⚫ One Marina Park @ Fan Pier | One Marina Park Drive | Seaport

Re: Fan Pier

I don't see much difference between this building and the ones going up in the Fenway on Boylston street. Most people here seem to like/tolerate those buildings, so why the all the hate so far for this one?

Because place needed to be made here, rather than simply maintained or expanded. It demanded a higher standard.

And because it sits in a prominent location. The buildings on Boylston in the Fenway can be functional and utilitarian, because they exist to improve the streetscape, not the skyline. As a waterfront building that will be viewed from afar, there is more pressure for this to be something artistic or sculptural.

I don't see much difference between this building and the ones going up in the Fenway on Boylston street. Most people here seem to like/tolerate those buildings, so why the all the hate so far for this one?

Because place needed to be made here, rather than simply maintained or expanded. It demanded a higher standard.

And because it sits in a prominent location. The buildings on Boylston in the Fenway can be functional and utilitarian, because they exist to improve the streetscape, not the skyline. As a waterfront building that will be viewed from afar, there is more pressure for this to be something artistic or sculptural.

I think it's also because the potential here was so great and so obvious. The whole Seaport was a tabula rasa -- a blank canvas -- and this once-in-a-century opportunity to build a prominent and substantial new district of the city from scratch was blown so horribly.

Today from Northen Ave
211-1.jpg
212.jpg

I'm still trying very hard to love this building, but it's not happening yet.

This building is very BORING. Whoever moves down their will be LONELY

At on time Fan Pier was supposed to be the "crown jewel" of the SBW. I think Boston got slipped a Cubic Zirconium.

im just gonna keep watching the fan pier movie. the picture updates are disappointing (but keep them coming haha)

Best I've seen it look so far, although it may just be the red. I wish they would stop here, and top the rest in brick.

Looks like it'll be ready to be unoccupied by the end of the year. ;)

The glass side is the more attractive side and it was designed that way because it will be facing a large dead space (sorry, I mean 'green space') and the side facing the Financial District is pre-cast cheap ugly because someday a second building is going to go right next to that. With the first building failing so badly, the reality is that the second building is less likely to occur. So the ugly side will be exposed for quite some time.

I heard something interesting from a broker (paraphrasing) "Fallon is selling that building all about the beautiful views and the fact that someday there will be a full complex there... the reality is that if he builds the complex, the views are gone. Your one-time city view is now of another ugly building, and your one-time harbor views are now looking into somebody's apartment. So you almost don't want the complex built out if you lease that space. But, without the complex, it's a stand-alone stump of a building surrounded by parking lots. Damned if you do, damned if you don't"

I like it. It's not exciting architecturally, but it's a puzzle piece that will help the city. It's simple, but I don't think it's ugly. It will look fine when it's complete and will continue to look fine twenty years from now. I'm not sure what people expected here. I'm happy to see one less parking lot in Boston.

^Justin, there were endless opportunities to develop this swath of land into a true, urban Seaport neighborhood. That did not happen. Ablarc has a thread on this topic in the Design a Better Boston section.

I think it would actually look better if they left those elevator cranes going up the side of the building on.

It's depressing to see what was once proposed for this location. Totally wasted opportunity. What was supposed to be the most promising development area in the entire city has turned into The Precast District (maybe that can be the new name of the SBW?).

Back