⚫ One Marina Park @ Fan Pier | One Marina Park Drive | Seaport

Here's the email i got back from the ICA regarding the dock in the rendering in front of the building:

"Dear Jonathan,

The ICA is a tenant of the Fan Pier Development Company which is
planning the build out of Fan Pier including the marina. Even so the
ICA has registered its concern about the one specific boat slip you
noticed in the site line of the Mediatheque and its implications for the
architectural integrity of the museum. The new Fan Pier developments
will go through many review processes and we will continue to pursue an
appropriate solution. I appreciate your close observations and interest.

Sincerely,

Carrie

Carrie Fitzsimmons
Chief of Staff/Director of Administration"

So it seems like they're on top of it. It'll be interesting to see how it works out.

amateurs

That problem with the boat slip was evident long before the building was even started. I could never figure out why they raved about the view from that window when all the plans showed the boat slip. I've felt from day one that everyone was "blinded by the hype" with this building. The lack of experience of the architects is pretty obvious.

To clarify ...

Wait, what does she mean, "we are a tenant" ...

Who owns the land on which the ICA is built? Who owns the building, for that matter?

That problem with the boat slip was evident long before the building was even started. I could never figure out why they raved about the view from that window when all the plans showed the boat slip.

Obviously they felt that plans shown in distant renderings can be changed, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Also, it's clear that they thought the architecture of their building was more important than the dock of some rich man's boat, which I completely agree with. Seeing all the hype around this building, Menino and Boston are clearly gonna support the view from the Mediatheque over the placement of the slip. The architects knew they had that power, and so went ahead with their design, and the city ended up with a much better building IMO.

Re: To clarify ...

JimboJones said:
Wait, what does she mean, "we are a tenant" ...

Who owns the land on which the ICA is built? Who owns the building, for that matter?

I believe the land was donated, which probably means that ICA was given the land for a nominal fee (like $1) to have in perpetuity for as long as ICA is located there, but if ICA were to close or move, the land is not theirs to sell.

ICA built and owns the building.

An observation. I think the Pritzker approvals mandated the Harborwalk feature that appears in the renderings from the courthouse eastward. I also believe the Pritzker approved plans called for a marina near where it is. I'm not sure whether the approvals dictated that there be a maritime component to the site, which would be filled by the marina. That said, the little pier jutting right out from the ICA could probably be sunk, but I suspect there will be some sort of marina.

What the renderings do not show is Drew's plans for Pier 4, and how these might impact the ICA view.
1182493679_0539.gif

Graphic courtesy of Boston Globe.

Separate question. I recall one of the financing issues with developing Fan Pier was the claim that all the infrastructure and below ground parking for the entire site had to be constructed before one got to build any buildings. Is Fallon going this route, or is he intending to do the utilities and below ground parking piecemeal?

I doubt whatever happens at Pier 4 would kill the Mediatheque view from the ICA...unless it begins to hook to the west.

He is going to do underground garage and utilities piecemail.

Fan Pier - Fort Point Channel

This article covers both Fan Pier and Fort Point Channel ... heck, the entire Seaport District, too.

All 100-acres.

ON an empty stretch along the South Boston waterfront, hundreds of guests and dignitaries gathered in late September to celebrate the groundbreaking for Fan Pier, a 21-acre, $3 billion mixed-use development. If you squinted just right, you could almost imagine a vibrant neighborhood of parks, residences, hotels, office buildings and shops rising from the barren landscape there.

A photographic rendering of the planned Fan Pier project (in the foreground left, with the Boston skyline in the background).

For those who have long envisioned a revitalized Seaport District, as the area is known, the groundbreaking marked the end of a decades-long saga filled with almost as many dashed hopes as there have been in Fenway Park across town.

The area ? roughly 1,000 acres of waterfront property across the Fort Point Channel from Boston?s financial district ? served as rail yards for Boston?s working port until about 1955, when heavy industry there dried up. After that, the land was used mostly for parking lots, which have passed through the hands of prominent businessmen including Nicholas Pritzker, the chairman of the Hyatt Development Corporation; Frank H. McCourt Jr., the owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers; and Rupert Murdoch, the chairman of the News Corporation.

As market conditions waxed and waned, this prime waterfront real estate sat untouched, earning it the reputation as the most scenic parking lot in Boston. ?A lot of folks had hopes for 25 years,? said Thomas M. Menino, the mayor of Boston. With the start of construction of Fan Pier, he said, ?that dream has become a reality.?

A confluence of factors has created a more favorable environment for developers. Access to the area has improved with the new Ted Williams Tunnel connecting the Seaport District to Logan International Airport across the harbor, the extension of the Massachusetts Turnpike and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority?s new electric bus line, the Silver Line.

Other high-profile developments have brought visitors and a sense of excitement to the area. The Institute of Contemporary Art, the cantilevered glass museum designed by Diller Scofidio & Renfro, opened last December on the Fan Pier property, and the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center has been drawing thousands of conventioneers since it opened in 2004.

Fan Pier, a curved stretch of land and piers between the Moakley United States Courthouse and the Institute of Contemporary Art, will eventually include three office buildings, a luxury hotel, more than a million square feet of residential buildings, more than 300,000 square feet of street-level retail and restaurant space, a six-acre deep-water marina and four and a half acres of public park.

It is just one of several development projects planned or under consideration in the Seaport District. Since 2000, more than 8 million square feet has been developed in the area, and an additional 20 million is under construction, approved or proposed, according to the Boston Redevelopment Authority, the city?s planning and economic development agency.

