What building would you nominate for replacement

The 3 landscrapers that look like projects on Columbus Ave in the South End. Can be seen towards the bottom on the photo below. I cringe to think what was torn down to build them.

EDIT: I guess there's also a fourth across the street.

6-20-11_boston-stock_4970-128%20copy.jpg

Last edited:

Both buildings are very easy to hate -- they're out of scale, and compared to their neighbors, utterly devoid of craft.

But the first, built in the late 1950s, has a few Mid-Century gestures that would be better to see refreshed than obliterated. The chevron-shaped balconies and the windows would be better re-glazed - I wonder how much the homeowners' assessment would be for that job...

All I can offer in (very half-hearted) defense of the second Beacon Street "tower" is that it's built using far better materials than anything we'd slap together today...

The 3 landscrapers that look like projects on Columbus Ave in the South End. Can be seen towards the bottom on the photo below. I cringe to think what was torn down to build them.

EDIT: I guess there's also a fourth across the street.

Ye Olde Methunion Manor. Four brick file-cabinets for lower income families. I recall ablarc comparing them to hooded Klansmen, looming over the block.

Last edited:
The Zinc apartment building in Cambridge. I know this is new but I think that it looks horrible. I believe that it will look even worse as it ages. They really should have done something different with the facade. It looks like a ugly factory or office building not a residential building.

Zinc1-300x300.jpg

The Zinc apartment building in Cambridge. I know this is new but I think that it looks horrible. I believe that it will look even worse as it ages. They really should have done something different with the facade. It looks like a ugly factory or office building not a residential building.

Zinc1-300x300.jpg

I'm not sure but hopefully once NorthPoint is fully built out this building will fall into the shadows and not be as hulking

I would pick a building that was taking up a lot of ground space and is in the way something great happening, like the fort point channel postal service building.

ryan_uspostalannex1_biz.jpg

funny-soon-sloth-cute.jpg

Back