đź”· Open Thread

I've been in there. On one hand, I think it is awesome and adds something to the shopping experience. On the other hand, its only interesting because Home Depot is usually a warehouse. If you go there all the time, it becomes "normal" and the novelty wears off.

I guess it is the tremendous amount of money any business stands to make in Manhattan that frees this creative spark in companies that are normally deliberately bland and uniform. It must have cost 10 times more money to design and layout that store than a typical one.

Hope someone can help - I've had no luck searching on the forum. Maybe one or two years back we were discussing a tabula rasa urban template where developers built from scratch on small lots and someone provided an example of a town that did this - I believe, possibly in Scandinavia. Anybody know?

A lot of interesting stuff in this thread, including some good observations from you. Alas, all of ablarc's great and informative photos have been taken down. Am I in the ballpark?

Thanks BB - right ballbark, but didn't find what I came for. Hard to describe this one... somewhere in Scandinavia where I new town sprung up on small lots where developers - usually the homeowners - could build whatever they wanted on the footprint.

Anyway. Good to go over those old threads again. Wonderful quote from ablarc:

ablarc said:
Though Modernism as a style has been somewhat tempered by Postmodernism, its false principles are now enshrined in government policy and even law. The BRA will give you an FAR bonus if you assemble a large building site. It would make more sense to give the bonus to someone willing to tackle the inefficiency of building on a small lot.

I recall the discussion, Shep. Indeed, the Scandinavian town aspect makes me think I may have been the one who posted the link/article. I wanna find it for you, so I'll keep digging...

ANNOUNCED TODAY: buy a bunch of white bricks for only $150!

nh2y.png

They really should have put a clause in the bill that required all movies made in Boston to be a hit. So short sighted.

[/sarcasm]

It failed because it wasn't about how badass Boston's white trash is! They're so tough and gangstery and shit...YOU MAKE A FACKIN MOVIE IN OWAH TOWN, IT BETTAH BE ABOUT US!!!

It has to the the stupidest movie idea since Weekend at Bernie's II. Someone should have figured that out.

Edit: In its first weekend Weekend at Bernie's II actually outperformed RIPD in relation to its budget by a considerable margin.

Hey man, Weekend at Bernie's II was AWESOME. Or so my 10-year-old self thought circa 1992.

Who decides to shoot a movie in fucking Raynham???

tumblr_mgfrlsbbxq1s0u2cxo1_500.png

Assistant: Wow! Look at that ad! All right, this place must be hot. They don't need a big ad, or even correct spelling.

Man 1: I agree with that logic.

Assistant: [into intercom] Get me two plane tickets to the state that Raynham is in.

Movies about crime in South Boston were cool ... until there was crime in South Boston.

In incredibly unimportant news, I have arrived in Boston! After five years, I have returned. Permanently.

Let's get some beers?

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=152153

Well this sucks. RR.net's preeminent Boston streetcar historian, Boston Police historian, and BSRA member Paul (a.k.a. "3rdRail") Joyce, just died. Don't know if it was sudden or if he'd been ill...he was posting up untill last week.

That guy was awesome. Vivid storyteller about old dirty Boston in general, and could relate a transit observation with humor and humanity when it tends to get overly dry and wonky. Pure enthusiasm. And one of the few heavies around there who wouldn't jump down a newbie's throat for asking a simple question. He was one of the reasons I sussed up and joined that terrorscape 9 years ago...and one of the reasons I stuck it out there at times when the suffocating moderation was getting to be no fun at all.

Don't think anyone needs to ask the rhetorical question whether he'd be fun to have a beer with...there's a thread on there from last year compiling the list of every single bar that had ever been in business running the entire length of the Washington St. El. And he had photographic memory of them all from his cop days.

That is sad to hear. I didn't really know him but I did meet him once, briefly, at the BSRA meeting I attended.

Damn, he was a really nice guy and a massive asset to the community. While I never participated, the quiz thread was one of the most entertaining aspects of that site thanks to him, and his knowledge of history pretty much unmatched. One could write a novel based off his rr.net posts alone.

Back