Worcester Infill and Developments

Why would there be outrage? Only a few blocks away Mount Carmel is actually still in use (by a dwindling congregation), has its interior and windows intact, and is going to close and likely be torn down due to the rapidly deteriorating condition of the exterior. Few are chirping about it despite ample coverage in the T&G. Even former parishioners I know aren't willing to do more than shrug.

A special interest group like Preservation Worcester is going to have to make an effort to save Notre Dame des Canadiens. But with $8 million in repairs needed to bring it back to use as even just a church again efforts may be hopeless. I don't think it's in the best location for the city either--it's awkwardly buried behind 90 Front Street and with downtown heating up again (including the block across the street) it is absolutely creating a dead zone.

Saving something like the Union Congregation Church on Chestnut Street is one thing but that is a better structure by miles. I'm not sure I agree about the importance or value of this one.

I thought I replied this morning, but I guess it got eaten by the internet gods.

If you look at Notre Dame, and then the area around it - it doesn't fit the area anymore. You have a mid-rise office building next to it, and numerous multi-story buildings being built in the vicinity as part of CitySquare. It is in an awkward spot and it's the puzzle piece that doesn't fit.

Not to mention St. Paul's Cathedral is only a 6 minute walk away from Notre Dame, St. John's is over on Temple St. (a 5 minute walk), plus there's other numerous churches in Worcester that are right on top of one another (just look at St. Stephen's and St. Joseph's/Holy Family). I foresee the diocese closing down more parishes due to dwindling attendance and a lack of priests to run them. You can't save them all, and some definitely fit the area around them much better than Notre Dame.

Worcester 2020: Video depicts downtown transformation - real and imagined

By Mark Sullivan
Telegram & Gazette Staff

WORCESTER - With the help of a little computer-generated magic, viewers can take a walk from Union Station to the Hanover Theatre through a future downtown Worcester remarkably transformed.

The 6-minute, 34-second video was screened Wednesday at the annual meeting of the Worcester Business Development Corp. at the Hanover Theatre for the Performing Arts.

Featured are the Worcester Idea Lab's executive director, Joshua Croke, and Assistant Director Kyla Pacheco, as visitors to Worcester in 2020. Hanover Theatre President and Chief Executive Troy Siebels serves as tour guide for the video, which highlights initiatives both real and imagined.

The segment highlights the pending work associated with the $565 million CitySquare development, including a new hotel and apartment complex off Front Street. It mentions the new WRTA bus facility and the move downtown of hundreds of UMass Memorial Healthcare information technology jobs.

In the predictions department, the video suggests downtown will feature a dog park and a public sculpture garden by 2020, that the Denholm Building will be converted to a state office building and that a section of Southbridge Street will be closed off for a plaza in front of the theater and the federal courthouse.

FULL ARTICLE

Direct video link: http://player.tout.com/telegram/dzwbda

Two thoughts about this:

1. Damn, they actually have a vision for downtown.
2. Some of this is ludicrous - an NHL team, non-stop flights from London to Worcester......what are they smoking?

It has been increasingly depressing in that mall for a few years now. The Auburn Mall has the slight declining feel that the Greendale Mall had maybe 10 years ago. I think Auburn is getting a movie theater and cash injection though. We'll see. Increasing business in Blackstone and Northboro have to be crushing the existing malls.

To be honest, it should just close down, that whole area (Mass Lotto building, Greendale Mall, etc.) is due for a redevelopment.

People still go to Auburn because it's easily accessible off 290 and has good solid corner tenants. The current plan for reinvestment to the Auburn Mall may take back some of the people who went to Millbury.

The Millbury and Northboro plazas have all but squeezed the remainder of the market share from Greendale and are slowly killing Auburn, but we'll see what happens to the one on Southbridge St.

Not sure if this counts as an "improvement"

Railers hockey club owner invests in rinks planned for Canal District

By Aaron Nicodemus
Telegram & Gazette Staff

WORCESTER - The owner of the Worcester Railers Hockey Club has become an investor and developer in the plan to build two hockey rinks on property in the Canal District.

Cliff Rucker of Danvers said the $12 million to $15 million project is a joint effort between him and the project's initial developer, Marathon Sports Group.

The Worcester Business Development Corp., which is demolishing the former PresMet Corp. buildings at Harding and Winter streets and cleaning up contamination at the site, has signed a 50-year land lease with Worcester Sports Center LLC.

