Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Agree this is the best angle, I like the colors rn
20230626_175538.jpg
20230626_175529.jpg

Certainly took the easier/cheaper route on the windows than 1 Dalton, which to me are the beautiful part with their curvature.

The mech vents along that face are poorly integrated (unlike Dalton). The wide off-centered one in the middle kills me.
I suppose the late stage hacking off of the secondary tower it is probably why - we really weren't meant to see it and already in cost cutting mode, it is what it is. Forgetting that, yeah, the OCD starts ticking a bit.

I suppose the late stage hacking off of the secondary tower it is probably why - we really weren't meant to see it and already in cost cutting mode, it is what it is. Forgetting that, yeah, the OCD starts ticking a bit.

That definitely makes the most sense.

Walking along Beacon Street by the State House yesterday I noticed for the first time that this building and the Millenium Tower are the same glass. So from that point of view it looks like one massive building. Didn't have time to snap a picture but it was striking

Just came back from a Boston visit. I have to say that this tower looks good only from a distance. The street level is flat, dull, and not the monumental entrance promised even by the latest graphic iterations. Basically it's a hole in the glass framed by a weird column decorated by shards of metal. The front doors could be from TJ Maxx. Maybe the ground floor corridor will offer something more lively for pedestrians and visitors, unlike 75 State St., which promises so much and delivers little in its atrium.

Walking along Beacon Street by the State House yesterday I noticed for the first time that this building and the Millenium Tower are the same glass. So from that point of view it looks like one massive building. Didn't have time to snap a picture but it was striking

I’ve noticed this too and took this pic from Charles/MGH during Boston Pride.
IMG_3122.jpeg

Remember the time when Millenium was the darling developers in the city and they could do no wrong? So much for that

Just came back from a Boston visit. I have to say that this tower looks good only from a distance. The street level is flat, dull, and not the monumental entrance promised even by the latest graphic iterations. Basically it's a hole in the glass framed by a weird column decorated by shards of metal. The front doors could be from TJ Maxx. Maybe the ground floor corridor will offer something more lively for pedestrians and visitors, unlike 75 State St., which promises so much and delivers little in its atrium.

For what it's worth, neither the column nor the entry are complete. Scroll back and you'll see the column was clad in a nice marble facade that collapsed/was removed (big debate!). The plaza/park out front isn't complete either. I don't think it will be a world beater, but I'd reserve final judgment until the office is in full swing and the plaza is finished.

For what it's worth, neither the column nor the entry are complete. Scroll back and you'll see the column was clad in a nice marble facade that collapsed/was removed (big debate!). The plaza/park out front isn't complete either. I don't think it will be a world beater, but I'd reserve final judgment until the office is in full swing and the plaza is finished.

Indeed. Also, FWIW, now that the Federal St. sidewalk in front of the tower has finally reopened, you can peer into the lobby from the Federal St. entrance and gaze all the way through it, glimpsing the Devonshire St. doorways at the far side of the lobby. On sunny afternoons, it's a lovely effect to see the sun streaming in all the way across the lobby via the Devonshire St. doorways, bathing the whole lobby interior in light. In comparison to 75-101 Fed. lobby passageway immediately adjacent, the overall sensation is much more pleasing, given the light and the soaring cathedral-like interior space. (This is not to dismiss 75-101 Fed. lobby, which is glorious in other ways, primarily for its impeccable Art Deco motifs.)

It's just his thing to thrash on Boston.
More like I'm not a Homer. Several folks here like to put down other cities' architecture because of their Boston = small city insecurities and I'm putting some objectivity here.

The One Dalton is an average building. It wouldn't stick out if it was shortened. Several skyscrapers in the world suffer from this. If the Salesforce tower in SF is shorter, it wouldn't stick out. Several buildings in LA suffer the same thing (I'd go out with a limb to say none of LA's downtown building would stand out based on their design except the US Bank Tower, Wilshire Grand Center, and maybe the Ritz Carlton).

The mech vents along that face are poorly integrated (unlike Dalton). The wide off-centered one in the middle kills me.

Could it be that those mid-height/off-center ones are not mech vents, but black-painted plywood covering missing windows? The resolution on the photo isn't quite good enough to tell (don't get me wrong it's a great photo from that distance), but it doesn't seem there are vent louvers within it and it seems odd there's a random complete piece of glass in the middle of it.

Most of these new towers have at least a few damaged/to-be-replaced windows, and I have seen some paint the plywood black as they await the new glass.

Remember the time when Millenium was the darling developers in the city and they could do no wrong? So much for that

And all they did to deserve it was build the two tallest buildings in Downtown, on sites that had been absolute blights on the neighborhood, each with a substantial component of ground-level public access (the Burnham Building, Roche Bros, and the Winthrop "Connector").

I'd estimate the odds any of the other developers who proposed on this site (which included basket case Trans National and Accordia, which has only ever built a couple of prefab hotels on D street but somehow is treated like a savior) would actually have anything vertical in 2023 to be under 20%.

When did we turn our backs on this building and start throwing so much shade?

Yeah. This is a more attractive building than MT and looks amazing from certain angles (Dewey Square in particular).

Off topic, but I thought Millennium Tower architects should be embarrassed when their Energy Star score in the BERDO was a 13/100. It's the equivalent of buying a Jaguar - you buy it for the looks not the quality.

Back