Your opinion on the State Street building

:confused: How can you describe this building as filler?? It is one of the most eye-catching, distinctive, and memorable buildings in the entire city. Love it or hate it, it isn't filler.

16th tallest in the city, 17th to the roof. Boston has a strong supporting cast but is still lacking in the headliners. While SS stands out due to design and lighting, it's still dominated by 1 Financial next door.

"Filler" may not be a completely appropriate term, but from many angles this just isn't tall enough to stick out from the crowd. It does look great coming in from the South.

I love it...it fits nicely into the context of the surrounding buildings and greets one coming from the south.

Ditto to the consensus regarding its commanding, stately, serene presence when viewed from the south.

In particular, when standing at the corner of Lincoln & Beach (i.e. Chinatown Gate vicinity), at sunset during the sunnier months, the sunset falling along the Essex St. corridor playing off it and "Little Buddy" [Radian] (whoever coined that on ArchBoston, a Gold Star to you, sir or madam!) is just sublime, as this Google screen-capture is hopelessly inadequate at conveying:

picture.php

Similarly, the view driving north on the Southeast Expressway, then zooming up the ascending on-ramp to I-90 Westbound before plunging down, is balls-to-the-wall awesome. Another Google screen-capture hopelessly inadequate at conveying:

picture.php

i like it. it's great post modernism doing art deco. i don't mind the width at all. or the Avalon/Nashua St precast below the glass. It probably should have gone 80-120' taller to give it a much nicer a/r. 620' (instead of 503') would have been epic here. Did they try to go higher and the Menino admn chopped it?

Back