Worst New Development of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

briv

Reaction score
All members are encouraged to nominate a Boston area project* completed in 2012 that they believe is deserving of special recognition for its negative impact on the built environment.

Previous winners:

No Award

No Award

One Marina Park Drive

Rose Kennedy Greenway

*includes all project types, i.e., building, park, infrastructure project, etc.

Renovation of the Rite Aide-turn-CVS strip mall in Allston

The coffee/bank kiosk at the corner of Merrimac and Friend streets, formerly a Mobil Station. http://goo.gl/maps/7GmIO the structure is not shown in this picture, but this is the site.
The parking lot next to the Forecaster Building will be my nominee for worst vacant parcel.

^ Three quick posts, with three good responses. Looks like there will be an award for this category this year.

And next year I suspect Kensington Place will roll over any competition.

Where in Cambridge is the 'blue box', and was it actually finished in 2012?

Last year there was a lot of hate for the (then still incomplete) Harvard Law School building. I don't think it turned out badly at all, but wonder if someone still wants to nominate it.

^ that.

Harvard Northwest Law a.k.a the sumo wrestler about to charge across Mass Ave.

I've ventured inside the Harvard Law building and it's even more of a palatial fascist waste inside than out. Seconded.

I've gone to a few lectures there and eaten in the cafeteria, and found it quite pleasant.

The building was also nominated last year but really shouldn't have been, as it didn't officially open until February 2012.

8059138131_4d0d7bcb85_c.jpg

The 2012 development I love to hate (thanks, DowntownDave):

20121214-PC140074_zps4cdf011e.jpg

Behold the blue box. The sheer futility on display here is astounding:

7236037646_f7fa5020a9_c.jpg

I second this thing. Coming up the street this thing looks like its 40 yrs old and its brand new!

The 2012 development I love to hate (thanks, DowntownDave):

20121214-PC140074_zps4cdf011e.jpg

Thank you Charlie! That is exactly the one I meant in my post but I don't have photo capability. The parking lot behind is my nominee for worst empty lot.

Holy shit there is spectacular competition in this category this year.

I feel like a kid in a candy store..of, uh, candy so bad it's good? People, preach your respective choices so I know what to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back