Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

More likely factor is the-
B: Over-leveraged debt bubble market created by the Fed.
*Invincible Boston economy could not handle a 3--Month hiccup without collapsing. I would say that's a solid economic foundation in real estate we have in our city.

Whats the Fed into the markets for 6 trillion in stimulus? They can't afford to give MP an extra 200 or 300 Million to allow MP to finish up the tower?

This work stoppage has nothing to do with that, Rifleman.

City developers all over the planet are being spooked by the 1) Coronavirus, 2) likelihood of future pandemics and 3) the exceptional rise of in-home business and entertainment technology. The effects of those three things are far more immediate and effect this type of construction slowdown far more than national debt which (while definitely a concern) has been rising for over 40 years.

Why lock the thread if the project is still in progress? Maybe you should ignore the thread if the negativity is bothering you. Not all projects turn out positive.

Well said, for once.

Stoweker’s reality and experience-based commentary on this project and the state of development as a whole is in my opinion some of the most valuable content this board has hosted possibly ever.

Why lock the thread if the project is still in progress?

Because that remains the unanswered question. Is there actually any progress still going on? Nobody has confirmed anything.

If it's on hold, unless you are literally part of the project team you probably don't know wtf is going on, so everybody here is just spitballing bs.

Because that remains the unanswered question. Is there actually any progress still going on? Nobody has confirmed anything.

If it's on hold, unless you are literally part of the project team you probably don't know wtf is going on, so everybody here is just spitballing bs.

I'm not part of the project team but I was walking around downtown and it is looking very grim and dismal. There are many retail stores that just gave up in the area. I'm sure they will bounce back and I'm sure something will be built in this location in the next real estate cycle.

Isn’t spitballing bs largely the point of internet discussion forums, especially ones that have been monetized with the goal of maximizing page views and ad revenue?

Not locking this thread right now, so drop that line of inquiry. I’ll just remind folks to stick to clear factual analysis and not get obsessive. No need to repeat the same type of commentary over and over.

Stop trolling.
The Winthrop Garage could possibly be the new hole in the city so it will most likely need solutions.
I think the so called luxury condo market in city of Boston will most likely see a turbulent market for a couple of years.

Maybe MP could subsidize there million dollar rental units for affordable housing to our state lawmakers to meet the requirements for state's housing crisis?
The state has a housing crisis right? There is a demand for housing to be built its just not affordable to average working citizen in the country.

Jan 2020--Boston Globe Housing crisis needs all hands on deck

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/01/13/opinion/housing-crisis-needs-all-hands-deck/

Maybe the state can issue a bond to cover the costs of MP construction loan? Interest free or they have to wait till the FED goes Negative rates?
Whats better than getting paid interest payment for borrowing money?

We can build this.

Last edited:
Each of your posts ^^^ essentially re-states your previous points. Unless you're getting off on reading your own words over and over, maybe give it a rest?

The last 20 posts or so is really accentuating my ADHD disorder ... the theme is changing faster than a weather-vane. Is Winthrop Square dead, or not?

Shining Star of Boston? That’s a bold statement

Could be accurate--if it's simply a reference to the building's energy-efficiency and overall "smart" engineering, in terms of all the whiz-bang software programs that are being embedded into its system ops/infrastructure. If the argument is being put forth that it's the most energy-efficient building ever built in Boston, in theory that can be measured objectively, right?

If people think the construction worker was referencing the overall sculptural form and aesthetics, well, that's another matter... what was the worker's tone, DZH? Dripping with sarcasm or truly sincere?

......what was the worker's tone, DZH? Dripping with sarcasm or truly sincere?

He sounded sincere. People who help build these high-profile towers are typically proud of their work. I didn't ask which version was being built or anything, just whether or not it was full speed ahead.

He sounded sincere. People who help build these high-profile towers are typically proud of their work. I didn't ask which version was being built or anything, just whether or not it was full speed ahead.

Millennium Partners raises some questions on how cutting corners can lead to disasters like this development in San Fran.

Millennium Partners raises some questions on how cutting corners can lead to disasters like this development in San Fran.

No corners are cut here. They chopped off square footage in response to the market.

The foundation at this site is more than adequate. During the initial approval process, when the fiasco in San Fran was in full swing, neighboring buildings requested that MP get extensive testing and consulting to ensure its building and foundation will not falter, tilt, sink, or affect any neighboring buildings. That's part of the reason it took so long to get the vertical construction on this going. The slurry walls are 4 feet thick in some parts and extremely deep.

If anything, the decrease in square footage means the foundation is technically overbuilt in parts.

Walked by at around 1pm to get some lunch, and there were no workers on the site.

Walked by at around 1pm to get some lunch, and there were no workers on the site.
Sorry to say I can confirm this because I was at the site around 12:30PM today. I did see two workers at the Devonshire Street gate (all other gates locked shut) one driving a front loader and the other attending the gate. No other workerss on site or around the outside of the site eating lunch. Ghostly Quiet!

IMG_6976 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6979 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6981 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6982 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6984 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6987 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Back