Why New Development in Boston Sucks

I enjoyed reading that piece when I saw it in the Atlantic earlier. He makes good points in terms of diagnosing the problem cities face from NIMBYs, zoning, regulations, and so forth. However, I don't think height itself is the panacea he makes it out to be. Density can be achieved without height, and height does not necessary equal density (e.g. towers in a park). And then, density (or height, or both if you make them equivalent) does not equal affordability despite the math he tries to concoct.

The reality is that successful cities become luxury playgrounds for the rich - a sort of pyrhhic victory. Height, and even density, may do little to ameliorate this.

One other thing: his recommendations at the end are rather silly.

Overall though, a very interesting point of view.

In my opinion, no.

I'm assuming you're mounting a defense of the status quo.

Two challenges...

1. Name 10 buildings over the past 15 years that have gone up that you'd cite as an example of "world-class" architecture. Is 10 a reasonable number? You can include State Street (One Lincoln) since it was permitted 11 years ago.

2. Explain why the Boston Seaport is a vast expanse of parking lots 12 years after the property owners sought and received a redevelopment plan, 20 years after Seaport property owners sought and received public investment in CAT exit/entrance, MBTA, BCEC, etc.
Good point.

I would suggest that the primary impact of Boston's Byzantine rules of development are to dramatically delay and reduce the supply. Which in turn drives up prices.

I didn't mean to suggest that the rules of development have no impact on the quality. But all I saw in the original article was a bunch of hand waving.

But for that matter, maybe Boston's rules of development actually result in better buildings. Again, let me compare 111 Huntington or One Lincoln to what was the Shawmut Bank tower (now One Federal) or One Boston Place. Or the original Prudential Center.

As an example of corporate dis-interest in iconic architecture, I posted photos of the HQ of eight companies that probably have a market cap of $900 billion or more, which suggests at least some could readily afford an iconic HQ. But they don't seem much interested in having iconic buildings either.

Rifleman actually answered this question already. The Eight Companies that you mentioned are technology companies. They are not financial companies that requires being grouped close together with other nearby services. As thus, they tend to be built out of the CBD and away from the city without any high density buildings in order to save cost. In other words, they are not the type that would need high profile buildings. Give me one major tech firm located in the CBD or a cluster of high-rises.

But for that matter, maybe Boston's rules of development actually result in better buildings. Again, let me compare 111 Huntington or One Lincoln to what was the Shawmut Bank tower (now One Federal) or One Boston Place. Or the original Prudential Center.

It is difficult to compare when buildings are built 30-40 years apart. It's not as if other cities were churning out gems during the 60's and 70's. Speaking of which, would today's rules of development allow a John Hancock Tower?

^dzh22 ^dan

"Rules" of development?

We've come full circle to the Campbell article. There are no rules that you can count on. The zoning code is never aligned (or re-aligned after "master planning") with a vision of the future. Boston zoning code is a tool to get you to the negotiation table.

Glaeser is living in the past. The future of the city can be found in Seacaucus, not lower Manhattan. Why do I say that?

High-frequency trading is already dominating financial exchanges, and computers, which do all high-frequency trading, are pushing out human beings. And now they're writing algorithms in which the computers instantaneously scan info appearing on the 'net from reliable news sources, blogs, twitter messages 24/7/365, and using that information to execute trades. Little or no human intervention.

In Seacaucus and environs are the server banks and network nodes for the high frequency traders, located proximate to each other so they can gain milliseconds in speed. The Chicago Board or trade spent hundreds of millions building a dedicated 'pipe' from Chicago to Seacaucus to avoid having to go through the normal netowk nodes, and thus gained milliseconds in time.

When financial entities start spending multi-millions to gain a few milliseconds, humans are irrelevant and so are the buildings they once worked in.

I think the mathematicians who write the algorithms that the computers that do the high-frequency trades prefer low-rise buildings in pastoral settings. But you'd have to speak to them.

In any event, the floor traders on the exchanges are going the way of the telephone operators and the party-line.

Rifleman actually answered this question already. The Eight Companies that you mentioned are technology companies. They are not financial companies that requires being grouped close together with other nearby services. As thus, they tend to be built out of the CBD and away from the city without any high density buildings in order to save cost. In other words, they are not the type that would need high profile buildings. Give me one major tech firm located in the CBD or a cluster of high-rises.

