Logan Airport Capital Projects

Are you also one of those people who think granite counter tops are the difference between luxury and affordable condos? Exactly how much of the $445 million do you think is attributable to the TVs and couch cushions?

A round trip ticket on a BA A380 to Heathrow will cost you roughly somewhere between $500 and $5000.

A round trip ticket to Alewife will cost you $4.50.

Comparing airlines investments versus MBTA investments makes no sense. They are completely different markets providing completely different services at completely different price points for the consumer.

Im sorry are you really trying to establish that the ticket cost has any relation to the capital cost of the vehicle?

That shows a complete disregard for how transportation pricing works.

The two main cost drivers of BA flights are 1) taxes and 2) fuel costs

The new Royal Caribbean Symphony of the Seas cost US$1.35 billion to build, but the cost for one night aboard is about $90.

I'm a little obsessed with the B-C roadway weave project. Here's some more captures from the Massport BOD presentation.

- Note that this project also involves demolishing the old control tower (which is at the midpoint between B&C, to the right of the road) to make way for a direct-connect roadway from B to C, primarily for buses.

-Will also eliminate the corkscrew ramps near the entrance to the B garage, which have always intrigued me because they are totally inscrutable.

- And there are apparently a couple new ground-level entrances to the Central Garage - not clear if this is just for the temporary area during construction, or if there is also an intent to spread out traffic coming into the garages over the long term.

- This seems to leave ( and maybe exacerbate?) a C-E weave issue, which is also bad today. Maybe there's a long term prospect of sending E-bound traffic through the roadway between the garages and then through another grade-separation (to be constructed in the future?)

Also I can't get beyond my suspicion that the geometry of the curb area for C is just fatally flawed (b/c it limits traffic flowing in and out to very narrow throats) and that any long-term solution has to involve either moving some portion of the traffic to the garage footprint permanently, and-or shifting the load to B & E by renaming gates etc...

45247730954_fed04a3b7a_b.jpg

31033290277_efa7ee868b_b.jpg

45247732134_c884f3fdbb_b.jpg

31033290697_1bd2bb8494_b.jpg

45922903592_3a7ee7d37d_b.jpg

Do you know if there are still ATC functions in the old tower? There's still the bridge connecting it to the new tower, but I wonder what the other impact will be.

Creating some new curb space between B2 & C would be nice. Any of that in the plans? (hard to see in what's posted)

Do you know if there are still ATC functions in the old tower? There's still the bridge connecting it to the new tower, but I wonder what the other impact will be.

No - I think the presentation said there is office space in there, which is going to get relocated to somewhere else - but no ATC

Creating some new curb space between B2 & C would be nice. Any of that in the plans? (hard to see in what's posted)

No, not that I can tell. There will probably a perfunctory sidewalk on the ground level, like there is between C&E, but nothing like a drop off / pickup space.

This is another example of Massport working with what they've got - a small footprint. It will be a nice upgrade once it's done in 4 years. Is it perfect? No. But given the space constraints, it should be a nice project.

I read through the entire slide deck yesterday during lunch... and then a little into work that afternoon (2-3 hours total). It's amazing seeing the work going on at Logan Airport and with the rest of Massport. Highly recommend taking the time to watch through.

RE the curb space: Massport acknowledges the symptoms of travelers getting dropped off at the airport and how that impacts number of vehicle trips to/from the airport. They currently celebrate Logan Airport having 30% of passengers arrive by high occupancy vehicles (subway, MBTA bus, silver line, Logan Express, ferry, private coach, private shuttle, hotel shuttle)... that's higher than the share of any major airport in the US. And they've set a goal to increase that to 40% passenger arrival via HOV. That would have a meaningful impact on the demand for curbside space at/between terminals.

Was this posted? Directly relevant to curb space demand + MassPorts parking business model

THE EMERGENCE of app-based ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft has transformed the way business travellers get to and from the airport. And it has also blown a hole in the finances of many airports. Under threat, particularly in North America, is their income from car parks, which makes up two-fifths of non-airline-related revenues across the continent, and car-rental concessions, which brings in a further one-fifth. Revenues from parking are falling short of forecast budgets by 10% or more per year, airport managers say. Many airports at first tried to ban Uber’s and Lyft’s cars from their taxi ranks, but drivers found ways round it, in some cases picking up rides from nearby houses. Now more are allowing Uber and Lyft to use their facilities and are looking at ways to make up the lost revenue from elsewhere.

A new report from LEK Consulting, a consultancy, exposes the impact of these apps on airports. Between 2014 and 2017 the share of American business-travel trips taken with such apps rocketed from 8% to 62%, while those taken in taxis fell from 37% to 8%. Those taken in hired cars also fell, from 55% to 30%. This trend has fundamentally changed the way travellers get to the airport, particularly in major metropolitan areas. At San Francisco’s airport, for example, the share of airport drop-offs using such apps has increased more than sevenfold in the same period, while taxis and the like have lost more than half their market share.

Full article:

https://www.economist.com/gulliver/2018/11/19/airports-have-been-hit-by-the-rise-of-uber-and-lyft

Massport does charge Uber/Lyft $3.50 per pickup. And anyway Logan has a shortage of parking even with Uber/Lyft.

Massport does charge Uber/Lyft $3.50 per pickup. And anyway Logan has a shortage of parking even with Uber/Lyft.

$3.50 is nothing compared to a week of parking at $35.00 a DAY

If Massport does build an automated people mover, do you think that could cause an uptick in those opting to take mass transit? Having a direct link to the Blue Line would be really nice (apart from the shuttle bus). I feel like some people forgo the silver line (maybe because they view it as a glorified bus?) and instead ask for a ride or take an Uber/Lyft, etc.?

At the very least an automated people mover will remove a number of buses and that should help free up roadway space.

$3.50 is nothing compared to a week of parking at $35.00 a DAY

and once you hit 24 hours and 1 second, it jumps to $53. You could conceivably pay an extra $18 for less than 1 minute of parking if you time it wrong.

I feel like some people forgo the silver line (maybe because they view it as a glorified bus?) and instead ask for a ride or take an Uber/Lyft, etc.?

To be fair - it IS a bus. I'm not even sure it's glorified...

Is there any talk of creating dedicated bus lanes for accessing the airport terminals at all?

Is there any talk of creating dedicated bus lanes for accessing the airport terminals at all?

Talk? Heck once this b-c project is done, you'll have close to a full bus circuit on the arrivals level, and something substantial on the departures level too.

The trick is that it's not fully separated from mixedtraffic - and it probably doesn't need to be. Because non-bus traffic doesn't typically stop at more than 1 terminal, that means that the separated lanes that connect adjacent terminals ...a-b, b-c (to be built) and c-e .... are essentially bus-only. And then there are bus-specific drop off zones at each of the terminals themselves.

That leaves merging traffic as the only real traffic-driven delay factor, and that can probably be managed by active stewardship of the curb space. Note also for example that the bus curbs in the new C layout will be intentially aligned with the feeder lanes from b and to e (but not totally walled off from mixed traffic). Same story with E, at least on the arrivals level. (And the feeder to A from harborside drive)

So this model gives you much of the benefit of a totally distinct bus loop, but without the considerable cost of grade-separating a lane all the way around the ring, and especially of creating the curb space to touch that ring without intersecting the general traffic flow.....best to save that for steel wheels

Back