Why isn't the Tobin bridge lit up at night?

beck4537

Reaction score
Is there a reason the Tobin Bridge isn't lit up at night? Feel like if the Tobin got the same light treatment like the bridges in NYC (Throgs Neck, Whitestone, Manhattan, etc) it would be a major addition to Boston's skyline at night.

Is there a reason the Tobin Bridge isn't lit up at night? Feel like if the Tobin got the same light treatment like the bridges in NYC (Throgs Neck, Whitestone, Manhattan, etc) it would be a major addition to Boston's skyline at night.
It’s not an elegant bridge and shouldn’t be seen.

I agree the shapes of the bridge aren't that inspiring, but the lighting itself (irrespective of the bridge) could be.

I looked to try to find out if the bridge was ever lit up at night. Couldn't find a thing!! But they WERE supposed to be repainting it. Couldn't find that either!! But here's a pic of the Zakim Bridge, which we know is lit up at night!!
boston-zakim-bridge-larry-richardson.jpg
:unsure:

Last edited:
Project is in the final design stages to install ornamental lighting on the Braga Bridge down in Fall River. Since they’re both old school through truss cantilevers, in about a year we should essentially have an exact ‘picture’ of what the Tobin would look like lit up.

I would think the Tobin would look elegant with just its top and bottom chords lit (just like most suspension bridges where you get the bottom arch and the top parabolas*)

* technically “catenaries”

I don't think it should pass the environmental sniff test. It has no real practical purpose beyond esthetic

I don't think it should pass the environmental sniff test. It has no real practical purpose beyond esthetic

Its the same deal with the zakim, and every other lit bridge around the country/world as well as lit crowns on high rises like the pru. Sometimes aesthetics is enough of a reason to do something.

The tobin isnt the most beautiful bridge during the day, though I dont mind it at all, but at night truss bridges can look really good when lit up imo.
howrah-bridge7-lg.jpg

photo-text-img-full-1.-large.jpg

jacques-cartier-bridge-light-project.jpg

Jacques%20Cartier%20bridge%20lit%20(CTV%20News).jpg

To enter Boston proper you must cross a bridge over the Neponset, Charles or Mother Brook and they are not all lit up because they are not important enough and the cost isn't justified. If we suggest the Tobin be lit then legitimate questions will be asked about its true cost and purpose.

The purpose would be to make the Tobin more fun to look at during the night and to provide joy to the viewers. If there's no money to do it, then don't. If there is, then please do. Seems pretty clear-cut. "Light Pollution" isn't an entirely absurd concept, but Boston is so far away from being an offender in this realm that it absolutley does not apply here.

To enter Boston proper you must cross a bridge over the Neponset, Charles or Mother Brook and they are not all lit up because they are not important enough and the cost isn't justified. If we suggest the Tobin be lit then legitimate questions will be asked about its true cost and purpose.

I don't feel like that's necessarily a fair comparison to make. None of those bridges are as notable or visually impactful as the Tobin.

Not to be a Debby Downer but there is also the possibility of Kenny Rogers chickening all of Chelsea
Points for the Seinfeld reference! But it's a legitimate concern, and the folks in Chelsea should be able to veto any lighting plans.

Back