Whats left to build on?

stick n move

Reaction score
The cool thing too is if you get green serving all of the massive development along this corridor from the south end, to bmc etc, and then this empty area... next up you now have all of this within a short walk and this has room for I cant even imagine how many people... 20,000?

DZH22

Reaction score
I was on Mass Ave just past BMC about a month ago, needing to take a left onto Melnea Cass in order to get to 93. There was a person standing directly in the left lane, bent at the waist, with their pants halfway down. It was pretty disturbing actually. He made me miss my light, and didn't move from his zombie position for the entire light cycle.

The point is, as long as we call this stretch "methadone mile" it's not going to be the most appealing place for developers to invest their money. Who wants to spend big bucks to live amongst swarms of unpredictable (hard) drug addicts? It's a dangerous, dirty area that I can't see bouncing back anytime soon.

A couple 2019 articles...
Stabbing victim dies:

Police arrest 16:

On that note, whatever happened to the tall slanty roofed residential building that was planned for here? It was like 25 stories, and the original proposal is at least a decade old. I have seen it resurrected a couple of times but nothing ever came of it, probably due to the reasons stated above...

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
I was on Mass Ave just past BMC about a month ago, needing to take a left onto Melnea Cass in order to get to 93. There was a person standing directly in the left lane, bent at the waist, with their pants halfway down. It was pretty disturbing actually. He made me miss my light, and didn't move from his zombie position for the entire light cycle.

The point is, as long as we call this stretch "methadone mile" it's not going to be the most appealing place for developers to invest their money. Who wants to spend big bucks to live amongst swarms of unpredictable (hard) drug addicts? It's a dangerous, dirty area that I can't see bouncing back anytime soon.

Stabbing victim dies:

Police arrest 16:

On that note, whatever happened to the tall slanty roofed residential building that was planned for here? It was like 25 stories, and the original proposal is at least a decade old. I have seen it resurrected a couple of times but nothing ever came of it, probably due to the reasons stated above...
Reopening the Long Island treatment center will go along way to changing this area.

JumboBuc

Reaction score

Stabbing victim dies:

Police arrest 16:

Yeah, of course that area is definitely rough right now. But there's little reason to believe it will be like that forever.

If we're thinking about long-term prospects for housing growth on the scale of multiple decades, the Lower Roxbury area between Mass Ave and Melnea Cass absolutely has potential. Many currently-in-fashion areas have very gritty histories if you go back a few decades.

Also, the core, roughest section of the "Methadone Mile" goes SE from BMC, across the Mass Ave Connector towards Newmarket and South Bay. The area around Harrison SW of BMC more resembles the part of the South End around Harrison N of BMC: homelessness and drug use is a problem, but it coexists within the neighborhood rather than fully overtaking it.

In my perfect world, all the BWSC land in that area would be redeveloped as a public-private partnership between developers and the city, with a dense mix of maybe 50:50 subsidized and market-rate units. I don't foresee, and wouldn't want, units priced at the top of the market to be sited there.

Reopening the Long Island treatment center will go along way to changing this area.
Yes