Worcester Infill and Developments

In other news, the Junction Shops are almost done:

Renovation of Junction Shops complex nears completion

By Sandy Meindersma
Correspondent

Posted Oct. 25, 2015 at 6:00 AM
Updated Oct 25, 2015 at 11:22 AM

WORCESTER - Three other developers turned down redeveloping the Junction Shop complex, before Brady Sullivan Properties and Starr Development Partners stepped in and purchased the historic mill property in 2012.

Three years later, the partners are putting on the finishing touches to a new apartment complex, the Junction Shop Lofts, that features many of the mill’s original qualities, as well as state-of-the-art amenities.

The 233,000 square foot mill complex, which was built in stages from 1850 to 1908, was home to the J.S. Wheeler & Co. machinist company, the Taylor & Farley Organ factory, the Knowles Loom Works and the Cereal Machine Company.

“In recent years, before we bought it, it was vacant, decrepit and deteriorating," said Chris Starr, president of Starr Development Partners. “It was a hazard to public safety.”

Mr. Starr said that he has partnered with Brady Sullivan on similar projects before, including the Lancaster Mill complex in Clinton, as we well as six projects in Rhode Island.

The partners currently have four other projects in various stages of construction, including Phase II of the Lancaster Mills in Clinton, as well as projects in Lawrence, Providence and Warren, R.I.

The partners specialize in purchasing old mill buildings and converting them to housing, although they have also been designated by the city to redevelop the former Worcester County Courthouse on Main Street, but are waiting for the city to complete some remediation work.

As with previous projects, Brady Sullivan and Starr Development will continue to own the building after it is completed.

“We are historically long-*term owners,” Mr. Starr said.

Mr. Starr said that he and his partners purchased the mill complex for $1.1 million and then have invested more than $20 million in renovating the nine-building complex.

“These are challenging projects, in terms of the actual construction, assembling the capital and because it is in a transitioning neighborhood,” he said.

Located less than two blocks from the Main South neighborhood, at 64 Beacon St., and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Junction Shops Lofts take up the entire block between Herman and Jackson streets.

Approximately 5,000 square feet of hard heart pine was removed from the building, reclaimed by Longleaf Lumber, Inc. of Cambridge and was installed as the flooring of a country club in Hamilton, Mass.

“We try to create super high quality housing, at relatively affordable prices,” Mr. Starr said.

Mr. Starr said that many of the units feature exposed brick, and large windows, which are the size of the original window openings. Historic doors, different mill gears and a safe that were discovered during the renovation process are on display in various places throughout the building.

As part of the renovation project, all 1,083 windows in the building were replaced, and each one was done according to specifications that satisfied the various government entities that had some oversight on the project, including the National Parks Service, Massachusetts Historical Commission, Worcester Historical Commission and Preservation Worcester.

The muntins (the bar or rigid supporting strip between adjacent panes of glass), meeting rails and exterior brick faces of the windows all had to meet specific size criteria, before any of the windows could be installed.

Rents start at $1,095 for a one-bedroom apartment and increase to as much as $2,000 for the larger three- and four-bedroom units. Of the 173 units, 102 have two bedrooms, and there are nearly 30 different floor plans, due to the unique size and shape of the building. Several of the three- and four-bedroom units are two-*tier loft spaces that feature spiral staircases and gas fireplaces.

Amenities include a courtyard with fireplace, a gas grill and sitting area, community room, 16-seat movie theatre, a game room and a putting green.

“They are market rate, but they are relatively affordable,” Mr. Starr said.
“When we do a project like this, we try to build a sense of community both within the neighborhood, but also within the complex itself.”

FULL ARTICLE

The Shrewsbury Route 9 bridge is GREAT. Three lanes in each direction... A huge upgrade. The traffic is already better than before and if the road work on the hill ever gets finished it will be somewhat pleasant to get through there.

Lots of good news this week. Thanks for keeping us posted Wormtown.

Well, this is a ego booster.

Worcester ranked third in Northeast rental market; 24th nationally

Sam Bonacci

Appreciating rental prices drove Worcester to the third best market in the Northeast in which to own rental property, according to the quarterly Rental Ranking Report by All Property Management.