Here you go, why the financial companies are investing billions in facilities outside the CBD.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/business/02speed.html?scp=2&sq=high frequency trading&st=cse

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/23/business/23trading.html?scp=9&sq=computers reading twitter&st=cse

Show me a high-rise which is nothing but a server bank.

As a point of reference, the dollar value of financial transaction carried out, world-wide in 2007 was over $2.0 quadrillion. Do you think human gnomes in CBDs all over the world are doing that volume of trading?

This is the largest of the clearinghouses for this trading. There are others.
http://www.dtcc.com/news/press/releases/2008/record_settlements.php

^^^^
"The Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation (DTCC) announced today it cleared and settled more than $1.86 quadrillion in securities transactions in 2007"

Last edited:
Stellar - that's all true, but there are a lot of other functions that go into a financial economy other than floor trading. Most people who work in financial institutions or associated businesses, like law or accounting firms, have never seen the inside of a stock exchange, but aren't about to be replaced by trading algorithms either.

I don't think height itself is the panacea he makes it out to be.

Agreed.

Density can be achieved without height, and height does not necessary equal density (e.g. towers in a park). And then, density (or height, or both if you make them equivalent) does not equal affordability despite the math he tries to concoct.

A measure and sustainable balance between both is the ideal. That ideal does not currently exist in Boston, and it'll never take root under Boss Menino and the BRA.

One other thing: his recommendations at the end are rather silly.

Perhaps they seem silly when seen through the lens of our benighted permitting process, but isn't the concept of payments made by developers for "adverse" impact model awfully similar to creating public amenities and linkage payments?

Overall though, a very interesting point of view.

That's why I posted it. Like I said, stirring the pot...

Glaeser is living in the past. The future of the city can be found in Seacaucus, not lower Manhattan.

The future of financial services, securities trading, and international banking may indeed be in a climate-controlled server room. I don't directly link that change in business process management to the way that most people who work outside of those endeavors will conduct their lives in an urban setting for the next century. Do you?

Last edited:
Here you go, why the financial companies are investing billions in facilities outside the CBD.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/business/02speed.html?scp=2&sq=high frequency trading&st=cse

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/23/business/23trading.html?scp=9&sq=computers reading twitter&st=cse

Show me a high-rise which is nothing but a server bank.

As a point of reference, the dollar value of financial transaction carried out, world-wide in 2007 was over $2.0 quadrillion. Do you think human gnomes in CBDs all over the world are doing that volume of trading?

This is the largest of the clearinghouses for this trading. There are others.
http://www.dtcc.com/news/press/releases/2008/record_settlements.php

^^^^
"The Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation (DTCC) announced today it cleared and settled more than $1.86 quadrillion in securities transactions in 2007"
The links you provided doesn't specify the location of these firms. Are these tech firms located in high-dense buildings? From the first link, it is located in an office park. Also, I don't see your point about financial firms are investing in locations outside of CBDs. Financial, law firms, and many other group into cities in order to take advantage of the services provided within them such as Hotels, Conventions, Banks, etc. There is no disputing that, else cities won't exist in the first place.

As for the design of buildings, nothing you have provided has prove otherwise to what I have said. You chose SF's Mission Bay in attempt to disprove it. But as I said before, any firms relocating there are seeking cheaper alternative and as such the design reflects that. Firms that conduct business and requires the usage of nearby services group into the city. Developers vying for tenants shape their buildings to their tenant's liking and in turn tenants make their decision based on the building's design and amenities. See 30 St. Mary Axe in London and the employment of lightwells that are used to create relaxation area to improve productivity among workers. To even question that the design of a building is not used to attract tenants and additional contracts for further jobs is inane. How do famous architects gain reputation and why do firms choose these architects over others? And tenants would always choose a better design over a crappier design barring financial cost differences because of the exposure they gain especially if the building becomes more well known.

Tech firms which do not group themselves in CBDs because they do not need services such as banks or much face time as part of their daily purpose group away to take advantage of technology spillover, common material pools, and test facilities that requires horizontal space rather than vertical. As such, the design of the headquarter reflects that.

I'd be interested to hear what people think is different about the Fenway, where on the surface at least it seems things are going right...

Is the BRA taking a different approach there, are the developers of a different ilk, or is it something about the economics or demographics of the area?

