Why the BRA Needs to Go

datadyne007

Staff member
Reaction score
From Boston Magazine:
The Authority
By Rachel Slade | Boston Magazine | June 2013

bra1.jpg

In this town, the Boston Redevelopment Authority rules supreme. Accountable only to the mayor, it exerts total control over zoning, planning, and development—an anachronistic concentration of power not found anywhere else in the country. As the Menino era draws to a close, it’s time for the agency to go.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2013/05/28/boston-redevelopment-authority

YES YES YES. Please share this with EVERYONE you know and start encouraging them to pressure the mayoral candidates with the request to disband the BRA. Make disbanding the BRA a mayoral platform, gain support and hype up the cause and you have yourself a perfect candidate.

Last edited:
That wasn't as damming as I'd hoped. Would have had more of an impact if it was full of animated gif memes.

Van, I think you need to create a Kairos Shen meme.

• "Not boring enough..."
• "Needs more precast..."
• "Use Alucobond instead of zinc -- it's cheaper..."

How about Shitty Building Bingo? I can think of lots of squares, like, demolishes 100+ yr old building, or has above-ground parking garage, or has precast exterior, or is a Fallon development (instant winner?), etc., etc.

I actually think that the article and its comments, so far, are pretty encouraging. They're saying a lot of the same things that many here, including myself, have been saying for a long time. I really hope this is indicative of a growing awareness of these issues in the city's population, and that this helps play a major role in the upcoming election.

Van, I think you need to create a Kairos Shen meme.

• "Not boring enough..."
• "Needs more precast..."
• "Use Alucobond instead of zinc -- it's cheaper..."

"Too iconic..."

Stroller-pushing breeders was my favorite part of the comments. While maybe a little light, it's nice to see someone finally step up and clearly explain the problem. Now that the Mayor's announced he's not running, of course.

What gives me pause is the eagerness that many known NIMBYs have for this idea of breaking up the BRA. Maybe the BRA ain't so bad after all, if they don't like it. Will we see a new age of obstructionism?

BRA: How it works — and is funded

By:

Chris Cassidy

Nearly every major Hub construction project must pass through the Boston Redevelopment Authority, a quasi-public agency with a $47.7 million budget.

The mayor has the greatest influence over the makeup of the BRA, with the power to appoint four out of its five board members, subject to City Council approval. The governor appoints the fifth.

There are no term limits to the five-year stints — the longest-serving member dates back to the days of the late Mayor Kevin H. White. Chairman Clarence “Jeep” Jones, for instance, was first appointed to the board in 1981.

BRA Director Peter Meade — the city’s chief economic development officer — was nominated by Mayor Thomas M. Menino in 2011 and confirmed by the BRA.

The agency receives no funding from the city but will take in $49.5 million this year from a variety of other sources, according to its budget.

Much of that money — some $17.8 million — comes from state and federal grants. Some $17 million derives from rent and other income from the Marine Industrial Park, which the BRA owns. Another $9.8 million comes from rental, lease and other long-term deals from various properties it controls, such as the Charlestown Navy Yard, the China Trade Building, Sargent’s Wharf and Rowes Wharf.

Other income sources include $1.7 million from land and building sales and $410,000 from interest income, and the sale of maps, publications and certain fees.

Some 80 percent of the BRA’s costs are personnel-related, projected to be $17.6 million this year.

Under the BRA’s stewardship, there is more than $4.6 billion in development underway across the city, with lots of other planning studies in the works, agency spokeswoman Susan Elsbree said.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/06/bra_how_it_works_and_is_funded

What gives me pause is the eagerness that many known NIMBYs have for this idea of breaking up the BRA. Maybe the BRA ain't so bad after all, if they don't like it. Will we see a new age of obstructionism?

Breaking up the BRA into constituent agencies is probably needed to end the cronyism and corruption that plagues the Authority (of course, it also could just spread it around). The flip side is it gives NIMBYs more disparate stages in the approval process to gum up the works. The more agencies something goes through the more of a chance NIMBYs have of breaking through.

Honestly, many archBostononians wouldn't hate the BRA if it were staffed by different people, with a "better" vision for development in the city. But you're right, people who think ridding ourselves of the BRA will trigger a Golden Age for development in Boston may be missing that the NIMBYs will be emboldened by a more open process.

Right. The BRA needs to be fixed, not imploded.

The idea is solid. The implementation is ...lacking.

When it rains it pours...

I'll say this about the Herald. When they're right, they're right.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio.../06/bra_s_independence_has_eroded_critics_say

BRA’s independence has eroded, critics say

Friday, June 7, 2013
By:

Dave Wedge, Richard Weir and Erin Smith

The Boston Redevelopment Authority — under fire in the mayor’s race for favoritism and secrecy — has morphed from a powerful independent economic development engine into an arm of City Hall doing the bidding of Mayor Thomas M. Menino, critics say.
“The mayor has used it very much as a tool of his office, and people aren’t treated equally by the BRA,” said Karmaloop.com CEO Greg Selkoe, a former BRA employee and vocal critic of the Menino administration. “If you’re connected, you get a totally different process, and the laws aren’t very clear.”
Menino’s public backing of projects — or opposition — has long held hefty sway as developers not only struggle to navigate the complex maze that is the City Hall approval process, but also desperately seek his blessing. The mayor has publicly backed developments that have forever altered the city’s landscape and stonewalled efforts to build skyscrapers he doesn’t like.

