Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what % of the project's overall cost has already been expended? I know the thing is barely out of the ground but they did a lot of work over the last year or so even with the COVID stopage.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what % of the project's overall cost has already been expended? I know the thing is barely out of the ground but they did a lot of work over the last year or so even with the COVID stopage.
I'd say 15-20%

FYI...I checked the Suffolk County Deeds Website and Millennium posed an amended agreement with the city reflective of the recent changes to the building and affordable housing payment formulas. Hopefully this is indicative for work continuing to go forward.

Looks like there is some construction work going on.
B23EB7AD-EE16-438A-B1AB-DAC46337D3E2.jpeg

You were right, liplipliplip --- some major steel started rising this weekend. Not the best photo (lighting wasn't ideal), but I tried to get the same angle as Nibbles's photo [Liplip...Nibbles...I'm starting to think I work in a pet store. Or a 1980s' strip club. But I digress]. Anyway, the beams are each approximately 40 feet tall. Taken Sunday afternoon:

IMG_7435.JPG

I’m lost....where’s the globe article ? It seems like all the trends are doom and gloom, commercial property crash, yet every single project in Boston is moving forward.

Lolol the amount of times I've written this project off is astounding. Everytime with good reason too!

Its possible the slowdown was caused by delivery dates for the steel..

But what slowdown was there, over the past month or so, since signs of activity started appearing again? My guess is that there's been the same amount of activity/number of workers for many weeks--but it was much harder to detect earlier given that it was probably involving garage/basement work. Now, with work erupting above-ground again, we're duped into thinking it's an abrupt resumption (is my speculation).

Also, knowing that their last two projects were essentially 100% poured concrete, I doubt we'll see anymore steel associated with this project (though admittedly I'm too lazy to check any of the big BPDA project submissions to confirm...)

But what slowdown was there, over the past month or so, since signs of activity started appearing again? My guess is that there's been the same amount of activity/number of workers for many weeks--but it was much harder to detect earlier given that it was probably involving garage/basement work. Now, with work erupting above-ground again, we're duped into thinking it's an abrupt resumption (is my speculation).

Also, knowing that their last two projects were essentially 100% poured concrete, I doubt we'll see anymore steel associated with this project (though admittedly I'm too lazy to check any of the big BPDA project submissions to confirm...)

Millennium's principals themselves told the BPDA board and the media that the project site was shut down during the Notice of Project Change approval process earlier in the summer. I observed the site closely myself up until a few weeks ago. This site was unequivocally dead. On top of that, Millennium still hasn't updated any of their marketing, Web sites or social media presence on this project. Hopefully, this latest round of activity means things are back on with this project, but until we see the financing post to the Suffolk deeds Web site or some sort of media report confirming they've secured financing, I'm not really sure what to make of the latest round of activity.

Last edited:
I’m lost....where’s the globe article ? It seems like all the trends are doom and gloom, commercial property crash, yet every single project in Boston is moving forward.

Tell me about it. I thought I'd get ahead of the stampede so I purchased a place in the middle of Kansas. Now you're telling me the doom and gloom was all BS?

Just as a reminder: On Sept. 23, S&F Concrete's FB post referenced the concrete work that they had returned to doing. I posted the question on their page: "Has Winthrop Tower officially (or even unofficially) started construction back up?" Steve Monteiro, who works for them, replied "Yes."

Millennium's principals themselves told the BPDA board and the media that the project site was shut down during the Notice of Project Change approval process earlier in the summer. I observed the site closely myself up until a few weeks ago. This site was unequivocally dead. On top of that, Millennium still hasn't updated any of their marketing, Web sites or social media presence on this project. Hopefully, this latest round of activity means things are back on with this project, but until we see the financing post to the Suffolk deeds Web site or some sort of media report confirming they've secured financing, I'm not really sure what to make of the latest round of activity.

I think you blew past my first sentence--"over the past month or so, since signs of activity started appearing again." Of course I'm not disputing that the project was officially shuttered from mid-March to mid-September, lol. I was merely trying to counter any claims that it had resumed in mid-September and then stopped again, which would be really strange!

Anyway: let's see when they start pouring floors again. Once that happens, we can presume a floor-a-week clip as with MTower, I would think?

Tell me about it. I thought I'd get ahead of the stampede so I purchased a place in the middle of Kansas. Now you're telling me the doom and gloom was all BS?

Since this project and State St HQ is back on track...whats the deal with SST? Or was that always a few phases behind these 2 projects???

Since this project and State St HQ is back on track...whats the deal with SST? Or was that always a few phases behind these 2 projects???

SST is also continuing construction. It'll be a while regardless of COVID before significant vertical construction takes place, due to the complexity of the site.

SST is also continuing construction. It'll be a while regardless of COVID before significant vertical construction takes place, due to the complexity of the site.

SSHQ us starting to go vertical now.

But I'd say Winthrop Center starts going vertical sometime in early 2021. (February?).

Then I'd say SST goes vertical sometime in late 2022.

Back