The WBDC, which bought the property in December for $10, is preparing the site for construction, said Craig L. Blais, WBDC president and chief executive. The WBDC will spend about $2.5 million to remove contaminants and demolish the buildings on the site. The Worcester Sports Center group will design and build the 100,000-square-foot facility, which will have two full-size skating rinks and about 40,000 square feet of retail space.

Worcester Sports Center LLC consists of Mr. Rucker and a principal of Marathon Sports Group, Scott Rouisse. Two local banks, Fidelity Bank of Leominster and Bay State Bank of Worcester, provided financing for the deal. An earlier plan had Marathon Sports Group as the sole owner and developer. Now, Marathon Sports will be the builder of the rink.

Mr. Rucker said the rinks will be used for practices by the Railers, and will be rented to youth, high school, college teams, and adult leagues for games, practices and tournaments. The Railers will host hockey clinics and camps at the facility. Mr. Rucker said he hopes the rinks will become a hub of year-round hockey activity. The Railers will also sell team gear in some of the facility's retail space, he said. One thing he does not intend to do is launch a Railers junior hockey club, as he does not want to interfere with existing youth hockey leagues in Central Massachusetts.

The developers will formally present the plan to the Planning Board May 18, where they will seek site plan approval. The facility, on 3.5 acres at Winter and Harding streets, was originally expected to be completed in 2017, and that plan is still realistic, Mr. Rucker said.

In a separate deal, Mr. Rucker has signed a purchase and sale for the former Bar FX at 90 Commercial St., next to the DCU Center. The bar will be converted into a Railers hockey-themed sports bar that will be a place for fans to gather before and after games, he said. The deal will not close until the Zoning Board of Appeals rules on a special permit request scheduled to be heard next week, he said.

"I don't know if it will be called the Railers Sports Bar, or Railers Pub, or whatever, but it will have Railers in the name," he said. "The vision was essentially to have a place for fans of the hockey club to gather." The bar will seat about 100 people and will serve food, he said. Once the special permit issue is resolved, he will still need to obtain a liquor license, he said.

The investments are part of an effort by Mr. Rucker to build sustainable, complementary business ventures around the Railers Hockey Club.

FULL ARTICLE

The Downtown Urban Revitalization Plan from the WRA has been released.

Designates the area specified below as an urban revitalization area. Plan is to encourage property owners to spruce up their building(s) or sell them to someone who will. Last resort is eminent domain, IF, and ONLY IF, the city has a developer with a plan set to go.

bVH6MKh.jpg

PDF File HERE (not light reading)

From the NY Times:

What Happened to Worcester?
A central Massachusetts city enabled the author’s ancestors to move into the good life of the middle class. That move is more complicated now.

By ADAM DAVIDSON
APRIL 27, 2016

The house existed, in my mind, as an idea, almost a dream, before I ever discovered the actual place: “Bumpa’s house,” the home of my father’s grandfather. It represented, in the telling of my father and other older relatives, the kind of place you’d get to live in if you worked hard. It was huge, on a hill, with a big yard, and every Christmas it was filled with toys: “Bicycles and skis and basketballs,” my dad, Jack, now 79, recalled. “And a croquet set.”

On Zillow these days, its value is estimated at just over $200,000, which happens to be almost exactly the median price for an existing house in the United States. This seems fitting. For my father’s family, the dreams fulfilled by this house had meant a climb from bare subsistence to the middle. This house was the middle; Worcester, where the house still stands, was the middle. The life that Bumpa and Narny built here was the middle. And that, to them and to their children and grandchildren, was a triumph, the goal of a good life.

Having studied the American economy for years, I’ve often reflected on how much my father’s family perfectly models the middle-class story — how closely the details of their lives illustrate the bigger economic forces around them. The way I read economic history, the middle class was a driving force in the American economy for about a century, starting in the second half of the 1800s. Its growth created a virtuous circle: The more people moved into the middle, the more money they made and spent, and the richer the country became, which made more room for more people to move into the middle too.

But in learning about my family’s economic history, I’ve also come to understand how deeply their story is embedded in the history of a place, of one particular city created by and for the middle class. When I mention Worcester to people from New England, they often give a knowing nod or laugh — this unlovely, down-on-its-luck city of dead industry and collapsing buildings. But Worcester was an engine for betterment until the middle of the 20th century, a magical place that transformed lost and impoverished lives.