“Each neighborhood in our city has had a front row seat to Boston’s dysfunctional planning and development process over the years,” said former City Councilor Michael Flaherty, who criticized the mayor’s grip on the BRA when he ran for mayor in 2009.
“Developers and residents alike are often forced to guess what may or may not be appropriate. This confusion pits everyone against each other as they try to figure how to play by the hidden, changing or nonexistent rules, in which case it becomes more about who you hire,” said Flaherty, who is running for City Council.
The Herald reported yesterday that two top tier mayoral candidates — Councilors John R. Connolly and Michael P. Ross — called for more transparency at the BRA.
While in charge for the past 20 years, Menino has demanded to be in the development loop even before projects are formally presented to the BRA, an unwritten rule officials say can mean the difference between a multi-million-dollar project being greenlighted or sunk.
“(Developers) make sure the mayor is aware of the development before even going ... to the BRA,” said Sam Tyler, director of the Boston Municipal Research Bureau, a City Hall watchdog agency. “I think everyone knows the mayor doesn’t like surprises, so they want to make sure they keep him informed.”
Under previous mayors, the BRA and its executive directors have exercised more power and independence. In the 1960s, Mayor John Collins gave BRA chief Edward Logue free rein to transform rundown Scollay Square into Government Center. Under Mayor Raymond L. Flynn, BRA head Stephen Coyle was also given a free hand to make development decisions.
“If you ask people to describe the BRA and the Zoning Board,” Flynn said of Menino’s administration, “they will probably say that they are unaccountable to the people of Boston’s neighborhoods.”
Among the major projects Menino has famously backed or opposed:
• Last year, developer Donald Chiofaro abandoned dreams of a $1 billion twin skyscraper complex near the New England Aquarium with offices, housing and a hotel after fighting Menino — mainly over the height of the towers — for more than three years;
• The mayor was reportedly so hands-on with 111 Huntington Ave. at the Prudential Center — known as the “R2D2 Building” — that he personally requested the unique spires on top so that it wouldn’t add more block-style buildings to the city’s skyline.
Menino spokeswoman Dot Joyce defended the mayor, saying, “The BRA is an easy target — it’s the change agency and has been extremely successful in transforming this city and helping to make Boston the youngest city in the country.”
BRA spokeswoman Susan Elsbree said: “We are not getting involved in the campaign.”

Economic development and the stewardship of our built environment are two mutually exclusive responsibilities, and they are often in fundamental opposition (i.e. SCL, Dainty Dot, Gaiety Theatre, etc). As it's currently constituted, the BRA does a piss-poor job with both of its charges.

The BRA needs to be fixed, not imploded.
So no, don't throw away the blackboard, but wash it clean, and write something worth reading on it for a change.

Under previous mayors, the BRA and its executive directors have exercised more power and independence. In the 1960s, Mayor John Collins gave BRA chief Edward Logue free rein to transform rundown Scollay Square into Government Center.

Is this supposed to make me feel better about giving the BRA more independence?!

Menino blasts mayoral candidates, defends BRA

Thomas Grillo
Real Estate Editor-
Boston Business Journal

Mayor Thomas M. Menino used a groundbreaking ceremony on Friday to blast the two mayoral candidates who, he said, want to “blow up” the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

“As I leave office, there are some folks out there who want to change the whole system of development, and if that system changes, there will not be any development in the city of Boston for a year and a half,” said Menino without naming City Councilor John Connolly and State Rep. Martin Walsh who have campaigned for mayor on bringing sweeping changes to the city’s planning and development agency.

In a spirited defense of the BRA, Menino praised the agency’s staff, noting that they are responsible for millions of square feet of development and that they are moving the city forward and creating jobs. While the candidates have called for more transparency at the BRA, Menino said each project goes through multiple steps before approval.

“No one should stop the growth we have in the city and we can’t allow anyone to put these folks (BRA staffers) on the bench,” he added. “Thanks to the BRA we are getting the job done.”

In an interview with the Boston Business Journal following the groundbreaking for the $70 million Envoy Hotel, Menino referred to plans by Walsh and Connolly to bring major changes to the BRA.

“They want to destroy the BRA. The BRA is an economic engine for the city," Menino said. "How else did we get all these cranes out here? Not by wishing it would happen. It took a lot of work. And the issue they talk about is we need more transparency. Every project goes though neighborhood review, governmental review and the BRA review, three steps. And some of these projects have 30 to 40 community meetings. I mean, do you want to slow down development? Everyone in the community has a say and the BRA has not approved — as long as I’ve been around — a project that has been rejected by a neighborhood, not one.”

On the new hotel under construction on a former parking lot next to the Barking Crab in the Seaport District, the mayor said it is a great location for tourists, business travelers, conventioneers and anyone who uses the federal courthouse.

Norwich Partners of Vermont broke ground on the 100,000-square-foot boutique hotel at 66 Sleeper St. When completed in 2015, the project will include 136 luxury guest rooms as well as a restaurant and bar. The plan also calls for a public roof deck with a bar and lounge that will offer city views. FPC Hotel LLC, an entity of Norwich Partners, bought the 16,910-square-foot lot in 2011 for $8.99 million.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...o-blasts-candidates-defends-bra.html?page=all

I guess without the BRA the city of Boston would never have development.

EDIT: See above and below.

Last edited:
^ As a general word of warning/FYI - Posting full articles from behind paywalls is ill-advised, as we've gotten in trouble in the past from Banker & Tradesman.

It is a great article though.

Like to know when the FBI is going to start investigating these criminals and finally shut the doors to this corrupt agency.

I'm starting to believe that either Martha Coakley is getting paid off to look the other way or just looking the other way because she is so worried about her political career. The bells were ringing when Michael Kinevey was deleting all the emails from the hard-drive.

SHE DID NOTHING.

Back