Logan Airport Capital Projects

That temporary setup utilizing the central garage is going to be an absolute nightmare. I give them credit for coming up with the idea - in theory it's a novel solution. But in reality, given the capacity issues of the garage to begin with and the fact that JetBlue is the major carrier at Logan, that traffic is going to be insane.

And on another note - the original terminal C building was pretty cool from an architectural standpoint. But now, after the additions and multiple renovations, it's literally a shell of its former self.

I'd challenge that a little - the check-in hall is quite striking in my opinion, even more now than when I was a kid.

Nice shot, where did you find it? How much additional space is the club getting?

I wonder what is going to happen to the Admirals Club space on the other side of Terminal B?

Found it on Flyertalk. Not sure how much new space the club is getting in terms of square footage but going by the dotted line showing the space the old club occupied it looks much larger although there's a lot of back of house space that probably didn't exist in the old club. I'm sure it'll still be very congested at busier times. As for the other club, one of the RFQs for the renovation of that pier showed an additional gate being added there.

Thanks for posting! Hopefully October slides will be up today or tomorrow.

Just looking over the agenda for the October meeting and it doesn't look like much in the way of Logan. Terminal B sanitary pipe replacement and that's about it. November's board meeting looks a lot more interesting - Terminal E talk and Terminal B to C connector talk.

How many times are they going to remodel this airport?

A lot, because it is really challenging to take a space constrained 1960's airport layout and try to operate it effectively with 2018 volumes and connection patterns.

All these projects are capacity upgrades to different parts of the airport. It is not like it is the same project over and over again!

Kudos to Massport for having the vision to see these projects through, while managing to minimize disruptions to ongoing airport operations.

Upgrading and putting money into Logan airport is a very good use of money as Logan is vital to the economy of Boston, the Boston metro area and all of Eastern MA. Given the powers that be did not have the foresight back in the 1970s or 1980s to build a brand new airport on a much larger footprint, Massport has to work with what they have and they've done so to pretty great results. These projects as of late are expansions and upgrades to what is already present and very much needed.

Yeah. Was surprised to read that Logan passenger volume has increased by 50% in the last 10 years. Logan is a huge asset to the metro area.

And fwiw the roadway component of this Terminal C work is massive. They're going to create grade separated weaves for B & C traffic, which will require new concrete all the way back to where the barrel ramp is on the western half of the central garage,opposite Term A

Much needed to - was at Term B arrivals last night and the arrivals level weave between B&C is as absolute clustercluck.

The frustration is certainly warranted when you compare the importance of the MBTA system to the economy and the lack of investment in that.

For example:

They're going to create grade separated weaves for B & C traffic

What was the last time you heard of a project like this for the MBTA? Copley could certainly use a grade separated weave, for example.

The frustration is certainly warranted when you compare the importance of the MBTA system to the economy and the lack of investment in that.

For example:

What was the last time you heard of a project like this for the MBTA? Copley could certainly use a grade separated weave, for example.

The MBTA has over $2B in its annual capital budget. In the last few years, it has fully renovated two major downtown stations (Government Center and State). It is in the process of spending over a billion dollars replacing the entirety of the rolling stock on two of its three subway lines and bringing headways down to 3 or 4 minutes at peak. Once that's done, it's in the process of developing an all-new model for light rail service that will replace the entirety of that fleet over the next decade. All of that in addition to the construction of what in many cities would be an all-new light rail service to Somerville and Medford.

The T could use more investment, of course, but it's silly to claim that it's not being invested in at all. Now - back to Logan.

Yeah. Was surprised to read that Logan passenger volume has increased by 50% in the last 10 years. Logan is a huge asset to the metro area.

And fwiw the roadway component of this Terminal C work is massive. They're going to create grade separated weaves for B & C traffic, which will require new concrete all the way back to where the barrel ramp is on the western half of the central garage,opposite Term A

Much needed to - was at Term B arrivals last night and the arrivals level weave between B&C is as absolute clustercluck.

It's going to be a mess for the 2 years construction is happening, but once it's done it should go a long way to improving the flow of traffic. The Terminal C curbside work is also going to be a very nice upgrade.

Upgrading and putting money into Logan airport is a very good use of money as Logan is vital to the economy of Boston, the Boston metro area and all of Eastern MA. Given the powers that be did not have the foresight back in the 1970s or 1980s to build a brand new airport on a much larger footprint, Massport has to work with what they have and they've done so to pretty great results. These projects as of late are expansions and upgrades to what is already present and very much needed.

More importantly... they have the money from dedicated revenue through fees from Logan and are putting revenue from Logan back into Logan. As long as Massport fees are kept somewhat reasonably in line with fees charged at other airports then they can prioritize projects as they see fit.

For reference, a single A380 costs US$445.6 million.

I know the last car is the quiet car, but I missed the one that had lie down suites and 30 channels of entertainment.

Just as one of the most straightforward ways of adding long haul capacity at Heathrow and Charles de Gaulle airport was to build the Chunnel, one of the best ways to free up Long haul capacity at Logan (and DCA, PHL, and LGA) would be to improve rail service to New York, Philly, and DC. But the law forbids using PFCs in this way, and took an act of Congress to build WMTA' Silver Line (with airport $)

They once toyed around with the idea of putting the airport completely out to sea like the one in Osaka. I guess that plan fell through & they decided to concentrate on improving things at the present one.

I know the last car is the quiet car, but I missed the one that had lie down suites and 30 channels of entertainment.

Are you also one of those people who think granite counter tops are the difference between luxury and affordable condos? Exactly how much of the $445 million do you think is attributable to the TVs and couch cushions?

Back