⚫ One Marina Park @ Fan Pier | One Marina Park Drive | Seaport

Re: Fan Pier

shadows whats wrong with the shadows ?

ha ha

niiice upside down flag. morons dont know how to put a flag up. ya gotta weight the bottom or something.

The upside down flag is the universal symbol for distress. In considering that, it seems a wholly appropriate emblem for the entire South Boston Waterfront. Maybe the crane operator reads Jane Jacobs.

Wait, so is it too late to get a neighborhood group together to protest this crane?

The flag isn't upside down, it's the just the camera angle

The Flag is fine guys. The field of stars is always displayed to the viewer's top left.

When I rode to the ICA Thursday evening, I had the same reaction: "Why are they flying the flag upside down? And in the rain, too?"

Another crane coming soon
eh001fi3.jpg

And a "new" dock
eh006um0.jpg

Fan Pier lands major biotech -- Cambridge's Vertex

One of Cambridge, Mass.?s largest biotech companies has committed to moving to Boston as the anchor tenant at Fan Pier.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. has signed a letter of intent to lease at least 500,000 square feet ? with the possibility of an additional 500,000 square feet ? in two buildings.

The letter was signed late last week between the Cambridge pharmaceutical company and Fan Pier developer Joseph Fallon.

A lease between Fallon and Vertex would be critical for the controversial waterfront project: Fallon broke ground on the 21-acre waterfront site last summer and has yet to secure a tenant for the development. Multiple biotech industry sources confirmed the deal, although Fallon would not comment. Vertex CEO Joshua Boger could not be reached for comment because he was on vacation.

A move by Vertex would represent a major victory in Boston?s efforts to lure more biotechs within its borders.

A letter of intent is a significant milestone, but funding to help finance Vertex?s move must be finalized. One source familiar with the negotiations said that city and state incentives are likely under discussion. Also, in order for Fallon to secure construction financing he must show lenders he has a letter of intent signed with a tenant.

Another potential complication: Boger was recently appointed as a board member of the Massachusetts Life Sciences Center, which will help enact much of the $1 billion life sciences economic development initiative signed into law in June. Theoretically, Boger would have to recuse himself were the board to consider allocating any of the incentives to Vertex.

Vertex (NASDAQ;VRTX) currently occupies 500,000 square feet of space in half a dozen buildings in Cambridge. Sources said the company would likely move all of its offices to the waterfront location.

Vertex was founded in 1989 in a 10,000-square-foot building in Cambridge which the company still occupies. Vertex currently employs more than 1,150 people worldwide, with 894 in Cambridge.

The company?s fortunes have improved in recent years thanks to the early clinical trial success of its new hepatitis C treatment, which is slated to begin late stage human clinical trials sometime this fall.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/07/28/daily45.html

So Fallon and Vertex are going to come to taxpayers looking for a hand-out?

Please. The hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on the Fan Pier vanity billboards tells me that not a cent of our money should go to this project. Even if Joey and da' mayuh are buddies.

The hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on the Fan Pier vanity billboards tells me that not a cent of our money should go to this project.

Don't forget about the hot air balloon or viewing platform...

So Fallon and Vertex are going to come to taxpayers looking for a hand-out?

yes, but he's a better 'friend' to those in high places, so nobody will cry foul like they did over economic LOANS to Columbus Center.

So help me God, if this developer and this tenant come to the taxpayers asking for our money for Fan Pier at this stage in the game, I will... um... I don't know what I'll do. Probably nothing, this is Boston after all.

Menino probably has another 15-20 years to live and we are going to have to put up with him for that long. It's not like the guy can just retire from politics and make his money on the speaker's circuit, or lecturing. You need to be able to string words together into a sentence to be able to do that. And it's not like he's qualified to actually run anything. Seriously, could he even run an Applebee's? Probably not. City of Boston - sure, that's easy compared to high-stress retail work.

If Joe Fallon and Vertex come with their hands out, and Menino delivers our cash, it would be a vile, vile disgrace. Menino took this project away from Lennar and gave it to his buddy who builds things like Park Lane, saying that Joe had the best chance of getting something done. He didn't add "because I'll give him your tax money to get it done"

but isn't Lennar in financial trouble? Probably just as well they aren't trying to build here.

Lannar is in financial trouble - so is Joe Fallon at this site. Joe can ask his buddy the mayor for some of our taxpayer money, but if Lennar asked, they would be laughed at. This is what has me mad. The double-standard.

I assume that Fan Pier will be asking for life sciences money courtesy of the Commonwealth, not $ from the city.

Why do you say Fallon is in trouble. His money partner is Mass Mutual . they paid all cash, no debt. I assume that bldg in ground has a construction loan, but given that the bldg is still a year plus away until delivery, there shouldn't be any current problems

Back