A few weeks ago, I called my dad to relate what I had learned about his grandparents, George and Mildred Bestick. He told me he knew almost nothing about them before they got to Worcester, where they had settled by 1917. Bumpa and Narny existed as if they had no history. As a child, all my dad knew was that the Bestick name was Irish and that Narny, born Mildred Bailey, came from an old, proud New England family with Mayflower ancestry. They were respectable, clearly. Just look at the massive house and Bumpa’s three-piece suits and Narny’s quiet devotion to her Baptist church.

Only recently, I learned that this respectability was actually self-reinvention, built on top of origins in poverty and chaos. My great-grandparents’ economic journey was one that’s harder to make today, in part because there are fewer “middle” cities now. Even during the middle-class heyday of the 20th century, they couldn’t have done it without Worcester.

FULL ARTICLE

I highly recommend the read!

Also, a few other things:

Remember that ice hockey rink proposal?

Well, it's still going forward. The new ECHL team, the Worcester Railers, is investing in the property, and has signed agreements in place for rink time.

Also, the Canal District guys found a render of it:

13124960_10206136082625428_897415108199538596_n.jpg

Wrong location for this facility, IMO. Stick it out on Rt. 20, not in downtown.

---------------------------------------------------

WRTA is cancelling Line 10, the bus line servicing Assumption, Worcester State, & Holy Cross after HC pulled the plug on their payments for it.

Plug being pulled on WRTA 'college route,' which connected Worcester students to downtown

RANT: (disclaimer, I may be employed by one of the colleges the line services, so I am a bit biased here)

Holy Cross cites low ridership, but this is the proverbial chicken and an egg issue - there was only 1 bus servicing the route, and it rarely showed up on time at Assumption (the western end of the route). How can it have good ridership if the single bus that supposedly comes every hour, shows up at random weird times? Explain to me how that's convenient to the college kid?

Or how about how it only goes Monday to Friday, 7a - 7p. Why would the kids use it during those hours? They go out on nights, not daytime hours.

/END RANT

I snagged a couple pictures of a couple recent renovations around town last night. They've been working on upgrading the bridge that carries Rt 9 over Lake Quinsigamond and connects Worcester to Shrewsbury. The finished product is actually quite nice, looks like more effort went into it than most infrastructural upgrades around here. Kinda hard to get the whole thing in one shot, but it lights up and changes color at night. There's more lights on the lower part of the bridge near the waterline.

Another thing that caught my eye was this clock tower nearby, which I've seen scaffolding on over the past few months. I'm not totally sure the purpose/history of this one-- maybe someone else knows more. I went up to check out the finished product, it's a pretty handsome structure.

Another thing that caught my eye was this clock tower nearby, which I've seen scaffolding on over the past few months. I'm not totally sure the purpose/history of this one-- maybe someone else knows more. I went up to check out the finished product, it's a pretty handsome structure.

The clock tower is actually original to Worcester State Hospital when the facility was originally built at the turn of the century. Originally it was part of a building, but due to space limitations, the old facility from the turn of the century was knocked down and replaced with the modern one.

Google maps street view of the area around the hospital hasn't been updated yet, so you can take take a look at what used to be there.

Nice shots.

In a nutshell, the clock tower was the centerpiece of the old Worcester State Hospital (it was actually part of a larger, historically significant building which caught fire in 91 and was leveled in 2008) which was was ahead of the curve in terms of psychiatric treatment in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Sigmund Freud visited the facility in 1909 on his only trip to the U.S.

That tower is a replica of the original (and is actually a little smaller) and utilizes some of the original stone as well as a great deal of concrete that was carefully crafted to look like the original stone. They did a great job. Preservation Worcester really fought for it to be preserved as they built the Worcester Recovery Center and Hospital on the site. They succeeded. It cost $2.3 Million to recreate.

From the NY Times:

FULL ARTICLE

I highly recommend the read!

I liked the article but I disliked the headline and the lack of modern context. He could have told the story of his family and the fall of the story -then followed it with more about revitalization in the city. The last story he tells about the Iraqi could have been expanded on and he could have found other modern stories of immigrants surviving in the modern Worcester, a city that is actually growing.

The South Worcester Industrial Park (SWIP) adds another parcel to the "sold" list.

Planned Armory Business Center announced for Worcester industrial park

By Walter Bird Jr. May 12, 2016

Local entrepreneur and developer Steven Rothschild has announced plans to build a 16,800-square-foot working hub called Armory Business Center in the long suffering South Worcester Industrial Park.

The project, according to a press release from Rothschild, will be comprised of three, 5,600-square-foot buildings, each divided into 1,876-square-foot work spaces. Each section will provide space for manufacturing, research and development and re-seller businesses.