All Property ranked Worcester as the third best market for return on investment in the Northeast, beating out traditional powerhouses like Boston and Philadelphia, and 24th in the country. In the previous quarter it was ranked 4th in the northeast and 48th in the nation.

Other reports have indicated that sales of triple deckers have been extremely strong in the city.

Worcester's year-over-year rental price appreciation rate was 10.6 percent. This was more than twice the national average, placing Worcester at the ninth-highest rental price appreciation in the U.S. during that period, according to the report.

FULL ARTICLE

So this slipped by me......

Normally I wouldn't post this, but a new restaurant opening on Water St. in a vacant building is something I find worthy.

Before:

YjEGrtf.jpg

Currently:

12107825_424380724423900_8149969032934453686_n.jpg

And from Harding St:

11707401_432259616969344_7504337629548116433_n.jpg

12249900_432259633636009_8997555004784388501_n.jpg

More info: http://lock50.com/

--------------------------

Also, Clark's new building is going up at breakneck speed - framing is up and they're building out the walls.

Osgood Bradley building (Edge at Union Station) is now leasing for summer 2016. Floor plans are up on their website for 1, 2, & 4 bedroom units (each with own full bath).

More CitySquare construction:

Construction begins on 237 Worcester apartments

AR-151119958.jpg&MaxW=400&MaxH=400

Sam Bonacci

Construction has kicked off on the first part of a key residential component to the City Square revival of downtown Worcester.

The apartment complex, to be called 145 Front @ City Square, is a 237-unit apartment complex that is the first phase of a residential development that will also include 128 residential units and a parking garage, according to developer Roseland that is a subsidiary of Mack-Cali Realty Corporation. The buildout, using a $41.5 million construction loan, is located adjacent to recently purchased office towers that are set for a renovation.

FULL ARTICLE

More news about another part of CitySquare - the Front St. towers & reno previously announced:

Front Street developer seeks to improve Worcester's value

Sam Bonacci

When Chip Norton set out to purchase two office towers in downtown Worcester, he knew modernizing the buildings and the adjoining property that includes a portion of a former mall would be key to the equation.

This $36-million renovation, more than the $32.5 million his company Franklin Realty Advisors and partner Great Point Investors paid for the property, will grow rents for not only these office towers but could kick off a ripple through the city's office market leading to higher rents and greater value, Norton said.

"We expect to be the premier of other properties downtown and expect the rents will reflect that," Norton said. "We expect some appreciation like anything else, but where it's going to end up in the next three or five years is anybody's guess."

With rents topping out in the mid to high $20's per square foot, Worcester sits at a lower end of the Massachusetts market populated with Boston properties that reach the high-$60's-per-square-foot range and Framingham reaching to roughly $30 per square foot.

With the acquisition by Norton's company of the towers at 100 and 120 Front St. and other developments such as a high-end hotel near downtown, Worcester could be at the beginning of a rise in the market, said Robert McGuire, senior vice president for real estate firm CBRE New England.

These projects will boost not only rents but possibly push value up enough to attract investors, McGuire said.

The 446 Main St. office tower will likely sell to investors in the next five years on the back of downtown improvements, he said.

"That live, work, play scene is important everywhere … everyone is going to feed off each other," McGuire said. "You need over two hands to start counting the (developments) that have happened in the last five years."
Norton is the perfect person to kick off the city's office space resurgence, McGuire said, having developed properties in the area for the last 20 years, including a complete revamp of the Worcester Business Center.

"He's a great buyer for those buildings. He gets it. He has been a great investor in Worcester," McGuire said. "He has a strong reputation, and that is important. He has made big investments in Worcester."

Norton's latest investment at Front Street will mean millions in improvements to common space and the creation of ground-floor retail that will elevate the properties.

Renovating properties is a balancing act, said Norton, and one that is especially challenging in Worcester. While construction costs are similar to Boston, Worcester rents can make it more difficult to recoup the costs.

But Norton is out to change that in his building.

"When we add the retail and the correct users that is only going to enhance the marketability of the office space," Norton said. "One of the major components of our decision besides the quality of the space and the size of it was the parking and the potential for further retail development at the site."

Improvements will include a ground-floor restaurant to provide the current 1,250 employees in the towers with a quick meal.

