Winthrop Square Garage Demolition | Downtown

It is happening yes, but please remember that we do not put stories or heights in thread titles. We came to a consensus years ago that we are not skyscraper city when we came up with the thread naming protocol.

I thought there were still more approval hurdles to go through? Has any kind of construction timeline been made public? Is Millennium doing the demo work or is that being done by the city/BPDA?

http://www.bldup.com/projects/115-winthrop-square

"Approximately 48-to-50-story, 702-foot-tall tower featuring 36 upper floors of luxury condominium residences, 7 to 9 floors of office space and a 65-foot-tall ground-floor public "Great Hall" lined with three levels of retail. A 14,620 square foot startup accelerator would be built on the tower's second floor. Three levels of parking would be built underground with approximately 550 spaces....."

Show me a real plan with financing and shovels in the ground and we'll rename the thread. It's bad enough we had to close the old one but I guess everything is still there if someone ever wants to write a history of it.

It is happening yes, but please remember that we do not put stories or heights in thread titles. We came to a consensus years ago that we are not skyscraper city when we came up with the thread naming protocol.

So I wasn't here when you made that rule and I respect the decision but I guess I just don't understand why it was made that way. Why would you specifically want to not put more information into the thread title? "Because we are not skyscrapercity" is a strange reason for not putting more information in the title that could help identify development threads. I have a hard time keeping track of all of the developments around Boston (especially in the seaport), having height in the title could help.

Last edited:
Agreeed. That’s something ssc is doing right, along with current renders on the first page of threads.

Heights aren't in thread titles so that every thread doesn't devolve into a continuous fight about whether or not the thread title has the correct height.

Show me a real plan with financing and shovels in the ground and we'll rename the thread. It's bad enough we had to close the old one but I guess everything is still there if someone ever wants to write a history of it.

The demolition of the garage is part of the construction process. I don't see why the original thread was closed, it wasn't a $hitshow like the Harbor Garage tower thread.

This has literally just taken the exact spot of the other thread. This is the 115 fed tower thread now and the same conversations happen here that would in the other thread. When I read the title I see (winthrop garage thread wink wink).

there has been three threads for this project. here is the first one

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=968

the second one should not have been locked imo and this thread should be merged with it and reopened. Either that or this should be the start over thread since the last one began as the original 1000' project just like the first one.

The demolition of the garage is part of the construction process. I don't see why the original thread was closed, it wasn't a $hitshow like the Harbor Garage tower thread.

Wrong. The demolition is a necessary precursor--IN CASE everything comes together with financing, micro- and macroeconomic forecasting, if/when the BPDA approves the development proposal, and whatever other contingencies and unknowns (i.e., sheer random dumb luck) may take place in the future.

It was all explained pretty neatly in this Globe article some time ago:

"And the firm agreed to pay $10 million upfront, which the city will keep even if the project stalls. It can use $2.5 million of that money to demolish the garage, if demolition starts by June 15.

“Even if the developer fails to complete the purchase the city will either end up with $10 million, or $7.5 million and the garage demolished,” said assessor Ron Rakow."

Needless to say, the developer has yet to consummate the purchase:

https://www.cityofboston.gov/assessing/search/?pid=0304225000

So what's being demolished is still City-controlled property. You can't develop what you don't yet own.

Thus, I'd say vanshnookenraggen is absolutely right, and the regular thread should stay unmolested until more news--of whatever persuasion--comes out about the actual development proposal.

What photobucket did should be illegal. Offer a free service where millions of people trust that they can store photos with no warning of what’s to come then a few years later hold them hostage unless you pay. One of the biggest scumbag moves I’ve ever seen and I can’t wait until they go under. Gain people’s trust then hold their things hostage until you pay a ransom. They can keep em they won’t get a dime from me.

I can't believe it's been nearly 10 years since I've first seen this proposal. Still feels recent to me. Granted, I'm kind of glad this wasn't built. Aside from the height, the original proposal was incredibly bland and is essentially a 1100 ft glass version of One Federal Street with an observation deck.

I can't believe it's been nearly 10 years since I've first seen this proposal. Still feels recent to me. Granted, I'm kind of glad this wasn't built. Aside from the height, the original proposal was incredibly bland and is essentially a 1100 ft glass version of One Federal Street with an observation deck.

And a spire!!!!!

Its funny looking at the comments towards the end of the thread - NIMBYs, 15 minutes of shadows, oh my, where have we heard/seen this before.

FWIW, I liked TransNational Place. We would have had a quality Renzo Piano tower (*with observation deck*), but we blew it.

Also, discussion like this is why the main thread isn't open.

It is happening yes......

Can anyone attempt a timeline on the land sale, design tweaks, 15 min self-financing + the lucky bankers chosen, 60 day Article 80 review, and Bldg Dept final approval?

They'll close the streets and bring extra cruisers to make way for the Tonka trucks and drilling rigs later on the fateful day--

The day the nimby's died.

Show me a real plan with financing and shovels in the ground and we'll rename the thread....

shovels too? Boss aren't ya being kinda hard? ;)

Last edited:
Can anyone attempt a timeline on the land sale, design tweaks, 15 min self-financing + the lucky bankers chosen, 60 day Article 80 review, and Bldg Dept final approval?

I like where your head's at, that would be intriguing to contemplate... just don't oversimplify in your enthusiasm. Along with all the above, you still need:

1.) The actual ZBA hearing where the variance is formally granted. Yes they got their exemption with the shadow law amendment thingy... but they still have to go before ZBA to get the parcel use changed from garage to mixed-use office tower or whatever the proper classification is. From there it would go to ISD, I believe ("Bldg Dept" as you style it)

2.) All the crap with the state: MEPA, any other regulatory entities.

3.) BPDA, BCDC, but also the whole gauntlet of city regulatory sign-offs: BTD construction management plan, BWSC, BFD, any other entities like that that need to sign-off.

Where are the dozens of construction trucks going to hang-out, if they're not parked inside the fencing on the Federal St. side or Winthrop Sq. side? I kind of doubt Post Office Sq. Park will let them spin wheelies on their immaculately manicured lawn...

... Remember, in contrast, Millennium Tower was "easy" because a huge quantity of their construction apparatus could be left chillin' out on the plaza itself, w/o requiring street closures/lane reductions. No such luck here.

So as far as we know, the BPDA still owns the land and they are the ones running and paying for the demo of the garage?

Back