Armory Business Center would be located at 49 Canterbury St.

“This is about developing businesses in Worcester and creating jobs,” Rothschild said. “There are 7,000 manufacturers in Massachusetts and 91 percent have a payroll of fewer than 40 employees. There is significant demand for facilities that support small manufacturing businesses.

“These buildings will offer virtually everything tenants are seeking. Native plantings irrigated by roof runoff will surround the property. Energy-efficient LED lighting will light building exteriors. The parking lot will be made of a permeable material that will help replenish groundwater. Interiors will be open, power will be ample, and occupancy costs will be low.”

The space could mark one of the most ambitious efforts at what is known as SWIP, an 11-acre brownfield site officials have labored to market to developers. It is located in the city’s so-called Main South section, near Clark University. Earlier this year, the city sold one parcel on the property to the parent company of Absolute Machinery, which operates out of the industrial park.

FULL ARTICLE

---------------------------------------------------------------

A drain on the city.....is becoming a shelter?

Main South neighbors: convert 'horrendous' Albion to apartments, not another shelter

By Mark Sullivan
Telegram & Gazette Staff

WORCESTER - Main South neighbors who described the Albion rooming house as a deplorable flophouse urged the prospective buyer of the troubled property at 765 Main Street to convert the building to a market-rate apartment building instead of a shelter.

"Right now, we have a building that's horrendous, for the people who have to live there, and for the people in the neighborhood," Maritza Cruz, a local business owner and former City Council candidate, said at a meeting of the Shepard-King Neighborhood Association on Thursday.

She recalled the public debate 25 years ago over the old PIP shelter for public inebriates at 701 Main St. "I'm so sick and tired at this point in 2016 we're still dealing with this issue," she said. "District 4, Main South, dumping area, this is where everything comes. When you have a shelter, we're going to get families from outside. It becomes Worcester's problem.

"Convert the building into an apartment building," Ms. Cruz said.
The Albion's prospective buyer, David Myers, a Framingham-based property manager and real-estate investor, attended the meeting held at St. Mary Health Center on Queen Street.

Mr. Myers and a partner, Ronald Swartz of New York, are preparing to sign a purchase-and-sale agreement on the Albion, which was put on the market in February for $1.1 million. The 68-unit rooming house has been notorious for code violations and criminal activity. Mr. Myers and his partner are considering converting it into an emergency shelter for families.

Under that scenario, the current tenants gradually would be moved out over the next several months. After deleading and renovations, the building would be re-opened in January 2017 as an emergency congregate shelter for 34 families.

The building would be leased to a social service agency that would run the shelter. However, Mr. Myers said Thursday, a potential agency partner has yet to be identified.

"The first thing we're going to do with the building, no matter what, is put a ton of money into it," he said. "The thing needs a bath - from pressure-washing it, to making sure we get rid of the pests that are in there, to refinishing all the hardwood floors and replacing all the ceiling tiles and improving the lighting in the building - just to make it a place where the residents, whoever they are, can live with dignity and a sense of cleanliness.

"Most importantly to us, from a social perspective, is to have on-site services and staff there... That's key to the shift we're looking to make - whatever the model is, if it's an individual shelter or a family shelter or something else completely different, our goal is, we want to have wraparound services for that population, because it cannot continue to be a building that produces 1,500 police calls in the last three years."

In addition to more than 1,500 police calls, more than 400 ambulance calls have been made to the building over the past three years, according to former City Councilor Barbara Haller.

In January 2014, the Albion was the site of a fatal shooting in which a security guard at the rooming house was charged with gunning down a custodian.

"It's the largest rooming-house in the city and the most problematic building in the city," said Frank Zitomersky, who owns the Standish Apartments next door at 769-771 Main St. He said he has had one police call at his own building in the past 10 years, while the Albion had 649 last year.

FULL ARTICLE

I don't really see how this is a win for main south.

Oi......

Canal District ice rink facility approved unanimously by Planning Board
By Tom Quinn -May 18, 2016

The Worcester Planning Board unanimously approved and praised a proposal to build a skating rink facility in the Canal District on a night when community supporters excited about economic spinoff and meeting a demand for hockey facilities outnumbered detractors worried about the building’s large footprint detracting from the character of the neighborhood.

The development arm of the Worcester Business Development Corporation currently owns the site and has secured funds to conduct brownfield remediation on what used to be known as the Presmet manufacturing property.

