đź”· Open Thread

I think he'd be happier if Columbia Rd linked up his necklace with the South Boston beaches/parks/waterfront. The road really sucks as is, and could use a redesign. Hmmm....

LOL I almost mentioned that exact point. His only regret would be that his Necklace connection back to the Ocean was never realized.

Great minds think alike, my friend.

Rochester's Inner Loop is the most absurd thing I've ever seen. What is the point of a radial highway with a diameter so small? It's literally choking to city to death from the looks of it.

broom.png

!!!

Wow that's great. We'll have a chance to prove ourselves as an international host and it could open up some nice opportunities in the future.

Boston joins Washington, D.C., Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Los Angeles and Colorado Springs as other US cities that have hosted. The last US to host was Los Angeles back in 2009.

Boston will also host the 2014 US Figure Skating Championships.

That's amazing. I wonder the bidding was good-natured or spiteful.

^ugh

On a much more interesting note, I found that the city's Archives has a Tumblr. Take a look through it. It's a treasure trove of some really interesting stuff, including old skyline shots:

tumblr_mooyk66R901rrufk0o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnvcvudhcP1rrufk0o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mmshxixyz31rrufk0o1_500.jpg

Prudential Tower, Fall 1962
tumblr_mlnqtahqfy1rrufk0o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mleh63TsJn1rrufk0o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mk0hmeKWDl1rrufk0o1_500.jpg

Middle-aged white dudes really need to stop doing that.

Watched a rerun of Banacek from 1971. The opening has nice Boston skyline footage (and Banacek driving a tasty Packard Darrin convertible.)

It confirms my sneaking suspicion that the skyline was MORE dramatic 40 years ago because it didn't look like today's buzz cut.

Speaking of buzz cuts, I was entertaining a friend at a Marina Bay (Quincy) restaurant so got to see things from the outside. Based on the view across the harbor the "Seaport" should be renamed the "Flattop District".

Banacek was important for Boston. It presented Boston to the world as a "hip" place to live. The second unit photography was very flattering.

IAM taksin PICTURa off development oPPrtUnyyties. while oLe unsLe spender time mit der badLADys

hen0.jpg

Back