⚫ One Marina Park @ Fan Pier | One Marina Park Drive | Seaport

Re: Fan Pier

I am making a conjecture that he is trouble because:

- he has no construction financing lined up (according to that article)

- signed a full-building lease to a firm that has never made a profit and needs government hand-outs to get into the building, kind of a tenant-of-last-resort situation if you ask me

- actually was in serious talks with the FBI about locating here, far cry from the luxury destination of the original vision

- has construction going at a snail's pace to convince the public that this is real (groundbreaking was Sept, '07)

- isn't anywhere close to rolling out the whole "Fan Pier", just this one lonely office box in a landscape of parking lots. Resdiential, marina and hotel is on hold

- Has hinted he needs government money to make the deal with Vertex work

So "in trouble" could mean a lot of things, not necessarily "going bankrupt" or anything like that... but there's warning signs. If One Marina Park Drive doesn't fair well, it could doom the plans for Two Marina Park Drive and the Park Lane 2.0 resdiential.

Fan Pier is hugely disappointing to me on so many levels, and I really hope that everything goes well with this, I'm not throwing bombs just for fun. I do believe a built-out Fan Pier will be a real boon to our city if this can get pulled together and work. But building one squat, lonely office block isn't "Fan Pier" and he's having a tough time with just that. I know the financing markets are hell, and I'm praying he pulls through this and it sets up a domino effect for the rest of the buildings at Fan Pier.

well thought out conjecture. do you know what is going on with Batterywharf. i hear condos are "dead in the water"?

aug. 7th 2008 from 93 north
xxxxxhullseagull2008015.jpg

From the ICA
h010ph2.jpg

h011ov7.jpg

From the windows - the steel has reach ground level
h013dz9.jpg

h014cv8.jpg

Nice progress. I thought they'd be pushing around dirt in that hole for months to come.

Yesterday:

img7894sy1.jpg

img7907lp0.jpg

img7909is6.jpg

img7910ca2.jpg

img7911jh4.jpg

img7912bj2.jpg

img7908lw0.jpg

img7936df9.jpg

One more of the Harborwalk reconstruction down by the ICA:

img7928qh7.jpg

Storm clouds are coming!

img7935az2.jpg

Here's a few camera phone shots from today.
One of these days, I'll remember my real camera and get some from the area on my walks.
2783924807_875193e41c.jpg

2783924759_cc7496efee.jpg

2783924685_10bfa8295e.jpg

I didn't really know where to put this, but I thought that, since this is his most prominent current project, this would be the ideal place.

This isn't really news regarding Fan Pier, but it is an interesting article regarding one of the developers, Joe Fallon. Essentially, it talks about what Fallon has accomplished, and some of the impressive feats that he has managed to take on, including being the one to finally get the Fan Pier project off the ground. Call it a character profile, if you will.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Fallon draws kudos for keeping an even keel

Boston Business Journal - by Robert Celaschi Special to the Journal

A third-generation builder from Milton, Joe Fallon learned construction from the ground up. He started out as a laborer for developer Tom Flatley, going on to become a development manager at JMB Realty Corp. before starting The Fallon Co. in 1993.

Since then Fallon has developed more than $4 billion worth of real estate. Among his projects is the Westin Boston Waterfront Hotel, where he?s scheduled to pick up an award in November on behalf of his company from the Massachusetts chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties. Fallon is a former board member, and still serves on NAIOP?s advisory group.

The likely capstone of Fallon?s career is on the rise now in the form of Fan Pier, 21 acres of parking lot being transformed into 3 million square feet of offices, a hotel, luxury condominiums, a marina and retail space.

What makes the Fan Pier project notable, apart from its size and prominent location, is the fact that Fallon is the one who got it off the ground after a quarter century of stalled efforts by others. He purchased the land in 2005 along with his partner, Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Co., for $115 million. A year ago he started turning dirt. By July this year he had a major tenant, Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc., which signed a letter of intent to lease at least 500,000 square feet and possibly twice that much.

