What I love about Boston

yea I knew I got that name wrong, brainfart there.... and bostonboy, aren't you like 16 and from new hampshire?

Speaking of Kelly's, I love Kelly's Roast Beef in Revere... Soooo goood

yea I knew I got that name wrong, brainfart there.... and bostonboy, aren't you like 16 and from new hampshire?
And ya I am, what does that matter?

The Space Needle and (I think) the St. Louis Arch were built as attractions during temporary exhibitions, much in the same way the Eiffel Tower was. Only later did they become landmarks of their respective cities. I think the CN Tower was actually built to advertise the Canadian National Railway more than Toronto itself, though it's certainly done a far better job serving the latter purpose.

So I think Boston's lack of a "tacky" landmark has more to do with its history of having never hosted a major exhibition, and its corporations' lack of boastful audaciousness (with the possible exception of the Hancock towers, though the latter is praised for being muted more than its height). This latter quality might point toward a conservative civic culture inimical to "tackiness," but we could have easily wound up with some sort of wild structure given an alternative history in which Boston competed more aggressively for Olympics, World's Fairs, etc.

You're right, and other cities have landmarks from old exibitions and events too, Montreal (both Olympics and Expo... and both sites are rotting), New York City (Queens), San Antonio, etc. My personal feeling on the issue is that I'm happy Boston didn't go all out for one of these exibitions (or the Olympics) and end up taking up space with some flavor of the year that would likely be nothing more than a rotting tourist trap now (how high up is the Expo '67 site on your list of Montreal attractions, or the World's Fair site in Queens?).

Regardless of how these landmarks came to fruition, I'm happy Boston doesn't have one. Boston has gained a reputation based on it's culture, education, quirkiness, etc; In other words, this city has distinct personality on its own and it doesn't need an giant tower with a revolving restaurant at the top to remind people that Boston is Boston, and it's different from anywhere else.

I don't quite agree. London has centuries of history, but did adding the London Eye (ferris wheel) detract from any of it?

Speaking of Kelly's, I love Kelly's Roast Beef in Revere... Soooo goood

And ya I am, what does that matter?

just wondering how much you know about the "good ol days" in eastie firsthand. im thinking probably not that much.

I don't quite agree. London has centuries of history, but did adding the London Eye (ferris wheel) detract from any of it?

Hmm.. I didn't think of that one in particular. That was a very successful addition to the city and sees heavy volumes of tourist (and local) traffic. It's a great new twist on observation points. I think the Eiffel Tower does well enough in Paris as well. Maybe I need to rethink the grounds of my argument; it could go either way depending on the city.

"I love the rivalries inside the city
Dot vs Southie.... North Shore vs South Shore."

Definitely agree. The difference is so vivid it's almost ethnic (actually it probably is ethnic.) Pretty sure I could pick out the lone south shore person in a lineup of complete strangers.

just wondering how much you know about the "good ol days" in eastie firsthand. im thinking probably not that much.

I just meant from my experiences not in general. I used to go there all the time cause my great grandma lived there, so I remember how it used to feel for me. I am just saying, there definitely is a noticeable increase in Hispanics is all i am saying.

I love Eastie too, but it was way better before all the Italians got here in the '20's. They took all of our jobs, cooked exotic smelly food, looked the other way while their crime gangs terrorized the community, and couldn't speak a lick of English. But I'll always have the good old Eastie of Patrick Kennedy and Donald McKay in my memories...

^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL...ah yes, those Italians! You gotta love em! All their smelly foods..their broken English way of speaking...gunning down anyone who got in their way. My Aunt always said..."the Irish never had it so good until they married the Italians!"

I love Eastie too, but it was way better before all the Italians got here in the '20's. They took all of our jobs, cooked exotic smelly food, looked the other way while their crime gangs terrorized the community, and couldn't speak a lick of English. But I'll always have the good old Eastie of Patrick Kennedy and Donald McKay in my memories...

Another dirty Mic. I remember back before the starving Irish invaded our Providential shores in the middle years of what ought to have been the Century of Progress. Oh, to take our City on a Hill back from popish slavery and mysticism! To rid the shores of Shawmut of decadent fiddle-music and idolatrous saint-worship!

Where are those scarlet letters when you need them?

Shores of Shawmut!
Don't cry to me about "your" beloved shores of Shawmut you damn palefaces.

Barstool Sports has one thing in common with Stuff@night: there's no good reason for either of these publications to exist.

What I love about Boston is that it seems to understand scale and proportion. It does intimate, human scale very well.

I love Comm Ave on a spring day with the flowering magnolias and dogwoods.

I love the South End, West Canton Street, Union Park.

I love the graceful beauty of the swan boats and the willows dipping into the Public Gardens' lagoon.

I love ocassionally coming across cobbled streets.

I love that the green line runs at street level in some parts of town, just like the trams in Europe.

I love hustle and bustle of the North End on a warm June evening.

I love that on a Friday afternoon I can hop on a ferry with nothing but a backpack and a bike and be completely equipped for a weekend out in PT.

Public/university TV/radio:

Two NPR stations. Two PBS stations. Something like half of all PBS content is produced here. The "orgies" on WHRB...

Public/university TV/radio:

Two NPR stations. Two PBS stations. Something like half of all PBS content is produced here. The "orgies" on WHRB...

Amen. When I first started listening to WHRB, it was a revelation (thanks, mom). And what jazz fan doesn't like Eric in the Evening?

And to appease all you San Francisco haters...the public radio here is definitely lacking. Yes we have KQED, the NPR affiliate, but there is no GBH equivalent. And my own university radio, at Stanford, is pretty weak next to Harvard's.

Back