đź”· Open Thread

Some HAVAC work was going on in my building today:

29vin6.jpg

Seriously, do people not read things they type?! We got a good kick out of this, given that we are a MEP firm.

Last edited:
Wentworth Institute, producing shitty engineers for 100 years, but gosh darn it, we can spell good.

Has anyone else noticed the decals for Enterprise Rentals on the fare machines at North Station? They have the skyline with Transnational Place on them. The 1,000-foot version. It looked nice.

Wentworth Institute, producing shitty engineers for 100 years, but gosh darn it, we can spell good.

??? Huh? This has nothing to do with Wentworth. The Wentworth of the past is not the Wentworth of today either. We have alumni working on the WTC (project manager), numerous people at iRobot, Cisco, Google, etc.

This note is from the building staff of the building I work in.

Boston.com, breaking news, just a few minutes ago: BSO names Andris Nelson as new music director

The guy's name is Andris Nelsons, not Andris Nelson, a seemingly minor point but the fact is, people make mistakes as you pointed out yesterday when one such person sloppily typed HAVAC. I guess the amusement I found in it was a guy who as his background shows, is not all that acting as if he's perfect(in which case he might have gone to MIT or CalTech).

So my band is playing Earthfest this Saturday......anybody thinking of going? The lineup kinda sucks (what's with all the '90s leftovers?) but it's free and it's at a great venue, the Hatch Shell. We go on at 2:05 PM sharp!

ef_launch.jpg

I might be going there with my friends so I'll see you there.

Random question- I'm looking to move out of my apartment in Brighton in the fall to somewhere closer to Northeastern, and one area that's come up is Mission Hill- what I've heard regarding the area is that anything on the E line itself is totally fine, but don't go that far off of it. Does this sound about right? (For reference I'm a 22-year old woman who would probably be living alone)

So my band is playing Earthfest this Saturday......anybody thinking of going? The lineup kinda sucks (what's with all the '90s leftovers?) but it's free and it's at a great venue, the Hatch Shell. We go on at 2:05 PM sharp!

ef_launch.jpg

Wow, that was a bunch of fun - kz, your band was awesome live.

Fd99yIv.jpg

c6mfw0J.jpg

QRi60HC.jpg

IGkLMCp.jpg

mECTY4M.jpg

9kzUCzY.jpg

Hey man, glad you enjoyed! Couldn't have asked for a better day or location or crowd. Oh and nice pics!

There's little old me behind my drums...

And a few pics from right before we played:

8752056348_e070f8981a_b.jpg

Hands down one of the best stage views I've experienced:

8752057358_0212431f22_b.jpg

And Vertical Horizon waiting to take the stage:

8752058064_7c873e3dd6_b.jpg

Last edited:
There's little old me behind my drums...

I liked how that photo came out.

I went to talk to you at the signing area, didn't see you at the table, so I didn't wait in the (pretty long, which is awesome for you guys) line.

Yeah that photo is awesome. And sorry I didn't make it out to the merch table in time....one of the burdens of being the drummer is that I have the most shit to pack up once the show's over, and by the time I was done with that and got myself a cup of coffee (we had to be there at 8 AM which me no like) the line had died down considerably.

But if you ever want to come out to another one of our shows let me know and I'll put you and whoever on the guess list. And then we'll be sure to meet and chat it up.

There's a female on our forum?! Perish the though, perish the thought... surely you jest? These lands haven't seen a woman in eons!

Anyway... I would say anywhere on the E Line is fine during daylight. The only sketchy area might depend on where you are on Mission Hill after dark. The closer you are to Jackson Square, the sketchier it is.

Speaking of which, I'm going to be moving to right where the E Line bends from Huntington onto South Huntington this fall, and I'm confused as to what to call that neighborhood......is it JP? Fenway? Brookline? It seems to be one of those areas that falls through the cracks and is neither here nor there. In the meantime I've just been referring to it as Riverway since that sounds nice.

Edge of Mission Hill.

Giving up on Oak Square?

For the record, my gf used to live a few blocks down from Heath St on S Huntington and was fine.

Pretty sure it's considered part of Mission Hill, with Heath St. being the diving line between it and JP.

Alright, Mission Hill it is then, though I still like the sound of Riverway more.

And yes I'm giving up on Oak Square*. I've been out here for 5 years and I need a real change of pace if I'm going to stay in Boston. Oak Square is pleasant but boring (everything's closed by 11) and I should've moved sooner.

*Of course by giving up on I mean my landlord is kicking us out so he can do a gut reno on the place and jack up the rents.

Last edited:
Surprised you stayed out there in Oak Sq so long.

Brigham Circle is looking better these days from what I remember of a few years ago. More restaurants, and even the neat little Green T cafe is open until 3 a.m.

Alright, Mission Hill it is then, though I still like the sound of Riverway more.

And yes I'm giving up on Oak Square*. I've been out here for 5 years and I need a real change of pace if I'm going to stay in Boston. Oak Square is pleasant but boring (everything's closed by 11) and I should've moved sooner.

*Of course by giving up on I mean my landlord is kicking us out so he can do a gut reno on the place and jack up the rents.

I would call it Riverway. I also lived on the fringe of what is technically "Mission Hill" (on the "Boston" side, the line is Huntington) and avoided calling it Mission Hill around people like the plague. You instantly get a gasp and a concern for your safety whenever you say you live in Roxbury Crossing/Mission Hill.

Back