The former Bijou Cinema could also see a rebirth, said Norton, who is in talks with those who would like to rekindle that location.

"We would look to bring in a partner or a user that would do that," he said. "We are thinking there is some opportunity there."

Much of the redevelopment work in the property is aimed at building upon other efforts to make downtown an 18-hour destination, said Norton
Another key to boosting the properties will be common area improvements, Norton said.

Especially in the current work environment that emphasizes collaboration, it is important to have comfortable common spaces for employees. This is also especially important to tenants, as these common areas and the main lobby serve as the face for the company and are a key recruitment tool.

Other plans include energy efficiency improvements to the property.

While Norton will not do a wholesale reboot of the property as he had with Worcester Business Center where he put on an entirely new façade to the former industrial site, the towers will include eco-friendly improvements where possible, such as the HVAC system.

The age of the building makes improvements such as replacing all the single-pane glass cost prohibitive.

FULL ARTICLE

Construction begins on 237 Worcester apartments

Sigh... looks more fitting for a college campus than a city downtown. Why isn't there retail in base?

Sigh... looks more fitting for a college campus than a city downtown. Why isn't there retail in base?

Excellent question......but I have no answer for that. Guess common sense missed the planning board meeting.

On the bright side, this project eats up some of space left by the mall. The only big space that's left is what is earmarked for the rest of this project and the space bounded by Mercantile and Front Streets behind the cancer center. (Parcel F). There are some filler areas that are still blank though.

T&G Graphic:
KHyYx1U.jpg

I do not have any information about what is happening with building I.

Excellent question......but I have no answer for that. Guess common sense missed the planning board meeting.

I don't live in Worcester anymore so I don't really have any skin in the game, but it is my hometown and it's sad to see Worcester continues to make mistake after mistake with its development opportunities. I just don't understand why the city government is incapable of pulling it's head out of its ass.

It's very frustrating.

I don't live in Worcester anymore so I don't really have any skin in the game, but it is my hometown and it's sad to see Worcester continues to make mistake after mistake with its development opportunities. I just don't understand why the city government is incapable of pulling it's head out of its ass.

It's very frustrating.

I think I might know the answer to this......but I can't really get into since a friend is involved and this is off-topic, but just take a look at this.

Former Worcester Elections employee Brittany Legasey claims she was fired due to association with mayoral candidate Michael Gaffney

Just to give you an idea into the inner workings of city hall.

On the bright side, this project eats up some of space left by the mall. The only big space that's left is what is earmarked for the rest of this project and the space bounded by Mercantile and Front Streets behind the cancer center. (Parcel F). There are some filler areas that are still blank though.

That seems to be the purpose of most downtown Worcester projects--just eat some dead space. More residential can only help but this is prime land that deserves something ambitious. Across the street from Union Station (and in turn an hour from Boston), and a block away from Green Street and the lively part of Shrewsbury Street. Hopefully we don't get dorms surrounded by a bunch of landscaping. There should be a street wall on Front Street at a minimum and the Worcesterite in me doubts we will get that.

FWIW, the last remaining portion of the mall is being filled by UMASS's IT department and the first floor will be retail. There remain several empty and/or underutilized retail store fronts on Front Steet facing the Common. If the area ever bounces back there will be no shortage of places for restaurants/shops.

That seems to be the purpose of most downtown Worcester projects--just eat some dead space. More residential can only help but this is prime land that deserves something ambitious. Across the street from Union Station (and in turn an hour from Boston), and a block away from Green Street and the lively part of Shrewsbury Street. Hopefully we don't get dorms surrounded by a bunch of landscaping. There should be a street wall on Front Street at a minimum and the Worcesterite in me doubts we will get that.

Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree. We do need something ambitious, but it appears most projects out here like to play it safe - and not go bold. I guess the glass tower downtown must've made everyone gun shy.

FWIW, the last remaining portion of the mall is being filled by UMASS's IT department and the first floor will be retail. There remain several empty and/or underutilized retail store fronts on Front Steet facing the Common. If the area ever bounces back there will be no shortage of places for restaurants/shops.

IMO, the difficulty is in cleaning up the place - you can't place something high end 200 feet away from the Midtown Mall. That just doesn't make any sense.