The proposed two-rink facility – proposed years ago at the Worcester Public Library parking lot and shot down amidst community support – will comprise 101,000 sq feet across three lots and four acres of land, according to Bob Clark, who explained the design on behalf of Marathon Construction and other partners. Around 30,000 sq feet will be retail space, and there will also be room for locker rooms and a viewing area. The project gained momentum after Cliff Rucker, the owner of the new Worcester Railers hockey team, announced he was buying in to the project. Although the Railers will play their home games at the DCU Center, the team would use the facility for practice. It would also serve Worcester Public Schools and other area programs.

“There’s no hockey presence in the city. Build a facility and give the kids a place to play,” Robert Liddy, the president of the Worcester Junior Sharks nonprofit hockey team, said. “This facility is part of bringing hockey pride back to Worcester.”

John Brissette, a self-proclaimed hockey dad who was part of the previous push to give Worcester a hockey rink, rattled off a list of communities with facilities, while noting his sons, who live in Worcester, play their home games in Marlboro. He was one of many to forsee economic benefits for the neighborhood and the city as a whole with parents and kids coming to the facility to play hockey.

“Hockey people have money to spend,” Brissette said.

The project has a full head of steam – in addition to City Manager Ed Augustus Jr., who has voiced support for the proposal in the past and reiterated his support today, an invitation to a groundbreaking ceremony on Friday that was sent out a few hours before the Planning Board meeting listed MassDevelopment, U.S. Congressman Jim McGovern and Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito as attendees.

But some in the Canal District, which is mainly comprised of small properties and single proprietors, have concerns about putting a large, single-use building with 150 parking spots in the middle of one of Worcester’s most walkable neighborhoods.

“That doesn’t sound very interesting or inviting … what we’re going to have here is a drive to facility and a drive home facility,” John Giangregorio, the president of the Canal District Business Association, said. “It’s just putting a Wal-Mart type building, a warehouse type building in the middle of the Canal District.”

Giangregorio’s complaints about the project ran a gauntlet from concerns that the design did not meet requirements outlined in the Commercial Corridor Overlay District, which aims for interesting, pedestrian-friendly structures, to an argument that since hockey is a sport favored by boys and not girls, that the facility would be unfair to Worcester’s female population.

“Do we want to see the site clean? Yes,” Giangregorio said. “Do we want to see the site developed? Yes. But the appropriate development is [smaller] buildings with interesting possibilities for retail to encourage pedestrians to come onto Harding Street and walk around.”

City Director of Planning Stephen Rolle called the project “exciting,” and confirmed three conditions the city administration asked for to make the project more palatable for the city.

“It’s a large building and we wanted it to fit in well with the Canal District,” Rolle said, noting the proponents’ cooperation with an interdisciplinary team from the city and recommending approval of the site plan.

Clark said the project would comply with a condition to use graffiti resistant paint, to reduce the wall height to six feet on Harding Street, and to install lighting in the parking lot, which he said would be accomplished with solar power.

FULL ARTICLE

This quote from longtime city activist Jo Hart sums it up rather well:

“This is like a giant dinosaur coming down and just stomping on [the Canal District], it just simply should be in a different place.”

Worcester once again showing its planning incompetence. Sigh. I give up.

Typical Worcester. That thing doesn't belong there and it's obvious it doesn't belong there... but it's going to get built. Wasn't the original plan to drop it on the other side of Kelly Square? That might make some sense.

Typical Worcester. That thing doesn't belong there and it's obvious it doesn't belong there... but it's going to get built. Wasn't the original plan to drop it on the other side of Kelly Square? That might make some sense.

Nope, plan all along was right there on the old factory site.

In other news.....

Diocese applies for demolition delay waiver, beating city push to change rules
By Tom Quinn - May 19, 2016

The Catholic Diocese of Worcester has applied for a waiver to the city’s demolition delay ordinance, which mandates a 12 month waiting period for buildings listed on the Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System. If granted at the Historical Commission’s June 9 meeting, the waiver would allow the Diocese to tear the historic Italian church down right away, a significant development given fierce resistance from parishioners, a city push to extend the demolition delay waiting period and an opinion from a city engineer that conflicts with some findings from the parish-hired architectural firm.

The application for a waiver was filed today, just before the deadline to get an item on the Historical Commission’s June 9 meeting. The City Council had tried to expedite a new rule that would extend the waiting period to 18 months, anticipating the parish’s application, and if the diocese had waiting any longer they might have gotten an ordinance passed that would have affected the Mount Carmel application. As it stands now, the Diocese could benefit from the shorter waiting period.

FULL ARTICLE

Back