What I hate about Boston

Monarchies obviously build better. and they do so because money is usually not a question. Modern times its about the economics, its just the facts and something people just have to deal with. I wonder what its going to be like in 30 years...

Monarchies obviously build better. and they do so because money is usually not a question. Modern times its about the economics, its just the facts and something people just have to deal with. I wonder what its going to be like in 30 years...

true enough, but also many current EU cities the size of boston are building much better as well

The question about what type of government builds the best is an interesting question. Berlin would be a great case study as it went from small trading post to seat of an empire to republic to fascist state to Communist State to modern democracy. Hell, you could probably center in just on Potdzdamer (sp?) Platz itself and get a good idea.

Monarchies probably have produced better architecture, but I don't think it's entirely based on economics. Money doesn't seem to be a problem for congress when they're writing blank checks for the Iraq War or for Deval Patrick handing out $1Billion for biotech. Architecture used to be what "great leaders" spent money on so that they would be remembered. Now all that money gets funnelled off to corporate interests.

Thank you Mr. Drucker! That's MUCH better!

L1110228.jpg

L1110230.jpg

I can't quite read the COMING SOON banner near the top of the building. What does it say?

The banner at the bottom, it announces a new coffee shop? Windows would be a good idea for such a use.

Ron, I'm pretty sure that is just an ad.

This is going to sound callous but when Ifirst saw that 'billboard' my first thought was that it could make for a great photograph with one on the local homeless people sitting under the "a lot to be thankful for..." holding a Green Mountain Coffee cup. Sort of a modern take on this classic shot.

Statler, you realize today that most people all too recently would have found that depression era ad appalling. "How could such a large family comfortably fit into such a small car? Oh wait, those people are waiting in line for gruel...what do you mean they didn't have McDonald's value menu back then?"

Ron, I'm pretty sure that is just an ad.

This is going to sound callous but when Ifirst saw that 'billboard' my first thought was that it could make for a great photograph with one on the local homeless people sitting under the "a lot to be thankful for..." holding a Green Mountain Coffee cup. Sort of a modern take on this classic shot.

It is an ad. Let's see. Don't fix the building, can't rent the building, yeah. Use it as a bill board. I wonder what the state Outdoor Advertising Board thinks? Can't believe it isn't a zoning violation too. Better than a hole in the ground, I guess. Now we know how many holes it takes to fill the DTX.

Stat, I had the same thought on the slogan, but none of the Arch Street irregulars (who use coffee cups for begging bowls) were available. They converge on the 7-11 across the street.

Last edited:
Yeah, next thing you know they'll make marijuana possession illegal.

BTW, everyone knows that the term 'slippery slope' was coined to describe a type of logical fallacy, right?

Yeah, next thing you know they'll make marijuana possession illegal.

BTW, everyone knows that the term 'slippery slope' was coined to describe a type of logical fallacy, right?

As far as I know, possession of marijuana is still illegal in the same way that driving 100mph while not wearing your seatbelt is illegal.

Besides, "they" would re-criminalize marijuana in a blink if they knew there wouldn't be considerable public backlash as a result.

hmm...you learn something new everyday! After reading up on it, all i could do is laugh at the fact that so many of my peers use that mechanism in the same manner i did.

hmm...you learn something new everyday! After reading up on it, all i could do is laugh at the fact that so many of my peers use that mechanism in the same manner i did.

Look out for "begs the question" as well.

What I hate about Boston: In a seemingly random act of violence/theft, a friend of mine (and a very, very good friend of my roommate's) was shot to death on Mission Hill yesterday morning.

8 months later, no resolution. Willing to bet a large majority of the law enforcement would not know what you were talking about if you said "Becca Payne" to them.

Oh well. Awful mess. Obviously they'll never find who did it (or slap the people who heard the gunshots and didn't call anyone despite there being a hospital literally next door).

/rant.

I hate how bitchy people get this time of year.

Back