The effort to daylight the Blackstone has reached the CityLab desk:

A Waterfront Revival, No Water Required
The Canal District of Worcester, Massachusetts, is flourishing. Now all it needs is a canal.

AMY CRAWFORD @amymcrawf 9:00 AM

lead_large.jpg

In the 20 years after the Blackstone Canal opened in Worcester, Massachusetts, in 1828, the town quadrupled in size. The goods produced in Worcester’s factories—textiles and machinery, wire and cast iron—could now be shipped to port in Rhode Island within two days. Worcester grew into a capital of the Industrial Revolution and a beacon for immigrants looking for opportunity.

The canal itself was not in use for long. It closed in 1848, made obsolete by railroads, and by the 20th century the portion that passed through Worcester had been paved over, relegated to use as a sewer.

But the idea of an urban waterway, in this post-industrial age, has seemingly universal appeal. Many current Worcester residents have lined up behind a proposal to resurrect theirs. The rallying cry “Free the Blackstone” has helped to turn a once blighted area into one of the hottest spots in this otherwise unassuming city of 180,000—despite the canal still being very much buried.

It’s a testament to the power of water, long the lifeblood of cities everywhere, even when the water in question hasn’t seen daylight in more than 100 years.

In the early 2000s, Allen Fletcher, the middle-aged scion of a wealthy Worcester family, bought a vacant public school two blocks from the paved-over canal, converted it to apartments, and moved in. The neighborhood, then known variously as Water Street and Green Island, was mostly empty except for a few bars and some light industry. Occasionally, Fletcher would come home to find an old car stripped for parts and abandoned in front of his building.

But he saw potential. The neighborhood, which as recently as the 1970s had been the city’s Jewish quarter, abutted downtown, offered easy access to transportation, and boasted a few handsome, if derelict, 19th-century mills.

The Blackstone Canal remained only as a vague civic memory, although the idea of uncovering it popped up from time to time when a newspaper columnist decided to mine local history for copy. Fletcher, a history buff himself, happened to own the local alt-weekly paper, and he emerged as the waterway’s new champion.

75ecc85fe.jpg

Soon after he moved in, Fletcher and some neighbors founded a group called the Canal District Alliance. Their weekly meetings at a local bar attracted bigger and bigger crowds, drumming up enthusiasm that culminated in a 2003 city-sponsored feasibility study, which laid out a plan to recreate a little over a half-mile of the canal, crisscross it with bridges, and line its banks with “lively public places.”

Historical markers and a reproduction canal lock would tell of Worcester’s role in early U.S. history. There would be boat rides, new parks, and waterfront cafés.

That was as far as things went. Although the neighborhood group helped to secure $7.6 million in federal stimulus funding for streetscape improvements in 2010, no one wanted to kick in the $30 million that backers estimated it would take to start the project.

But the idea alone was enough to inspire local development. “What happened was, a lot of people came and said, ‘Wow, cool,’ and a lot of them started opening businesses here,” Fletcher says.

Today the old Crompton Loom Works—which may one day overlook a restored canal—houses small businesses like Crompton Collective, a vintage home goods and crafts emporium that has won social media devotees and shelter blog accolades. Upstairs, Birch Tree Bread, which opened last year, sells European-style loaves, sandwiches, and espresso to an all-day crowd.

FULL ARTICLE

Looking at that rendering mid article - it appears as if they want to sacrifice Harding St. in its entirety to the canal - which makes some sense to me, but I'm not sure if sacrificing the connectivity of the street grid for a canal over there is worth it.

REMINDER:

Meeting to discuss Main St. streetscape improvements is on Wednesday night! See press release below from the City of Worcester:

Worcester, MA (December 4, 2015) - A Design Public Hearing will be held by MassDOT to discuss the proposed Streetscape project in the Main Street Business District in the City of Worcester, MA. The hearing will be at 7:00 PM on Wednesday, December 9th, in the Saxe Room of the Worcester Public Library, 2 Salem Street.

The purpose of this hearing is to provide the public with the opportunity to become fully acquainted with the proposed streetscape project in the Main Street Business District in the City of Worcester. All views and comments made at the hearing will be reviewed and considered to the maximum extent possible.

