Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Concrete trucks were out there this morning too.

Just curious in case someone goes berserk but is there anything significant holding back the project now, barring a total collapse of the economy? Lets say they officially change the height to 702 but otherwise keep the same design. Aren't all the relevant govt agencies needed for final approval already on board with the project? Please note the word "relevant" put in there purposefully to exclude lifelong useless hack Bill Galvin. ;)

Nothing has been posted with the FAA outside of the 758' height in April. I'm also curious if the 702' really means 702' to the top, or 702' plus mech and still getting around 725'. We won't know until they file another case. (even then the faa site is clearly an imperfect method)

DKk8ftNX0AAj1rV.jpg

11.6 years, a great recession, 2 Mayors, 12 city councilors and 7 lawsuits later.......

but, the gentleman says; Cities are old..... they've learned to wait.

Well, I would hope so.

The developer can't just cut 12 storeys off the building with an eraser and start construction on Monday.

You might not agree w/ Bill Galvin but he is the Secretary of State and has legal recourse.

Presumably, the city wants there to be an empty lot there (let's just call it "doing a Filene's") to generate support for ... "SOMETHING".

Just curious in case someone goes berserk but is there anything significant holding back the project now, barring a total collapse of the economy? Lets say they officially change the height to 702 but otherwise keep the same design. Aren't all the relevant govt agencies needed for final approval already on board with the project? Please note the word "relevant" put in there purposefully to exclude lifelong useless hack Bill Galvin. ;)

At the moment, they're only demolishing the garage. Nothing else... At least that's how I understood it.

The developer can't just cut 12 storeys off the building.....

i was going to mention that in the previous post but was pulled away (Zuma Beach); it doesn't need to be 758' tall: it needs to keep the same number of floors, and go MT-all-residential to achieve that. ...hell, they're trying to bring life to DTX, that's how; then, everybody wins!

Rich people who buy expensive condos and stay there a few weeks a year do not constitute bringing life to a neighborhood imho. Heck in the Millennium Tower none of the businesses surrounding it really cater to the Millennium Tower clientele. I doubt people are buying 10 million dollar condos and shopping at Primark and Old Navy.

I think the best type of development (other then retail/commercial) to liven up an area is a hotel.

Wrong parcel for that and still pay Boston all that $$$.

A hotel would have to be shaped like Belkin's 2nd (L-shaped) proposal from 3 years ago.

The parcel for an iconic super-tall hotel & condo's is 65 Martha Rd.

Presumably, the city wants there to be an empty lot there (let's just call it "doing a Filene's") to generate support for ... "SOMETHING".

The abandoned garage is (City-sponsored) manufactured blight. Looks like Mayor Mahty wants to amplify it a tad...

The design that we know isn't even the final design anyways. Gauging off of how good everything is we've gotten proposed lately I expect it to be very good and in the same video where he explained that this isn't the final design he explained how this is the final massing because of the way the site is shaped so thats at least a good sign that it wont be changing drastically. Were just still waiting for the final iteration to come out, which it will when its closer to construction time. Once the garage is torn down thats a good sign because the city is not going to want another empty lot sitting around downtown for a while so they'll push to get it built.

The abandoned garage is (City-sponsored) manufactured blight. Looks like Mayor Mahty wants to amplify it a tad...

Yes, but they now run the risk of creating some much beloved "open space". Remember there were people who were seriously calling to have the Filene's hole turned into a park.

Yes, but they now run the risk of creating some much beloved "open space". Remember there were people who were seriously calling to have the Filene's hole turned into a park.

From a pure risk mitigation standpoint, that garage is a massive attractive nuisance--no amount of patrols & cameras can prevent people from breaking in to it and committing acts of mayhem that may harm the very very expensive surrounding skyscrapers. So the abutters almost certainly prefer a wide-open park where any would-be criminal (up to a terrorist, let's not kid ourselves, an abandoned garage in the abstract is a highly tempting target) has zero cover. Everything else here being discussed, I suspect folks are overthinking.

Dropping down to 700' makes this tower so much less important on the skyline. I hope that is to the top of the tallest floor, because they were allowed more than 700' that would be a huge waste. This is the one spot that has to use as much height as it can, everywhere doesn't really matter. You can save the height talk on the rest of the parcels, but here it is very valid. This is the pinnacle of the skyline as shown below. This completes the spiral stair case from 1ip. If this tops out at 700' this immediately becomes unnoticeable from the water and from the rest of the city its barely taller than MP. This basically will go from crown jewel to anonymous, way to go. There is more allowed than 700', so does anyone know if that is pinnacle height or tallest floor?

You might not agree w/ Bill Galvin but he is the Secretary of State and has legal recourse.

He has no legal recourse. He can run to court all he likes and will get laughed out of it. Most likely because he has no standing to regulate shadows. As I said before, when opponents of the projects started latching onto him as their white knight you pretty much knew they were screwed.

The garage is structurally unsafe. Somebody is willing to give the city 153M to build a tall building in between a bunch of other tall buildings. What am I missing here? :confused:

Dropping down to 700' makes this tower so much less important on the skyline. I hope that is to the top of the tallest floor, because they were allowed more than 700' that would be a huge waste. This is the one spot that has to use as much height as it can, everywhere doesn't really matter. You can save the height talk on the rest of the parcels, but here it is very valid. This is the pinnacle of the skyline as shown below. This completes the spiral stair case from 1ip. If this tops out at 700' this immediately becomes unnoticeable from the water and from the rest of the city its barely taller than MP. This basically will go from crown jewel to anonymous, way to go. There is more allowed than 700', so does anyone know if that is pinnacle height or tallest floor?

If 720-725 is the FAA limit, and the thing goes to 702 lets say, are you really going to notice 20 less feet?

100 ft higher than 1IP and preggo building will still be noticeable

If 720-725 is the FAA limit, and the thing goes to 702 lets say, are you really going to notice 20 less feet?

Psst! I'll let you in on a little secret. Most of the height talk on this forum isn't actually about aesthetics.

Back