Worst New Development of 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

briv

Reaction score
All members are encouraged to nominate a Boston area project* completed in 2011 that they believe is deserving of special recognition for its negative impact on the built environment.

Previous winners:

No Award

One Marina Park Drive

Rose Kennedy Greenway

*includes all project types, i.e., building, park, infrastructure project, etc.

St. Cecelia's addition
Harvard Northwest Law
Brookline Korean Church

lawn care treatment of Dewey Square after the hippies left. I'm fucking serious!

MassArt Dorm

If you don't include the MassArt dorm then technically by default you can't include Atlantic Wharf since it's still not 100% complete.

i second St. Cecelia's addition and Harvard Northwest Law

EDIT:
I would also like to nominate the MFA's renovated modern art wing if that is possible. the layout and art sucks.

Last edited:
Seriously? Saint Cecelia's addition? People, this was a very small scale project with no architectural significance or city-wide impact, facing a street that nobody every goes down. I doubt whether even in cities like Cleveland a similar project would even merit comments and discussion.

If you don't include the MassArt dorm then technically by default you can't include Atlantic Wharf since it's still not 100% complete.

Hmm...I assumed Atlantic Wharf was done by now considering the lobby was open and guarded by June. I wonder what's taking so long.

Atlantic Wharf is definitely open/opened in 2011, and it is far from the worst new development in Boston.

Purely because there was so little development to criticize last year, I'll have to go with St. Cecilia's addition also. I live nearby and walk past it a couple times a week--it is a P.O.S., but whatever.

Atlantic Wharf is definitely open/opened in 2011, and it is far from the worst new development in Boston.

I think he was talking about including Atlantic Wharf in the "development" categories in general.

The claim was that if you don't allow MassArt to be nominated as "worst new development," then Atlantic Wharf shouldn't be allowed to be nominated in "best new development."

It doesn't matter anyway, because Atlantic Wharf is clearly open and the point is moot.

Hands down, Atlantic Wharf.

I'll defend myself...

Contemporary meets historic just wasn't enough. So...

1. Add toothpick spire
2. Add large grid
3. Add bright white LED cap
4. Add six large white braces protruding from three floors below cap
5. Add colored LED uplighting to spire
6. Add colored LED uplighting to portions of grid

And finally, contrary to BRA's public statements during its "planning" gyrations, not a single civic space (opera, black box theater, performance space) was sited along the edge of the Fort Point Channel from Atlantic Wharf, Intercontinental, Independence Wharf. It's great if you have some cash for a burger at Smith & Wollensky, but 100% commercial retail doesn't cut it as a world-class city. Even along RKG side, no civic use frontage whatsoever (BSA leases space on 2nd floor, entrance on Congress).

Last edited:
I think the toothpick could run alone and win--ugh.

I'll defend myself...

1. Add toothpick spire
2. Add large grid

And finally, contrary to BRA's public statements during its "planning" gyrations, not a single civic space (opera, black box theater, performance space) was sited along the edge of the Fort Point Channel from Atlantic Wharf, Intercontinental, Independence Wharf. It's great if you have some cash for a burger at Smith & Wollensky, but 100% commercial retail doesn't cut it as a world-class city. Even along RKG side, no civic use frontage whatsoever (BSA leases space on 2nd floor, entrance on Congress).

The like the LED lightings and colored LEDs appearing near Fort Point, in the Seaport, etc... The white lights in the windows and the white and blue roof/crown lights make great scenery.

I'll defend myself...

1. Add toothpick spire
2. Add large grid

Would like to see a visual depiction of your idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back