The project consists of the refurbishment/upgrade of eleven (11) existing traffic signals along Main Street and related roadway improvements for overall bicycle, pedestrian and vehicle safety. Work also includes pavement milling, resurfacing and wheelchair ramp improvements. The project will provide new or reconstructed sidewalks and designated bicycle lanes on both sides of the roadway.

A secure right-of-way is necessary for this project. Acquisitions in fee and permanent or temporary easements may be required. The City of Worcester is responsible for acquiring all needed rights in private or public lands. MassDOT's policy concerning land acquisitions will be discussed at this hearing.

Written views received by MassDOT subsequent to the date of this notice and up to five (5) days prior to the date of the hearing shall be displayed for public inspection and copying at the time and date listed above. Plans will be on display one-half hour before the hearing begins, with an engineer in attendance to answer questions regarding this project. A project handout will be made available on the MassDOT website listed below.

Written statements and other exhibits in place of, or in addition to, oral statements made at the Public Hearing regarding the proposed undertaking are to be submitted to Patricia A. Leavenworth, P.E., Chief Engineer, MassDOT, 10 Park Plaza, Boston, MA 02116, Attention: Roadway Project Management, Project File No. 606434. Such submissions will also be accepted at the hearing. Mailed statements and exhibits intended for inclusion in the public hearing transcript must be postmarked within ten (10) business days of this Public Hearing. Project inquiries may be emailed to dot.feedback.highway@state.ma.us.

This location is accessible to people with disabilities. MassDOT provides reasonable accommodations and/or language assistance free of charge upon request (including but not limited to interpreters in American Sign Language and languages other than English, open or closed captioning for videos, assistive listening devices and alternate material formats, such as audio tapes, Braille and large print), as available. For accommodation or language assistance, please contact MassDOT's Chief Diversity and Civil Rights Officer by phone (857-368-8580), fax (857-368-0602), TTD/TTY (857-368-0603) or by email MASSDOT.CivilRights@dot.state.ma.us. Requests should be made as soon as possible prior to the meeting, and for more difficult to arrange services including sign-language, CART or language translation or interpretation, requests should be made at least ten business days before the meeting.

In case of inclement weather, hearing cancellation announcements will be posted on the MassHighway website http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Highway/.

SOURCE

Emphasis mine. I can't make it, but someone please don't let the idiots who want to keep their 4 travel lanes be the vocal majority.

Clock tower dedication caps preservation efforts

Clock-Tower-682x1024.jpg

Written by Tom Quinn · 12/10/2015 · 12:21 pm
Above: The restored clock tower/Tom Quinn photo

The dedication of the clock tower at the Worcester Recovery Center and Hospital was a happy event. Although Preservation Worcester and its allies, which have been working since 2006 to preserve the iconic feature of the Worcester State Lunatic Asylum, were not able to save the whole building, the clock tower now stands as a monument to Worcester's commitment to mental health treatment.

“In the end we reached a compromise, which we often do in preservation,” Preservation Worcester executive director Deb Packard said.

The facility the clock tower was a part of was the first state-owned mental health facility in the United States, and dates back to 1877. It became Worcester State Hospital as times and terminology changed. When the facility was town down to make way for the new center, the building contractors saved and cataloged every piece of the clock tower to reassemble it to the exact specifications of the historic structure.

“We can never underestimate what difference the passion and commitment of a small group – mostly volunteers – can make,” Department of Mental Health Commissioner Joan Mikula said.

FULL ARTICLE

Looks like I missed quite a bit of fun Wednesday night.

Will changes to Worcester's Main Street help or hurt business? Reactions are mixed

-1bc8f290c9d4743c.JPG

By Michael D. Kane | mkane@masslive.com

WORCESTER – Overall reaction to Worcester's plan for overhauling Main Street was mixed, with many who bike praising the proposed changes and downtown businesses saying it will be the final nail in a proverbial coffin. And some proponents said the plan doesn't go far enough.

The project will involve the area from the Worcester Trial Court to the federal courthouse, or from Myrtle Street to School Street. In all, 11 intersections will be rehabilitated. That will include new traffic signals that are interconnected and responsive to traffic, according to engineer William McGrath, of the Beta Group.

The $7 million project will be paid for with state and federal money, with construction overseen by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT).

