đź”· Open Thread

Probably no overlap. Different corporate entities. Plus redevelopment authorities have the discretion to sell properties without the elaborate procurement and disposition processes that municipalities must follow.

If its in tax title, push the city to run it through Land Court foreclosure and put it up for a tax title auction.

Or make an offer! Might push the city to do a 30B:16 solicitation.

The Globe is running a series on the Koch Brothers. This article was buried in it.

It's about a proposal to bring a "trackless trolley" (a BRT?) to Nashville. (The mayor behind it was a native of Gardner, MA.)

The route was drawn to go through several different neighborhoods, of different income levels (and races / ethnicities). Opposition was, apparently, fierce, and the project has been canceled.

“We don’t want the riff-raff of East Nashville in our neighborhood," said one woman.

Favorite quote:

Rick Williams, the owner of Nashville Limousine Service for 15 years, also was aghast. He couldn’t believe it when he heard that taxpayer money would be used for the Amp.

“Is it my job to use tax money contributed by everybody to help a certain segment out, to say, you don’t want a car and responsibility of owning a car, or car insurance, is it my job to make transportation easier for you?” Williams said. He became chairman of a group he called “Stop Amp,” but said he figured the project was a done deal.

A city’s immovable roadblock
Nashville’s ambitious new bus line seemed to have a green light — until the GOP-led Legislature, with help from the Koch brothers, stepped in.
By Michael Kranish, Boston Globe

Yes Mr. Williams it is because I pay taxes to make it easier for you to drive. It is only fair.

Trends that can't die fast enough:

IMG_0470.JPG

Too many friends/family are buying it reflexively not because they like it, but because they've been reprogrammed by marketers to think Labor Day through Black Friday is "pumpkin crap" season and this is just what one is supposed to do as an obedient consumer during officially-designated pumpkin crap season.

"Here, have some pumpkin crap flavored ____; I got it especially for this time of year" is now so customary I'm almost finding myself shamed out of saying, "Nah, I'll just have some regular crap if you don't mind." Which gets my contrarian side developing a moderate annoyance with/at pumpkin crap, even though objectively I wish it no specific harm.

I just can't remember the last seasonal fad that went from novelty to "____ crap season" so quickly.

Is there a thread for Framingham? I guess I'll put this here.
Apparently Framingham has passed zoning changes to support Transit Oriented Development and closing gaps in the downtown streetscape in the area around its train station. These seem to be passed with like 90% approval and only one passing note over concern about parking. This seems like a big deal to me. Given its location and train frequency, this ought to enable some great projects if they play their cards right.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/article/20151022/news/151028437

Is there a thread for Framingham? I guess I'll put this here.
Apparently Framingham has passed zoning changes to support Transit Oriented Development and closing gaps in the downtown streetscape in the area around its train station. These seem to be passed with like 90% approval and only one passing note over concern about parking. This seems like a big deal to me. Given its location and train frequency, this ought to enable some great projects if they play their cards right.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/article/20151022/news/151028437

I'll believe the Framingham Board of Selectmen pulled the crayon out of their brains when they produce the crayon coated in brainmatter for public viewing.

Those guys are high achievers at snatching defeat from the jaws of 'revitalization' victory for the most asinine and petty reasons possible. Those empty parcels, the failed redev of the GM plant for a hybrid car R&D facility that got voted down, and the closed south/ex-autorack rail yard that CSX relocated to Central MA after the town tried to impose earlier quiet hours on switching activity are all testament to that. The latter two decisions easily cost them 1000 in-town jobs in just the last 10 years.

Good on them if they can do something, but proof needs to be provided in triplicate with the rep that Board has earned for itself.

Yancey and "monorail" Murphy bounced from the Council. Linehan runs unopposed in District 2 and somehow gets 10% write-ins against him and 42% of D2 voters that cast votes yesterday leaving their district race blank as no-votes and only checking off for the at-large races.

They need to replace the gavel with a sad trombone.

Anyone have any good examples of recent, contextual, small infill developments in classic triple-decker neighborhoods?

@Bigman312
I'm pretty sure there's a whole thread about them in Southie. Not sure what the title is though. You might try doing some searches.

Right, but I guess I'm wondering if anyone has a recent residential development that they are particular fond of, that is:

• On a typical triple decker (or similar) lot
  • In a classic triple decker (similar) neighborhood

I'm wondering if there are any that are actually small and contextual in that setting. If so, pick your favorite!

Spotlight is a fantastic film that all forum members owe it to themselves to watch. It is the most Boston film I've ever seen--more than Good Will Hunting, Ted, or any Ben Affleck-directed film.

Right, but I guess I'm wondering if anyone has a recent residential development that they are particular fond of, that is:

• On a typical triple decker (or similar) lot
  • In a classic triple decker (similar) neighborhood

I'm wondering if there are any that are actually small and contextual in that setting. If so, pick your favorite!

I had a bunch lined up and then lost the post. tl;dr most of what is built on triple decker lots like that tries very hard to mimic the neighbors. After a couple years of aging it becomes very hard to tell a new-build from a renovated genuine triple decker at a glance.

The first contemporary building in a triple decker neighborhood that comes to mind is this one in Roxbury.

Back