that Milk sort was a way to the Common and the Cows while Water --well it went to where the water was -- of course at that time you could go nearly any direction and roughly at the same distance there was water

By the way -- who was Fid Kennedy?

Ron -- there are a plethora of streets whose names have nothing to do with the function -- for example:
1) Federal street -- there might be something Federal there but if it its there is well hidden
2) A through H in the BackBay - -the streets are named after British Dukes
3) Northern Ave -- North of what?
4) Summer and Winter
5) Milk and Water -- though I once heard that Milk sort was a way to the Common and the Cows while Water --well it went to where the water was -- of course at that time you could go nearly any direction and roughly at the same distance there was water

By the way -- who was Fid Kennedy?
Though it is still a misleading title. However, I am a man of semantics.

On a side note, is this progress? Or more sprawl. I was watching WBZ-TV 4 tonight and Sharon (which isn't too far from Westwood) is building something akin to Legacy and Patriot Place. Does that whole Route 1/95 Belt need anymore mass consumerism?

highlander, certain street names have a connotation. One expects a university to be near University Ave, a railway near Railroad Ave., an aqueduct near Aqueduct St., an aerodrome near Airport Drive, a body of water near Bayview Lane, etc.

A dealer on the corner of High Street?
My family once lived on Hooker Ave. in Braintree, now there's a connotation.

Back