đź”· Open Thread

9249044916_33e93d28dc_c.jpg

Even if northeast HSR ever gets built, I hope they continue to run some Regionals by the old Shoreline; it's the highlight of the trip.

I'm pretty sure Amtrak said they are keeping the Coastal route , there also adding an Inland Regional and a few other lines. These lines along with the regional rail will feed the HSR cities...

Do you think it's their highlight of their trip to the beach though? =/

*Non-railfans

There are almost always a bunch of people who wave at the train when it goes by. And its been there for longer then anyone in that pic, or their grandmother, would remember. That and new haven are my favorite parts of the trip.

Also, pretty cool to see all the rr.net usernames showing up here =)

Kingston, Westerly, New London, and Old Saybrook are all pretty good ridership draws and will continue to get regional service. I would expect the current frequencies - Regionals every hour or two all day - to stay constant; even as more trains get drawn to any possible inland routing, Shore Line ridership will presumably continue to rise.

Yeah. They need all of the above. It's the East Coast megalopolis and the I-95 corridor. Thousands of people per day need to get between the Shoreline towns and Providence/Boston/NYC/DC/etc. I could see re-routing the Acela inland because that's a terminal city-to-terminal city run and New London's the only loss (and not a big first-class traveler market vs. a Regionals market). But the Shoreline Regionals patronage is going to keep going up and up and up and up forever.

The NEC growth strategy is very much multi-branch Regionals on the primary branchlines like the Virginia spokes and the Inlands to cover all the major permutations. I've said before I even think the Eastern CT HSR bypass has a Worcester market in addition to a Providence market that would--almost inevitably--merit forking a portion of the schedule at Plainfield up an upgraded P&W in addition to full-blast Providence expresses. Such that there's basically 4 Amtrak routings carving up Southern New England: Providence-Boston via the traditional Shoreline, Providence-Boston via the Eastern CT express bypass, traditional Springfield-Worcester Inland Regionals, and Eastern CT-Worcester quasi-expresses via the HSR route and an L-shaped fork. Divvying up the schedule %'s by route accordingly by demand.

The megalopolis is just that big and demand just that untapped by truly competitive car-free transportation options.

Hi all! I need resources for the history of Boston Common and the buildings around it. I'll be digging around locally where I can, but does anyone have any suggestions for resources, especially online?

Will Wut Went Wong be heading up the South Korean Board of Inquiry?

this is probably offensive, but HILARIOUS

It is indeed hilarious. One of my Asian friends at AE used to have a nametag he made that said his name was "Woo Ping Kofe."

Anyway - The NTSB has said that the person who "verified/provided" such information was a "summer intern that went beyond his authority." Really dumb kid to throw away an internship/networking with the NTSB.

My guess is that the poor kid at the NTSB: 1) gets a dumbass call from the TV station, and upon hearing the names (that any 6 year old could figure out) 2) he/she thinks it is an attempted prank on him/her and 3) says: "Yeah, right".

Thus, TV station has "solid confirmation" from the NTSB "official" (i.e. intern receptionist who answers phones) in another hard hitting investigation.

Anyone else notice the new lights on the Pru? Looks like they replaced the old bulbs with LEDs.

Quick PSA: my band is playing the Outside The Box festival at city hall plaza tonight at 8..... sorry I know this isn't much of a heads-up but if you're around downtown tonight I encourage you to come by! It's free, the sun will be down and we'll be rocking out for a whole hour! Huzzah!!

Here's the scene as of 9 am this morning. Gosh my drums are purdy!

9312654721_9ba820608e_b.jpg

Prudential Center is officially ugly! Time to re-clad that shit! Is re-cladding expensive?

It's easy when you build one inside an historic cast iron building. But honestly it's still just a Home Depot, nothing special.

Geeze, deliveries at that Home Depot must be a pain in the ass.

It's easy when you build one inside an historic cast iron building. But honestly it's still just a Home Depot, nothing special.

That's true, but you never really see big box retailers actually working with a space like this. The fact they were even interested in a cast iron building with floorplates as they are is significant.

Back