Fenway is a central location in the city with access to a lot of infrastructure, hospitals, offices, institutions, and amenities. If it weren't for the student ghetto-ization of the neighborhood on the heels of rent control and the adjacency of a traffic inducing ballpark, it would have had a renaissance long ago.

It's the one area of the city where the zoning was amended to be reasonable for development, with the community's input as to avoid opposition to development later, and the mayor's office isn't interested enough to muck it up with personal politics.

Once dormitories are housing most of the students and the ballpark area, with urbanization, is no longer seen as an commuter centric suburban parking lot style destination, Fenway will probably seem more like an extension of Back Bay.

The same will likely be true for similar former streetcar developed middle class urban areas like Brighton. Once the student factor is neutralized, all of a sudden people are going to jump on the properties for the convenience of living close to the city without need for a car. It'll turn into a more affordable version of neighboring Brookline.

Fenway is a central location in the city with access to a lot of infrastructure, hospitals, offices, institutions, and amenities.

Yes, but couldn't the same be broadly said about the Seaport, Columbus Center, the West End...

If it weren't for the student ghetto-ization of the neighborhood on the heels of rent control and the adjacency of a traffic inducing ballpark, it would have had a renaissance long ago.

The Seaport has been sitting fallow for years and years, a stone's throw from the financial district. Surely it too could have been ripe for a renaissance long ago?

It's the one area of the city where the zoning was amended to be reasonable for development, with the community's input as to avoid opposition to development later, and the mayor's office isn't interested enough to muck it up with personal politics.

Sure, but why is this true here and not, apparently, elsewhere?

Once dormitories are housing most of the students and the ballpark area, with urbanization, is no longer seen as an commuter centric suburban parking lot style destination, Fenway will probably seem more like an extension of Back Bay.

The same will likely be true for similar former streetcar developed middle class urban areas like Brighton. Once the student factor is neutralized, all of a sudden people are going to jump on the properties for the convenience of living close to the city without need for a car. It'll turn into a more affordable version of neighboring Brookline.

I get that neighborhoods change and gentrify, but that doesn't necessarily mean new developments are being or will be built. Again, Fenway is different - I don't think we'll be seeing a Boylstonization of Market Street no matter how attractive Brighton may become.

Agreed.

The future of financial services, securities trading, and international banking may indeed be in a climate-controlled server room. I don't directly link that change in business process management to the way that most people who work outside of those endeavors will conduct their lives in an urban setting for the next century. Do you?

IMO, what in the past used to be collaboration and intercourse (in the business sense) by proximity is being supplanted by collaboration and intercourse from a distance. Small example, the need for messenger services is less because documents are distributed electronically, dispensing with the third-party hand delivery.

With the advent of computing via the cloud, and the rise of a generation whose world centers on their Blackberry, the iPad apps, and their Twitter feeds, the connectivity has increasingly become electronic, not face-to-face.

In the Great Boston Fire (19th Century) which destroyed much of the financial district, 10,000 women supposedly lost their jobs. Their occupations, I'm sure, centered on the generation, replication, distribution, and storage of paper documents. From the standpoint of efficiency, they needed to work together in the same building, or nearby. No longer is that proximity needed.

I am not suggesting that CBDs are going to wither, I'm only positing that I very much doubt they're a growth sector that will be demanding lots of new buildings, particularly expensive ones. (Even putting aside companies moving all their back-office functions out of $50 a sq ft space.)

And finally, there was this little tidbit a few days ago:
The incredible shrinking workspace has whittled an average office worker's 90 square feet in 1994 down to "75 square feet in 2010, according to the International Facility Management Association, a professional network for the facility management industry."

IMO, what in the past used to be collaboration and intercourse (in the business sense) by proximity is being supplanted by collaboration and intercourse from a distance.

Absolutely. If this weren't the case, we'd have to go to a bar to have this discussion, maybe over big glasses of Single Malt.

If business typologies as we know them today morph into the electronic ether in the next couple of decades, cities and "the urban experience" may indeed become more important. People want to interact with one another -- it's the very thing that keeps us human. I IM and Skype with friends and family across the world, I've watched the Berlin Philharmonic live on my MacBook, but there's no substitute for the real thing. And there's no better place to "get real" than in a dense urban environment. I'd take five minutes on a street corner in NYC or Osaka than the thousands of photos I've taken when visiting.