?Joe is a visionary. He is absolutely able to take a look into property and see the future. He clearly saw the future with the Fan Pier. No one could make sense of it, but he was able to put a deal together,? said David Begelfer, CEO of the state NAIOP chapter in Needham.

While the Fan Pier project is a major piece of land, it also ties into another significant aspect of Fallon?s life: water. Among the many boards he has sat on are Sail Boston, the Boston Harbor Association, the Boston Harbor Island Alliance, Save the Harbor/Save the Bay, and the New England Aquarium.

In late August Fallon drove to Newport to take part in a send-off of the Puma team in the Volvo Ocean Race. The Fallon Co. is a sponsor of the team?s boat, Il Mostro, a sleek black-and-red craft designed to look like the Puma sneaker of the same name. Fallon also made sure that when actress Salma Hayek christened Il Mostro in May, the event took place at Fan Pier. The property also will be the only North American stopover during the race in the spring of 2009.

?When he gets involved in a project he always likes to bring to it something that is exciting. That?s really something we?ve seen with Fan Pier. He has the ability to draw attention in a very unique way,? Begelfer said. ?This is something that he knows well and has a great instinct for. He makes things happen. It?s not that you just have a vision, but that you are able to perform.?

At the same time, Fallon himself stays out of the limelight as much as possible, including not being available for interviews for this profile. Those who know him describe Fallon as dogged rather than flashy.

?He just keeps on moving. He doesn?t get overexcited or underexcited,? said Charles Tseckares, CEO of architecture and design firm CBT Childs Bertman Tseckares Inc. ?The ones who really get projects done are the ones who can keep a sense of calm. Everyone is throwing roadblocks at you, and you have to pull up every roadblock. Too many of them get exasperated by the process.

?I think he?s a very thoughtful guy, very strategic in his thinking.?

Fallon also gets credit as a good communicator.

?He?s focused. He doesn?t waste your time. He?s understands well -- not only understands but is able to articulate ? his objectives very well. Those folks trying to support those objectives, the entire development team are able to work effectively,? said David Manfredi of Elkus Manfredi Architects of Boston, the architect who refined the Fan Pier master plan and designed its first office tower. ?He delivers on his promises, and for an architect that makes him a pleasure to work with.?

Real estate development covers a wide range of problems, from the beginning of an idea, to getting the entitlements, to building relationships, to securing the financing, to leasing.

?The individual who has expertise in each of those aspects is rare,? Manfredi said.

LINK

Cool, it can finally be seen from the street.

In the second picture, is that wooden staircase leading up to some sort of observation platform for the construction site? I've never seen that before, a staircase from within the construction walls coming right down to the sidewalk.

Cool, it can finally be seen from the street.

In the second picture, is that wooden staircase leading up to some sort of observation platform for the construction site? I've never seen that before, a staircase from within the construction walls coming right down to the sidewalk.

I think that's how you're supposed to 'find yourself' at Fan Pier.

Tim, yeah they put up an observation platform. Note in my pictures that most of them (such as those midway down the previous page in this thread) are taken from the same vantage point, at the southwest corner of the site and elevated by about a dozen feet.

Pic from May (on page 12):

img5234zi1.jpg

Thanks kz! From an architecture enthusiasts' standpoint, I wish there were more of those.

Looks like I got beat to the punch, but here are some from yesterday.

2842959408_cf65513a38.jpg

2842959346_39319f7046.jpg

2842959278_b03895d815.jpg

2842959236_acee145879.jpg

2842959170_fea2bccbc7.jpg

2842124083_8519f40074.jpg

2842959062_df04d3968b.jpg

From the Moakley Bridge

2842959018_90d81690a8.jpg

And, from the Children's Museum.

Enjoy.

Wow, it's awesome to see steel already rising at the site. I am glad this project is moving along at a good pace.

The steel is also visible from the Mystic/Tobin Bridge.

thats pretty quick i guess. good to see some more construction round here.

I was driving by there today, this thing is rising fast.

Back