Logan Airport Capital Projects

xh4dZKF.png

Contractor briefing slides:

https://www.massport.com/capitalprogramsattachments/L1429-C2/L1429-C2 Briefing.pdf

I'm a little confused by the numbers they've picked here. If they wanted to capitalize on familiarity with "40-42", why not number the whole connector as Terminal C 40-43? Alternatively, they could have gone with B39-42. Instead, they have two gates labeled in each terminal but keep all the numbers in the C scheme, meaning that walking in from Terminal B you jump from 38 to 43 then reverse direction to 42.

The average traveler won't notice, but this is just weird.

I get that there are underlying reasons...but that gate numbering scheme sure is convoluted:

A person walking along a straight path sees the numbers go: B42, C41, C40, C25

Good luck to the wayfinding signage person on this one...

Ha! You posted while I was editing.

I get that there are underlying reasons...but that gate numbering scheme sure is convoluted:

A person walking along a straight path sees the numbers go: B42, C41, C40, C25

Good luck to the wayfinding signage person on this one...

The 25-40 jump is because the numbers in between are on the pier, but it honestly would have made more sense to just skip 25 and have that gate be 40.

I also don't understand why airports are so loath to change gate numbers. Austin is adding 9 gates on to the low end of their terminal, meaning that they've had to increase all the existing gates by 9. They're treating it like they're mobilizing for a land war.

Just renumber all of Terminal C to increment from South to North (as B and E do) and be done with it. First gate in the connector is C1, last one next to Terminal E (current C5) is C30. Current C numbering actually skips a few times. There's no C1-C4, C22-C24, or C37-C39.

The check-in area/hall at Terminal C is pretty large, almost too big. I am wondering if Massport has ever though about relaiming it for more space post security?

The check-in area/hall at Terminal C is pretty large, almost too big. I am wondering if Massport has ever though about relaiming it for more space post security?

I do early morning departures a lot on JetBlue. The check-in area can get filled to capacity, and the security line can wrap all the way around the outside perimeter of the hall.

Terminal B new security checkpoint it open, anyone gone through it yet?

Are the AC orphan gates connected yet?

I flew Air Canada a month ago and they were not connected yet. It did not appear they were even working on that end of the terminal. The great hall looked like it was almost done and they were working hard on the new security checkpoint. Plus it looks like the AA Admirals club was getting some sort of renovation.

Maybe a lot has changed in the last 4 weeks and they've moved down to that end of the terminal? That's going to be one of the most welcomed upgrades Logan has made.

I flew Air Canada a month ago and they were not connected yet. It did not appear they were even working on that end of the terminal. The great hall looked like it was almost done and they were working hard on the new security checkpoint. Plus it looks like the AA Admirals club was getting some sort of renovation.

Maybe a lot has changed in the last 4 weeks and they've moved down to that end of the terminal? That's going to be one of the most welcomed upgrades Logan has made.

I flew on AC a couple weeks ago and it looked like no work was being done over there, so I was confused about the status of the construction.

I know someone who did today... said it looked like a work in progress still.

I did it on Friday. Once you get through it, you have to meander along a corridor flanked by walls shielding a construction zone to reach the higher numbered B gates. The most south of the old entrances to the terminal (closest to the shuttle gates) is closed.

I did it on Friday. Once you get through it, you have to meander along a corridor flanked by walls shielding a construction zone to reach the higher numbered B gates. The most south of the old entrances to the terminal (closest to the shuttle gates) is closed.

Per A.Net, here's an NBC Boston report that got some pics from inside:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...vations-Enhancements-Terminals-497607251.html

I'm sure those would be in the Massport Board visuals, if. they'd. ever. update. that. page.

Per A.Net, here's an NBC Boston report that got some pics from inside:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...vations-Enhancements-Terminals-497607251.html

I'm sure those would be in the Massport Board visuals, if. they'd. ever. update. that. page.

Massport is pretty stingy when it comes to providing updates on construction projects. Not sure if it's a lack of man power to get the photos and updates? Or if they just don't care enough to share what's happening with their projects.

Massport is pretty stingy when it comes to providing updates on construction projects. Not sure if it's a lack of man power to get the photos and updates? Or if they just don't care enough to share what's happening with their projects.

There was a time about 5 years ago when they were all over it on Facebook... I'd guess it's just that the young employee(s) managing social media have moved on and no one else took over.

Massport is getting ready to go on the Terminal C roadways and canopy. NTP for construction in November:

https://www.massport.com/capitalprogramsattachments/L1548-C2/L1548-C2 Trade Supplemental Info.pdf

This, btw, is what they'll be building:

https://www.massport.com/capitalpro...548-C1 2018.06.19_Terminal C RFQ Briefing.pdf

That temporary setup utilizing the central garage is going to be an absolute nightmare. I give them credit for coming up with the idea - in theory it's a novel solution. But in reality, given the capacity issues of the garage to begin with and the fact that JetBlue is the major carrier at Logan, that traffic is going to be insane.

And on another note - the original terminal C building was pretty cool from an architectural standpoint. But now, after the additions and multiple renovations, it's literally a shell of its former self.

Nice shot, where did you find it? How much additional space is the club getting?

I wonder what is going to happen to the Admirals Club space on the other side of Terminal B?

Back