The agency is reviewing plans submitted in June by Gale International, a real estate and investment company based in New York, for Seaport Square, on a 24-acre parcel behind Fan Pier. Gale, along with Morgan Stanley, bought the land from the News Corporation in September 2006 for $204 million. (The News Corporation had acquired the property in the sale of the Dodgers to Mr. McCourt, after he failed in a bid to buy the Boston Red Sox and build a new stadium for it on the property.) Gale?s plan envisions 6.5 million square feet of office, residential, retail and park space, including a school, cultural center and shops. If approved by the redevelopment authority, construction on the $3 billion project could start in the fall of 2008.

Next to Seaport Square is Waterside Place, an 11-acre parcel across from the convention center. The Drew Company of Boston has permission to develop a mixed-use retail, hotel and condominium complex totaling more than 1.2 million square feet.

New England Development, a real estate development and management company, eventually plans to build a one-million-square-foot mixed-use project on 9.5 acres along Pier 4. The site abuts Fan Pier and is owned by the Athanas family, which has had a restaurant there, Anthony?s Pier 4, for four decades.

Farther down the waterfront is Harborside Pier, a new development by Cresset Development that will feature retail and outdoor dining facilities, including a new Jimmy?s Harborside restaurant. The nearby Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel, a $145 million project developed by Marriott International, is slated to open in January 2008.

The neighborhood rising in the Seaport District is expected to be one of the nation?s ?greenest.? Earlier this year, the city of Boston amended its zoning code to require all private development projects of more than 50,000 square feet to be ?LEED certifiable,? meaning they meet minimum standards of the United States Green Building Council?s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design rating system. Many developers plan to go beyond that.

Fan Pier illustrates the Seaport District?s potential. ?It?s a unique opportunity,? said Joseph F. Fallon, president and chief executive of the Fallon Company, which is developing the site. ?We?re creating a new neighborhood.? The plans call for extensive use of glass in the buildings to maximize views of the harbor and to better harmonize with structures like the Institute of Contemporary Art and the convention center.

The Fallon Company ? along with its financial partners, Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance and Cornerstone Real Estate Advisors ? bought the land from the Pritzker family in 2005, for $115 million. (The Pritzkers, based in Chicago, had been partners with the original owner, Anthony Athanas, who first proposed developing the waterfront area in the 1980s. The Pritzkers won control in the 1990s after a bitter legal battle with the Athanas family.)

FAN PIER is based on a plan developed by the Pritzker family, which, after an arduous process, won approval in 2000 from the city and community groups that had lobbied for more parkland.

?It was a very good compromise,? said Vivien Li, the executive director of the Boston Harbor Association, a waterfront advocacy group. The resulting development, she said, will be ?a gem on the waterfront.?

The first building to rise will be One Fan Pier Boulevard, an 18-story office building designed by Elkus/Manfredi Architects of Boston that is being built on speculation. Mr. Fallon believes that the combination of location and eventual LEED certification will be attractive to tenants ? especially given that 80 percent of the city?s office buildings are more than 25 years old, he said. ?In this location, there is not as much risk as you would think,? he said. ?We?ve had a lot of interest.? One Fan Pier is expected to open by early 2010.

Mr. Fallon, an avid sailor and boater, clearly relishes the idea of a world-class marina in Boston that can accommodate anything from small boats to yachts of more than 200 feet.. ?They?ll be lined up just like in Monte Carlo,? he said.
Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/r...ce&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin

From Empty Lots to Bustling Waterfront - By Amy Cortese, New York Times, October 7

Does anyone know what happened to World Trade Center South, the office building proposed by Fidelity years ago?

Re: Fan Pier

^^^^^^^^^^

Because Boston is Boston and NYC is NYC! I read the same article/slideshow this morning as well and thought the same thing. Height matters...both in Boston and NYC, the major difference being that in Boston, lower is better and in NYC, taller is better. Also, the FAA has already put it's foot down on anything tall in the Seaport District. If this sort of project were ever proposed in Boston it would be shot down so quickly it would make head's spin. Just look at the proposals for the Pru or what happened at Columbus Center for examples. Hysterical neighbors and community groups up in arms screaming shadows, winds, traffic, sunlight, views, air quality...the list goes on and on. Even in high rise areas, proposals for height are opposed.

has anyone been down to the site lately? is construction really started or was the groundbreaking party in September just for show?

There's a fairly good chunk of land along Northern Av. that has been cordoned off with some bulldozers on site. Most of the parking lot is still open though.

I was at the parking lot yesterday and didn't really notice anything, but then again I wasn't looking too hard either.

Wondering if the tourists in the Fan Pier area hotels and tradeshow attendees at the BEC or the World Trade Center would want to be next to Bio/Pharma Labs?

Then again -- I wonder if the Middlesex County judges and associated attorneys know that they are right next to a really big tank of really band stuff {e.g. Arsine gas ? as in kill thousands if the wind is blowing your way} at the Skyworkx Gallium Arsenide semiconductor fab on Sylvan Road in Woburn

Hmmm -- I wonder if I've got a new career as technical advisor to NIMBYs ? no ? no ? no ? {a thousand times no} --- perish the thought

Just -- having some fun on Boxing Day --- with a bit of extra Christmas Cheer thrown in

Westy

I wonder if I'v got a new career as technical advisor to NIMBYs -- no perish the thought

Having fun on Boxing Day with a bit of extra Christmas Cheer}

Westy

yeah drove by today looks like they still allow people to park there and there seems to be a lot of steel being put into the ground.

I was going to go take pictures today but ran out of time.
Maybe tomorrow. . . .

Took These Around 3PM from the Observation Deck at 470 Atlantic Avenue
Picture008.jpg

Picture006.jpg

I guess this means goodbye to the cobblestone and rail tracks

Back