đź”· Open Thread

You are correct that we need to draw or beat Germany to advance (and they need to do the same so this will be all out war), but tonight's game proved why soccer is called the beautiful game. That was the best 45 minutes of soccer in this World Cup. I'm primarily a Germany fan and am dying for another star on my DFB trikot, but the way the US played this game against Portugal might have just won my heart back. The US played like they really freaking wanted it. It was a stellar performance and one that was certainly not predicted for a monster like Portugal. If they play the same way against Germany, then team USA deserves the win against Germany.

Why don't you like soccer? Is it because of the way the outcome unfolded? That's how it sounds from your post. It is the greatest sport in the world because of the fact that everything can change in an instant from a single tactical play.

Tim Howard was definitely the man of the match. Amazing saves, especially on rebounds. That's where he really shines. He kept this game from being a high scorer by Portugal.

Last edited:
Why don't you like soccer? Is it because of the way the outcome unfolded? That's how it sounds from your post. It is the greatest sport in the world because of the fact that everything can change in an instant from a single tactical play.

I hate the fact that the clock runs constantly and runs up instead of down, I hate that the amount of stoppage time is a big mystery until the clock hits 90 minutes, I hate that stoppage time ends whenever the ref feels like ending it, I hate that stoppage during stoppage time doesn't result in a stoppage time adjustment, I hate that you only get three substitutions, and I hate that a tie is a possible outcome in any stage of tournament play. Seriously, I think I was more angry about the fact that the game ended in a last-second tie than I would have been if we'd gotten blown out or shut out.

I'm also kind of really let down every time there's a GOOOOOOOOOOAL and it's not accompanied by a goal horn, but that's a weird problem I have and has nothing to do with the game itself.

Actually, the US can lose Thursday and still have a decent chance of advancing. If Portugal/Ghana draw, US advances. If Germany beats the US by one goal and Ghana beats Portugal by one goal, the US advances. If Portugal beats Ghana they would need to either do so by a lot of goals or would need Germany to beat the US by a lot of goals.

Basically, if the games are close, the US can lose and still advance.

There are surely a number of sites out there that will give a clearer explanation than my rambling.

Actually, the US can lose Thursday and still have a decent chance of advancing. If Portugal/Ghana draw, US advances. If Germany beats the US by one goal and Ghana beats Portugal by one goal, the US advances. If Portugal beats Ghana they would need to either do so by a lot of goals or would need Germany to beat the US by a lot of goals.

Basically, if the games are close, the US can lose and still advance.

There are surely a number of sites out there that will give a clearer explanation than my rambling.

Good point about the lose scenarios. Essentially the only things that can't happen are Germany blows out us and Ghana blows out Portugal.

This happened to pop up on my feed this morning with a full rundown of all the crazy tie-breaking scenarios: http://www.today.com/news/world-cup...d-now-1D79840226?cid=social_20140623_26503856

The Americans would have advanced if not for that game-tying goal. But the next round is still in sight, even though the U.S. is in the super-talented Group G, nicknamed the "Group of Death." Here's how:

• If the U.S. ties or beats Germany in its next game on Thursday at noon, the Americans advance to the knockout round.
  • If the U.S. loses to Germany, there still is a chance to advance, depending on the outcome of the game between Ghana and Portugal. Root for Portugal, America: Ghana is in a better position to win a tie-breaker against the U.S. to advance, especially if Ghana beats Portugal by two or more goals. If the U.S. and Ghana have the same goal differential after three games, then the next tiebreaker comes down to which team scored the most total goals in its World Cup games. If they are still tied after that, the U.S. wins the next tiebreaker because it beat Ghana head to head.
  • If the U.S. loses and Ghana and Portugal tie, the U.S. will advance. If Portugal wins, the U.S. most likely will win the tiebreaker against Portugal based on goal differential unless the U.S. loses badly to Germany.

I hate the fact that the clock runs constantly and runs up instead of down, I hate that the amount of stoppage time is a big mystery until the clock hits 90 minutes, I hate that stoppage time ends whenever the ref feels like ending it, I hate that stoppage during stoppage time doesn't result in a stoppage time adjustment, I hate that you only get three substitutions, and I hate that a tie is a possible outcome in any stage of tournament play. Seriously, I think I was more angry about the fact that the game ended in a last-second tie than I would have been if we'd gotten blown out or shut out.

I'm also kind of really let down every time there's a GOOOOOOOOOOAL and it's not accompanied by a goal horn, but that's a weird problem I have and has nothing to do with the game itself.

I'm not a soccer apologist by any means. if anything, i'm a total pink hat that really only pays attention during the world cup. I can watch Costa Rica play Japan but don't really watch Man U vs. Liverpool. That being said, Sounds like your issues aren't with the game play just minor rule adjustments. I think the substitutions is like the pitcher hitting in the NL, it forces strategy. The other things, like stoppage time and the clock going up (baseball goes from inning one 1 to 9, where it arbitrarily ends), seem minor grievances if you like the gameplay.

Interesting fact I learned from Taylor Twellman last night:

The stoppage time was set at 4' until the Zusi sub. When the official saw Zusi walking slowly, he added a minute increasing the stoppage to 5'. If Zusi hadn't walked slowly, then the game would have ended at the 94'.

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/480871079968505856

Last edited:
The matrix to end all matrices:

H4Puy7I.png

via Reddit

Sports psychologist predicted Luis Suárez would bite again

From last April’s story:

“It’s in the man,” he says. “I would think that in five years’ time if there was a certain nerve hit or chord rung with Suarez in a different situation he would react in the same way.”

Unfortunately for Suárez, the heightened emotions of high-level sports bring this problem out. From Fawcett, who studied the Ivanovic incident:

“It’s not pre-planned – it’s a very spontaneous, emotional response. He’s doing it on impulse,” says the psychologist, who has studied the footage extensively.

Most often biting is a sign of frustration. A negative response when tensions reach boiling point, he says.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/24/suarez-bite-2014-world-cup

I wore my Trikot under my polo all day (including to a meeting with architects in the morning) haha. The sleeves kept slipping out because they are longer than the polo sleeves so I had to keep tucking them back in/rolling them up. I also hung my scarf on my cube's wall today.

Just noticed you're in Central fattony... did you watch GER v FRA at The Field? I was in the projector room in the back at the table of 8.

I wore my Trikot under my polo all day (including to a meeting with architects in the morning) haha. The sleeves kept slipping out because they are longer than the polo sleeves so I had to keep tucking them back in/rolling them up. I also hung my scarf on my cube's wall today.

Just noticed you're in Central fattony... did you watch GER v FRA at The Field? I was in the projector room in the back at the table of 8.

No, I watched that one at home. I will most likely be at Tavern in the Square on Sunday for the Final. I don't have the patience for the mobs of people at the Field or Phoenix and TITS has good TVs in every direction.

No, I watched that one at home. I will most likely be at Tavern in the Square on Sunday for the Final. I don't have the patience for the mobs of people at the Field or Phoenix and TITS has good TVs in every direction.

It was a ton of fun. It ended up being pretty evenly split with France fans in the bar room and the Germany fans in the back room. We settled on The Field because even though we called the day before, Jacob Wirth had already booked solid.

Back