Under the proposal as it stands, four travel lanes will be reduced to single travel lanes with dedicated turn lanes. Bike paths will be installed on both sides of the street, though they will end before Myrtle Street to help bikers readjust to normal traffic patterns.

McGrath said the primary goal of the plan is to increase safety, noting from 2010 to 2012, there were more than 250 accidents along the stretch.

Overall, the trip from one end to the other by car will increase by one minute, averaging 11.5 minutes from the current 10.5 minutes.

The project will also include a major streetscape change. Elements of the new streetscape will be decorative lighting and benches, similar to what has been done on Franklin Street, near City Hall, and two-tiered sidewalks in some places to accommodate Americans with Disabilities Act requirements.

Not all are happy. The plan was unveiled to businesses in July. And despite several complaints about the loss of 22 on-street parking spots and a lack of new parking, the plan presented was exactly the same, according to Zack Photakis, owner of the three-generation Owl Shop of Worcester on Main St.

"This is going to cripple traffic on Main Street," Photakis said. "I guaranty it 100 percent. I see it everyday."

Photakis noted that the photos used in the Beta Group presentation included a string of empty businesses, and the plan does nothing to draw more foot traffic to Worcester's downtown business district. Bikers are not stopping, he said, in contrast with pedestrians, which have already been taken off the street by a change in bus routes.

His suggestion regarding a two-lane bike path on one side of the street in favor of on-street parking, however, was dismissed as requiring more space than was available, due to MassDOT requirements regarding space.

Several people who identified themselves as bikers, however, said they would frequent the downtown area if it were made more bike friendly. They, in turn, called for even more improvements to the plan, which at one point calls for the bike lane to shift into the center of the road to accommodate an additional turn lane.

Mauro DePasquale, of WCAA TV, said the design does not take into consideration the on-street deliveries the downtown businesses receive. Without the second travel lane, those trucks will now block traffic.

"Regardless of what the lights say, there will be backups," DePasquale said.

DePasquale, like Photakis, criticized a plan that reduces places for people to park.

"What about the people who want to drive downtown?" he asked. "Where do they go?"

Resident Wendy Bergman said she favored the bike lanes, saying she looks for ways to get downtown on her bike. Bergman asked that the engineers add more signs to the area letting people from outside Worcester know where the available parking garages area.

Resident Jo Hart criticized the process, saying the plans were drawn up in secret meetings. She, like others called for more pedestrian accommodations, noting she walks in the bike paths in the Canal District because it is safer than sidewalks.

"Bikers don't drive in the bike path, they drive on the sidewalks and they try to kill you," she said.

Bikers refuted that, saying they now ride on the sidewalk due to a lack of bike paths.

Hart noted the change in bus routes has contributed to a lack of pedestrian traffic downtown, which is hurting businesses. Hart was also critical of a project that does not reach Lincoln Square, considering the new housing expected in the area.

FULL ARTICLE

Financing for the first phase of residential units has come through for CitySquare

Worcester City Square scores $42M loan

AR-151219983.jpg

Sam Bonacci

The developer of the 237-unit apartment complex in Worcester' City Square has secured a $41.5-million construction loan from Citizens Bank.

The apartment complex, to be called 145 Front @ City Square, is the first phase of a residential development that will also include 128 residential units and a parking garage, according to developer Roseland that is a subsidiary of Mack-Cali Realty Corporation. Construction on the project began in November.

The first phase will include approximately 12,000 square feet of indoor amenity space as well as a courtyard with a swimming pool, fire pit, BBQ grills and dog run. At full build-out, according to a release from Citizens, the entire Roseland project is expected to include two four- and five-story residential buildings with a total of 365 units, 402 parking spaces and approximately 11,200 square feet of street-level retail.

FULL ARTICLE

More progress on the Stearns Tavern project. If I haven't posted it here before I apologize - it's more of a historical preservation project than an economic development one.

Politics and the City: Many hands pull for Stearns Tavern move

By Nick Kotsopoulos

With little fanfare, work began Friday morning on the relocation of the historic Stearns Tavern from the Webster Square area to its planned new home, about a half-mile away at the site of the former Coes Knife factory on Mill Street.

A backhoe and some drilling equipment dug test wells at the southern end of Coes Pond to determine the soil that exists there and whether there would be any environmental issues associated with putting in a foundation for the now-vacant, two-story building.

