⚫ One Marina Park @ Fan Pier | One Marina Park Drive | Seaport

Re: Fan Pier

I didn't know where else to post this, but I figure since much of Fan Pier will be a Precast Palace, it makes sense.

This: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=469597 , is The Elysian. It's located in Chicago and it has a precast facade....yet the facade looks great...almost as good as the real thing (meaning real stone). I wish some of the Boston developers would look at the different things they can do with precast since they're so insistent in using the material.

^ That's a nice looking throwback.

img9350zu2.jpg

The ICA looks so lonely in that picture, as if no one even visits it. Nor does it have any architecturally significant friends.

^ Well, it's got plenty of parking.

looks like another crane on the skyline soon !

How many buildings are going up right now? Will they be built one at a time?

Is this going to be a perfectly square glass box about the height of the Moakley?

I know this is asking for trouble, but if they go one building at a time, there's a chance that more changes could be made in the designs of the buildings yet to break ground thus leading to more diversity in the completed project. There's no question this area needs to be developed, but one massive complex of similar looking buildings built at the same time is not an intriguing thought for me.

^ Maybe if they wait long enough between buildings, the prevailing style will change.

Style doesn't matter. A different style of shit is still shit.

Hopefully, with enough time, local attitudes towards city-building will change and we'll get a real urban neighborhood.

^ Maybe if they wait long enough between buildings, the prevailing style will change.

That's what I was thinking. I'm just afraid to think that way because longer waits tend to translate into abandoned projects in Boston. And as Statler said, shit is shit, even if it's different, but my hope (wishful thinking, really) would be that the prevailing style would become something a bit nicer.

Fallon was saying last year that construction on the hotel and residential buildings behind the ICA would start this summer. Not sure if that is still the plan though ...

To clarify some of blatant misconceptions about Fan Pier:

-It will not be a precast palace. The waterfront buildings on the aerial rendering are left-overs from the previous owner's architect. On the contrary, you will see a lot of glass in the project when it's completed.

-It is very much an urban project. The layout is based on an urban street grid with narrow streets and 15' sidewalks. All parking is underground; there is also street parking integrated with street trees. The buildings essentially have 4 front facades with no "service" roads. Almost all the streets are aligned with retail and building entrances. There are two public parks with distinct characteristics. The harborwalk aligns the project and the new marina and the ferry docks will activate the waterfront. If you actually do some real research, you will also find that there is a significant amount of public program in the project.

-The entire project is pursuing LEED certification.

If you actually do some real research, you will also find that there is a significant amount of public program in the project.

Rather than chastise us for not doing real research, why don't you share with the class what you know?

You seem to have a lot of inside information, we are just going off what has been made public.

Spill what you got.

To clarify some of blatant misconceptions about Fan Pier:

-It will not be a precast palace. The waterfront buildings on the aerial rendering are left-overs from the previous owner's architect. On the contrary, you will see a lot of glass in the project when it's completed.

Care to show us some renderings? And why, exactly, does glass mean it is class?

Fan Pier work pushes harbor change forward

By Scott Van Voorhis | Monday, June 9, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Real Estate

Photo by Herald file
After decades of planning, and sometimes crushing setbacks, the vision of a new neighborhood along the waterfront near the Moakley courthouse and Fan Pier is starting to finally take hold.

At Fan Pier, longtime waterfront builder Joe Fallon is pushing ahead with plans for roughly 3 million square feet of new development. He has kicked off work on his first building, a 500,000-square-foot office complex, and is busy planning for new condo and hotel high-rises, retail-lined boulevards and parks.

Across Northern Avenue, John Hynes, another longtime city developer, has filed plans with City Hall for an even more ambitious undertaking, Seaport Square. Like Fallon at Fan Pier, Hynes envisions a neighborhood within a neighborhood that would include a school, civic and cultural space, as well as office high-rises, shops and condos and homes for 5,000 residents.

Hynes - whose Gale Co. is also busy developing a new city in South Korea - has just begun the city review process, but hopes to start work later this year on a couple of smaller condo buildings.

If Hynes? project wins approval as proposed, it would be the largest single development in Boston history.

Meanwhile, a few blocks away, another longtime veteran of the waterfront development scene, John Drew, hopes to start work soon on his long-planned Waterside Place. That $600 million endeavor calls for 425,000 square feet of retail space, 200 condos and 300 hotel rooms.

The new projects join a growing neighborhood that features a battleship-size convention hall and Fidelity Investments? World Trade Center hotel, office and meeting complex. Not to mention other assorted luxury condo and office buildings and a Fort Point warehouse district that has become a nexus for artists and office and condo developers.

?I think it?s in transition,? said Drew of the waterfront. ?It should be all of the above - a city in the city and an extension of the downtown. Both are appropriate and not at odds with each other.

?There is room for everything and all those everythings are able to mesh pretty nicely together,? he added.

As these megaprojects prepare to move forward, it ends a decades-long chapter of sometimes bitter debate over the area?s future.

As early as the 1980s, City Hall began eyeing the development potential of the sprawling surface parking lots and industrial businesses clustered around a few waterfront icons, such as Anthony?s Pier 4 and Jimmy?s Harborside.

But plans to turn Fan Pier into a new neighorhood collapsed in the late 1980s amid legal feuds among the project?s developers. Chicago?s billionaire Pritzker family, owner of the Hyatt chain, took over Fan Pier and started putting their own plans together in the late 1990s.

But the Pritzkers and their development team got bogged down in battles with neighborhood and environmental activists over the project?s size and design. While the Pritzkers eventually won approval to build, the market went south after the 2001 recession.

A few years later the Pritzkers sold the site and its plans to Fallon, a local developer well-versed in city politics.

Fallon has succeeded where others failed, starting construction on Fan Pier?s first building last year.

Meanwhile, the public sector has entered the waterfront development race.

The FBI has been eyeing a site near the convention center for a large, new Boston headquarters. And Mayor Thomas Menino has proposed building a new city hall farther down the waterfront at the city-owned Marine Industrial Park.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1099542

Doesn't excite me. Thanks for proving the courage of your conviction by posting it!

Ah, come on Toby, give the guy a break, compared to Fallon's Park Lane Apartments, these buildings are absolutely stunning! Seriously, if his Fan Pier office, condo's (I really like the residential building), and streetscape look as good as the renderings on the website, the place will be a hit. I do hope that at least one of the office buildings has a restaurant on the top floor to take in the spectactular views of downtown. Lots of glass in this area is a good thing!

Back