What building would you nominate for replacement

Boston02124

Reaction score
Excluding city hall which building or building's would you like to see torn down or re-skinned if that's the correct term ? I nominate this 17 story building at South Station ,I would think it be a better suited for a public transit oriented residential tower 40 plus stories.

Every West End residential except for the twin Longfellow Towers.

First: all above ground parking garages. We are making great progress with government center, bay bay, garden garage, ect. However, Dalton Street garage and a few others need to go too.

Habor towers. They are beyond ugly, in a super prominent spot on the haborwalk and green way, always seen in the skyline, and have miserable Street interaction. If that isn't bad enough, their resident association is against tearing down the habor garage to build two really cool and visually attractive towers.

Next would be the aquarium or city hall.

Then some buildings around South station. On a different note, the mass eye and ear building you see on the red line coming over the Longfellow is pretty bad too, however, its location makes it OK compared to the harbor towers

I nominate this 17 story building at South Station ,I would think it be a better suited for a public transit oriented residential tower 40 plus stories.

Yea I agree that building sucks. Fortunately, because of it's prime location and also it's relatively short height it wouldn't surprise me if someone does propose tearing it down sooner rather than later.

Remove forever these obvious mortal sins:

The Center Plaza building, the Federal Office building (the one north of City Hall), The O'Neill building, City Hall, the State Service Center, and of course all of Charles River Park.

That would be a good beginning.

I happen to like the JFK Federal Building and think it is one of the few buildings from that era (or error) that is standing the test of time. No, it certainly isn't woven well into the urban fabric, but like the Prudential Tower and the existing Transnational Building at the site of the proposed Winthrop Square Tower, it has a groovy skin. But I have no love for the JFK tower's low rise neighbor.

No one will miss the State Transportation Building.

I happen to like the JFK Federal Building and think it is one of the few buildings from that era (or error) that is standing the test of time. ... But I have no love for the JFK tower's low rise neighbor.
Absolutely agreed. I freaking love the JFK Federal Building (the tower portion) & its lit exposed stair. It's such a bold architectural move to expose an egress stair like that and it works so brilliantly, especially at night. I can't tell you how many times I've nearly fallen down the steps on City Hall Plaza staring at that building.

1. Tremont on the Common
2. Tremont on the Common
3. Tremont on the Common
9846. Tremont on the Common

Remove forever these obvious mortal sins:

The Center Plaza building, the Federal Office building (the one north of City Hall), The O'Neill building, City Hall, the State Service Center, and of course all of Charles River Park.

That would be a good beginning.

Agree with all of this.

Always thought the Hyatt could use to go much taller.

For my selection; the mid-rise office building at the corner of State St. and Atlantic Ave.
It's always in the shot with the Custom House, and it louses up the whole view.

501 Bolyston - New England Mutual Life now "Newbry".

It will never be replaced, we shall be stuck with Ralph Adam Cram's cupola forever. It is the eternal gravestone of his once legendary practice. Maybe the massing and scale was appropriate before the full site build out, images are hard to find and the Back Bay was a very different place.

Now, it's this landscraping granite monolith with the out of scale, cutesy neo-colonial cupola, smack in the middle of an entire city block. The early 2000's rebrand as the "The Newbry" only served to enhance my festering hatred for this building.

Habor towers. They are beyond ugly, in a super prominent spot on the haborwalk and green way, always seen in the skyline, and have miserable Street interaction. If that isn't bad enough, their resident association is against tearing down the habor garage to build two really cool and visually attractive towers.

1. Tremont on the Common
2. Tremont on the Common
3. Tremont on the Common
9846. Tremont on the Common

Since these are both condo buildings, how frequently does one see a condo building of more than 10 units demolished? It seems like it would take quite a premium to buy out any condo building with 50+ owners.

1 Federal as mentioned,100 Summer/re-skinned,tower added, always looked cut off, all of Copley place and I could live with the rest!

Back