Logan Airport Capital Projects

Bravo! The APM is a great idea and should have been built years ago.

Massport: We have a sustainability pledge and want to reduce vehicle trips to Logan.
Also Massport: Also we're building a 2000 car parking garage at Terminal E.

Massport: We have a sustainability pledge and want to reduce vehicle trips to Logan.
Also Massport: Also we're building a 2000 car parking garage at Terminal E.

I see your point, but as I understand it it's more about moving cars into that garage from the paved areas under the overpass where they park the overflow valet vehicles...

I see your point, but as I understand it it's more about moving cars into that garage from the paved areas under the overpass where they park the overflow valet vehicles...

They made that exact argument for the SBWTC.

They also make the claim that parking reduces vehicle trips because getting dropped off by a relative = 2 round trips, while driving yourself and parking = 1 round trip.

(And getting dropped of by uber and taking a cab home = 1.5 RTs, because Uber can drop off but not pick up ... i think...)

(obviously they don't assume its a 1-1 replacement of drop-offs to parking spaces....)

They also make the claim that parking reduces vehicle trips because getting dropped off by a relative = 2 round trips, while driving yourself and parking = 1 round trip.

(And getting dropped of by uber and taking a cab home = 1.5 RTs, because Uber can drop off but not pick up ... i think...)

(obviously they don't assume its a 1-1 replacement of drop-offs to parking spaces....)

Uber/Lyft can pick up

Does anyone feel that the APM will make the Blue Line more attractive for people to get to/from Logan?

Does anyone feel that the APM will make the Blue Line more attractive for people to get to/from Logan?

Yeah 100%. Level boarding, many wide doors, smooth ride for comfortable standing, frequent & evenly spaced frequencies.... It's going to make the SL look like ... a city bus crammed with luggage.

It's also going to make economy parking a lot more attractive.

Why does the APM stop spacing seem to "avoid" Terminal B? (the B stop looks more like a second A stop)

(and is the idea for "E Extension" that it will have its own security/egress right at the Blue Line)

Why does the APM stop spacing seem to "avoid" Terminal B? (the B stop looks more like a second A stop)

(and is the idea for "E Extension" that it will have its own security/egress right at the Blue Line)

My read on that was that one of the stops is for A and B and the other is supposed to be for the parking garage. That A gets two stops is an accident. I'm not sure I'd go with that stop arrangement, though.

And to your second point: no. The only in and out for E will be through the current headhouse. There will be a new checkpoint built as part of the extension, but it will be between the A380 gates and the ticketing hall.

Yes, absolutely, especially when coupled with RL-BL Connector.

I'd go farther than that and say that the APM makes Red/Blue essentially mandatory. Otherwise you're sticking Kendall with crappy airport transit relative to everyone else.

The skybridges there let you get to A and both sides of B within just a couple hundred feet

Also, is the future intermodal transportation center listed between the rental car faciliity and terminal A just another parking garage?

Also, is the future intermodal transportation center listed between the rental car faciliity and terminal A just another parking garage?

I don't believe it's been thought out yet, but no. It would include (presumably) an intercity bus station (Logan Express would probably continue to get right to the door as a perk), an enclosed "cell phone" lot, and loading space for some subset of taxis, limos, vanpools, and ride hailing services.

In form it would probably look like a garage, but it wouldn't be for storing cars.

In addition to what Equilibria said, I believe the plan is to relocate the ferry terminal for downtown/Hingham/Hull/(new Seaport route?), which should also make the ferry a much more attractive option.

Wasn't there also discussion of restricting curb access at the terminals, and providing a centralized point for car/taxi/Uber to APM transfers to gain terminal access?

I am surprised Massport is not going to move the economy lot, maybe put it next to the car rental facility. They're going to need space over near Terminal E to park planes.

I don't know that it will make a huge difference. I often go to Logan on the Blue Line and as it is it's fairly easy to catch the bus that is always waiting to go to all the terminals. On a couple occasions the bus hangs out at the first stop (the Car Rental Center) for what seemed like an unnecessarily long amount of time to keep on schedule, but generally you get from the Airport Station to your terminal in no more than 10 minutes. I suspect the APM will be a bit faster, but not by much, so I don't think this will significantly impact the Blue Line unless the frequencies of the APM are much better than the buses.
Someone implied that this would beat the SL--I don't think SL is the competition here: it's BL + APM vs BL + buses. I'm sure BL + APM will be better but not crazy better.

Back