Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

these people are seriously, and truly nuts; abjectly terrified by an hour of shadows on a park, to go along with their zero-tolerance attitudes toward any benefit to the city that in any way, less-benefits 'them'...i never even had an idea such a minimal amount of shadows were considered bad by people.

i have always loved the shadows cast by the towers downtown on a hot summer day. the sun is so weak in the winter months, the heat given is of minimal benefit. it's usually so low, i have to squint, half blinded.

i'm also amazed by how little those who oppose this project are moved when even hearing all the nearly limitless good reason/s to support it... not the least being the people who desperately need housing relief, and those in the communities near Roxbury who will benefit from a revitalized Franklin Park.

i think these angry 'nimby people' just have a special area in their lives reserved for expending energy hating developers and development in general. notice how so many of these people either decry or never credit the BPDA for all of our wonderful, and beneficial infill and thoughtfully, and wonderfully executed mid-rise projects.

then, we so seldom mention the economic 'multipliers' of >700' Boston supertalls.

wow Kressel; what a miserable mug.

way (WAY...) more support being voiced for this project than opposition. if reason, logic, and respect for expressed public opinion are taken into consideration, this will happen.

All the young people support it. the few people who oppose it are mainly 60~80 year old selfish Brahmins from Back Bay and Beacon Hill, who obviously have a great distain for the young diverse and populace. They not only, love hanging the millstones upon their backs, but they flaunt it; without a concern in the world for increasing the economic stability of this city.

Weren't the renders we got showing it at 750? I don't think they've released the 775 number they're going for and I wonder how that will do for the chunkiness of the tower. A slimmer version of this tower could look very good. I already like it as is but some visual trimming almost always has a net gain in the weight of the building. I don't think they're really chomping at the bit to release anything that makes this thing taller so I don't really expect it to happen but It would be cool to see if those extra feet do anything much. What were the FAA numbers also...is this 775' the no shit top of the roof.

I remember at one point they were even looking into ways to make it cast less of a shadow so they were thinking of trying to rotate the tower a bit or even make it thinner. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

wow Kressel; what a miserable mug.

Just watched her testimony; I'm highly conflicted. On the one hand, in the abstract/generic sense, the city could use as many vigilant watchdog types like Kressel as possible--regardless of how anyone might want to peg her ("hard left" "progressive", whatever) on the political spectrum.

On the other hand, she comes across as embittered and also not a little granstanding about her past record. She also cited so much stuff, in her litany of grievances, that was totally superflous to the matter at hand. And she had a nasty edge, frankly, not conducive to the spirit of decent and humane civic debate. But I suppose those are all unavoidable adjuncts, in a sense, the unpleasant corollary to her tireless efforts?

Aren't the shadows that would supposedly be cast only be in the winter? How is that supposed to harm plant life?

Do when is the final vote? They can't possibly drag this out any further.

Yes, it's going to be a short while yet.....

After the Shadow Law recommendations clear the City Council – it goes to the State.

It must have killed the Globe to write that article about overall support for the project. Opponents have absolutely no regard for the good a windfall of revenue can do for inner city residents. Its astounding how tone deaf they are.

Just watched her testimony; I'm highly conflicted. On the one hand, in the abstract/generic sense, the city could use as many vigilant watchdog types like Kressel as possible--regardless of how anyone might want to peg her ("hard left" "progressive", whatever) on the political spectrum.

On the other hand, she comes across as embittered and also not a little granstanding about her past record. She also cited so much stuff, in her litany of grievances, that was totally superflous to the matter at hand. And she had a nasty edge, frankly, not conducive to the spirit of decent and humane civic debate. But I suppose those are all unavoidable adjuncts, in a sense, the unpleasant corollary to her tireless efforts?

I believe this is known as the Gish Gallop.

Simply put, Shirley Kressel is a loon. I'm a progressive myself and in no way shape form or function do I want that nutjob lumped in with the rest of us. A true progressive would care about the money being received here to improve the lives of lower income Boston residents. Shirley is out for headlines and nothing else.

As I said before, this project is NIMBYs' Waterloo. They couldn't go after Dalton St because the site itself is NIMBY proof, and they had to swallow MT because the public was sick of looking at a hole in the ground for a decade even though that building casts some pretty big Common shadows. If yet another 700 footer goes up on their watch, they are now officially powerless to block tall buildings for non-FAA related reasons.

Simply put, Shirley Kressel is a loon. I'm a progressive myself and in no way shape form or function do I want that nutjob lumped in with the rest of us. A true progressive would care about the money being received here to improve the lives of lower income Boston residents. Shirley is out for headlines and nothing else.

She isn't a nut job! She lays out real arguments and opinions, which, agree with them or not, are not crazy

She isn't a nut job! She lays out real arguments and opinions, which, agree with them or not, are not crazy

If the city of Boston can't build a 1,000ft tower here the city will never see one.
There is no NIMBY's around this area. The area is surrounded by 400-600ft buildings.

The Boston NIMBYS are forcing more developments outside of Boston because of there ANTI height shadow laws which is actually creating more traffic for the entire state.

Ned? Asking all these odd height-centric questions, over and over, then throwing your support behind Crazy Shirley, makes me cringe all the more. ARE YOU A SPY? Have you been playing us all for fools?

She flat-out lied or slandered the Board, Director and City Councilors something like 137 times in her slanderous, angry metaphor-laced tirade.

so, i eagerly await anyone to listen to her public testimony and not label her as the crazy demonic creature she is!

Anyway, i ripped her a good one in the Globe today!

Tosh said:
The biggest BOO goes out to the slanderous rantings by 1 Shirley Kressel;
What a miserable and dishonest mugging of our fine public servants who strive to find the proper balance for Boston. Your rantings not only should be stricken from the record - you deserve to be barred from ever speaking at a public assembly in the City of Boston ever again. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself.

Turns out this tower rises to 775' with the mechanicals!

leave it to Millennium to bring the PAIN!!

Ned? Asking all these odd height-centric questions, over and over, then throwing your support behind Crazy Shirley, makes me cringe all the more. ARE YOU A SPY? Have you been playing us all for fools?

Oh, please. I've already been accused of being you, and if you actually read my posts it will become clear that I'm not a NIMBY.

Whoops. Misread/thought you were saying Shirley Leung.

Back