^ This. Note that there's been a spectacular correlation between the revival of US cities and the rise of internet use / connectivity. And it's not just a matter of preferences: technology and telecommuting freed a lot of people from the shackles of car ownership / parking they had been forced to accept in the servitude of bosses who had located jobs outside city centers.

As for the arguments about horizontality and facetime...a lot of financial institutions that incorporate trading floors into their facilities still locate in city centers, despite the fact that much of this trading is electronic and huge horizontal floorplates aren't very economical downtown.

There's also an underreported trend in tech companies locating in cities. The old Silicon Valley big boys have stayed put, sure, but a lot of more recent startups or major satellite offices have urban HQs. Flickr is in Downtown SF. Google NY takes up a giant building in the middle of Manhattan. All the biotechs want to be clustered in Cambridge. I have friends in New York who are independent app developers who lease space in collaborative work environments in the middle of the city so they can swap ideas and trade know-how with like minded people all day. Maybe it's just easier to show someone how to do something in person than via Twitter; maybe they're just undermotivated if / don't want to be alone.

Kenmore vs. Kendall | Paul McMorrowMay 01, 2011|By Paul McMorrow

In Cambridge, hands-off stance keeps Kendall vibrant

LET?S GET this one thing out of the way: Main Street in Cambridge, around the Kendall Square T stop, isn?t winning any beauty awards anytime soon. But the brick corridor doesn?t have to be the Champs-Elysees. It?s the backbone of the world?s most innovative neighborhood, and it does its job just fine.

There?s no greater concentration of entrepreneurial effort. The telephone call was born in Kendall, and so was the operating system running your new Android phone. Kendall boasts more startups and more lab space per square mile than anywhere else. It?s a huge reason why the Boston area nets more venture capital investment, per capita, than Silicon Valley. It?s also a far livelier place than it gets credit for being.

None of this happened through some concentrated planning effort. Kendall Square?s unique high-tech cluster is an ecosystem feeding on education, technology, and private investment. The cluster sustains itself. It thrives, in part, because Cambridge?s city government stays out of its way.

The conventional wisdom behind neighborhood-building ? that it starts with small buildings, residential foot traffic, and loads of ground-floor retail ? doesn?t really apply here. Kendall is a business district feeding off a university that, for a while, had a hot and heavy love affair with heroic concrete buildings. Modernist superblocks and inward-focused commercial buildings don?t normally make for vibrant neighborhoods. Hence the knock on Main Street.

But MIT changes the equation. The brains working and studying there attract businesses and investors who need places to work and eat and live. In addition to MIT dorms, there are scores of new apartments, and more are on the way. There?s a farmer?s market and an indie cinema and a kayak launch in the canal. The Cambridge Innovation Center?s weekly open-door mixer bustles, and a mob crowds outside the neighborhood breakfast joint on weekends. Kendall has quietly become the best neighborhood, on either side of the Charles, to grab a beer. Those food trucks that Boston is suddenly wild about didn?t come from nowhere; they came from across the Longfellow.

Much of the action after business hours happens toward the neighborhood?s edges. The dark, aging core remains a problem, although not an intractable one. MIT plans to build a million square feet of new office space over the next decade, plus 100,000 square feet of new retail space. That construction, along with the other 4.5 million square feet in the development pipeline, will help enliven Kendall?s dead spots. As long as the neighborhood can build, it can fix its own problems.

Cambridge?s city government hasn?t been shy about issuing development permits in Kendall, nor is it squeamish about density there. It knows the Kendall area accounts for 60 percent of Cambridge?s tax base. Those dollars let the city spend more money per public-school student than Marblehead, Wellesley, Weston, Newton, or nearly any other city or town in the state. It?s pure progressive politics: Big Pharma picks up the tab.

In Boston, Tom Menino?s success in reviving Kenmore Square is a fine example of how political power can be brought to bear against pancake parlors and rock clubs, but Kenmore?s makeover tells us little about fostering job growth in today?s business environment. Maybe that?s why Boston?s latest vision for the South Boston waterfront looks so much like Cambridge.

I'm really not that impressed with how Kenmore Square evolved over the years. I actually miss the old dumpy area walking to Fenway park. It's the same with North Station. That area completely lost all it's character.

Back