The work was a first step in preparation for moving Stearns Tavern there this spring.

It is a project that is being compared to an old-fashioned barn raising, when people used to help out their neighbors by volunteering to help build their barns.

In this instance, several companies have not only stepped forward to be part of the Stearns Tavern relocation project but also have offered their time and services at no cost to the city.

And we're not talking about pocket change in this instance, either. Some have estimated that the pro bono work offered by these companies could run as high as $100,000, and maybe even more.

"The amount of commitment to this project is unprecedented," said City Manager Edward M. Augustus Jr. "We are most grateful to them for supporting our vision of a successful opening of a multigenerational, universally accessible playground and for helping to save the historic Stearns Tavern, which will provide year-round programming, recreation and workforce training to those who have been underserved for so long."
In the scheme of things, this is not the most important project on the city's agenda.

In some ways, though, it's just as important as those megamillion-dollar projects where shiny new buildings are constructed.

What you have is an effort to preserve one of the oldest structures in the city - Stearns Tavern was built in 1812 and was facing a date with the wrecking ball - and bringing it back to life by incorporating it as part of a four-season, multigenerational park and universally accessible playground planned for that site.

The building, which will be operated at its new location by the Seven Hills Foundation, will be used to create more opportunities for services to people with disabilities on a full-time, year-round basis.

The story behind this story, however, is how it has become more than just a "city project."

What started off as an initiative involving the city, Preservation Worcester and the Seven Hills Foundation has morphed into something much bigger, involving community groups like the Coes Zone and several area companies.

To minimize the use of taxpayer money for the project, Mr. Augustus turned to the private sector to see if it could help out in any way. And many companies have responded in a most generous way.
CDR Maguire will be providing the foundation drawings for the new home of Stearns Tavern, providing oversight of the project with project team members and coordinating with the contractor that will be digging the foundation.

Just the work related to the foundation alone could cost $50,000 or more.
Matthew J. Amorello, a former state senator who is now vice president for business development for CDR Maguire, said he learned of the project at a meeting of the Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce.

He said he was approached by Philip J. Niddrie, who spends part of his time at City Hall as special projects coordinator in the Office of the City Manager, to see if his company could help out with the project.
Mr. Amorello said he jumped on board as soon as he heard what the plans involved.

"How could we not say yes?" he said. "When you add in all the other great firms that are also participating, it is wonderful community project in which we are all giving something back to city. It's a lot like a Colonial-era barn raising project when everyone chips in."

For Lamoureux Pagano and Associates, which will be providing architectural services to assist with the tavern's move, being part of the Stearns Tavern project fits right in with its expertise in working with historic buildings.

"It’s really a great project that has a lot of enthusiasm,” said Robert Para Jr.

“It also fit with our ideals of maintaining the historic fabric of the city, and giving back to the community that has given so much to us. The tavern’s history is as a community gathering place, and we are pleased to be able to contribute to making it a community resource again.”

Nitsch Engineering is also involved with the project. Matt Brassard, executive project manager, said the Stearns Tavern relocation project fits into one of his company’s goals, which is to improve the communities in which it does business

“After (Mr. Niddrie) asked me about getting involved with this project, our answer was an easy Yes,” Mr. Brassard said. “It was a perfect opportunity for us to get involved with a project that was perfectly aligned with our goals. So we decided to help out as best we could at no charge.

“Personally, as a Worcester resident, I have been very gratified to see so many people in city government and the general public pooling their efforts to get this job done,” he added.

Marylou Armstrong, a licensed site professional at Nover-Armstrong Associates Inc., said when she was approached about potentially donating professional environmental services for the project, she, too, did not hesitate to get on board.

“The relocation and reuse of this beautiful historic structure along with additional improvements such as playground areas will enhance recreational possibilities and create service opportunities for people with disabilities,” Ms. Armstrong said. “I think it is very important for firms to give back to the community and community partnering is an important part of our philosophy.”

Also participating in the project is Drilex Environmental of West Boylston, which is providing drilling and well-installation services.

“All of these firms are not costing the city any tax dollars,” Mr. Niddrie said. “It’s a real team effort and thousands of dollars are being saved to this juncture.”

FULL ARTICLE

Back