What I love about Boston

I love the Tonic aisle still exists at the Market Basket in Billerica.

I love that I live in a city where people regularly stop to take pictures of things because they are undeniably beautiful.

I love living in a city where the old-townies nurse their beers complaining about how the city has been taken over by yuppies or pretentious hipsters.

I love living in a city where the yuppies and hipsters nurse their lattes complaining about how the city is a provincial backwater overrun with old-townies.

I love living in a city where liberals lament that the city is not more diverse.
I love living in a city where conservatives lament that the majority of the city is non-white.

I love living in a city where many worldly types constantly fault the city for not being more like New York City.
I love living in a city where almost every visitor I've encountered from New York City talks about what a great place this is.

So I guess I just love how screwed up everyone is who lives here...

I love that Simco's by the Bridge in Mattapan has managed to survive all these years and its neon sign stills wags its tale just like back in the olden days.

btw-Cannot wait for the T Station to be built next door. Bet the proprietors can't wait either.

The grass is always greener... I love how we tend to be very critical of our city, but it's because we are always striving to make it better. I also love how we do manage to realize that we are critical and every now and then step back and appreciate how great it really is. (This is especially true after we come back from somewhere else!)

(This is especially true after we come back from somewhere else!)

Depends on where you're returning from. South Florida? I kiss the ground when I get off the plane. Kyoto, Chicago, San Francisco. Not so much...

The grass is always greener... I love how we tend to be very critical of our city, but it's because we are always striving to make it better. I also love how we do manage to realize that we are critical and every now and then step back and appreciate how great it really is. (This is especially true after we come back from somewhere else!)

I was going to write something very similar to this the other day, but couldn't find the right words. I love the criticism of the city and the fact that most people aren't content to say, "ok, we're perfect let's just freeze time and stay this way" (again, MOST people). I think it's a good thing for Boston.

I just walked around the city for about 2.5 hours today because I'm home for break and I felt like enjoying the weather. It was perfect (except for one police officer, see:"What I hate about Boston"), and it was one of those times where I had time to just take it all in. I even stopped and watched BMX bikers acting like fools in the fountain at the Paul Rever Mall. It's really a fantastic town.

Manny Ramirez watching his double off the wall for 20 seconds.... (sorry opening day)

tobyjug.
sam adams.
Anna's taqueria, Phillipe's taqueria. (sp?)

Felipe's. The Globe had a long article about the burrito wars on the front page of Food & Arts today. But they left out Felipe's!

I like Picante (and wish they hadn't had to leave Davis Square), but don't think of them as primarily a burrito joint.

In my local LiveJournal community, there's been so much discussion of burritos that I created a special tag for them.

I guess that's true. Now if only Boston could get more Falafel/Schawarma/Donair joints, I'd be in heaven...

^ Shawarma King reigns supreme in that category. That tiny place in Central Square isn't bad either, if I recall.

^ Shawarma King reigns supreme in that category. That tiny place in Central Square isn't bad either, if I recall.
The Sabra in Harvard Square is really good too. But when you go up to Canada, there's Falafel places everywhere(at least in Vancouver, Ottawa, and Montreal)

Falafel Palace? It is goood.

I love all of the "squares", "corners", "circles", etc. that often bring life down to earth and seem to foster a sense of community.

Back