Worst Empty Parcel

Status
Not open for further replies.

briv

Reaction score
Nominate what you believe is the most detrimental vacant lot in the Boston area.

Previous winners:

North End Municipal Lot

Former Boston Garden Site

Former Filene's

Fenway Center Pike parcels

Seaport Square parcels

Empty parcels around Roxbury Crossing and the SW Corridor

Harvard-Allston parcels

As I do every year, I nominate the Rose Kennedy Greenway, only in part out of pure trollery.

Kenmore Square parking lot
Sargent's wharf
Lot at the intersection of Columbus & Berkeley
Lot at Dartmouth and Newbury
(there are many to choose from... :( )

Last edited:
(1) Lots on Bishop Allen x Prospect in central sq.
(2) The multiple lots owned by S&S Diner that exist like infected pockmarks on the otherwise fine face of Inman sq.

Oh oh and a couple in Harvard Sq: the one on Church Street and the sort of bi-level thing in front of the Harvard Sq. Hotel (if that counts).

Parking lot in front of CVS strip mall on Brighton Ave in Allston. Not empty per se but it really kills the streetscape

The Parking lot next to the Forecaster Building at Merrimac and Friend Streets. Across from courthouse and government center garage

Parking lot in front of CVS strip mall on Brighton Ave in Allston. Not empty per se but it really kills the streetscape

Oh I put that under worst new development since it was freshly renovated this past year.

There is an empty parcel on Cambridge Street behind the CVS though, where that school burned down and was never replaced.

As I do every year, I nominate the Rose Kennedy Greenway, only in part out of pure trollery.

Naturally, the Boston Common must also be nominated, then. Not just "in part out of pure trolley", but simply out of 100% pure trollery.

I nominate the lots between A Street and the Fort Point Channel. Tremendous waste!

EDIT: Add to that the lot off Marginal St, where the Bremen St Greenway ends.

that lot and parking lot next to the barking crab where that cool 4 story condo thing is supposed to go.

Here is a sad, sad little parcel I pass a lot. Is it supposed to be a park? This is off of Essex Street near the service entrance to 1 Financial Center. I am not sure what one would do with this, so I think it is destined to be empty and forlorn for many years to come.
http://goo.gl/maps/FpCS3

I'm going to nominate the parking lot behind the Park Plaza Castle on Arlington Street. This might be tricky to build on, as I think it also serves a loading dock.

Semass: probably impossible to build on, as there is highway directly under it.

That whole "Surface Artery" stretch between South Station and Chinatown is an abomination. Methinks it should be nominated for the Hall of Shame (doing so now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back