🔷 Open Thread

Lrfox

Reaction score
^*shudders* - you're not alone now that I've scrolled through the pictures, but I can't imagine anything good.

I'm pretty sure I saw that one on Zillow Gone Wild on Instagram. Lots of interesting entries to browse (including some relatively local ones).

kmp1284

Reaction score

Neon

Reaction score
I enjoy these videos of drives around major cities/regions. This is the latest one of Boston.

cats10000

Reaction score
Does anyone know about The All-Tunnel plan for the big dig.
It was proposed by Steve kaiser and is mentioned on page 333 of Inventing the Charles river.
It also appears to be mentioned on the Wikipedia article for the big dig.
The nature of the Charles River crossing had been a source of major controversy throughout the design phase of the project. Many environmental advocates preferred a river crossing entirely in tunnels, but this, along with 27 other plans, was rejected as too costly. Finally, with a deadline looming to begin construction on a separate project that would connect the Tobin Bridge to the Charles River crossing, Salvucci overrode the objections and chose a variant of the plan known as "Scheme Z". This plan was considered to be reasonably cost-effective, but had the drawback of requiring highway ramps stacked up as high as 100 feet (30 m) immediately adjacent to the Charles River.[32]

Last edited:

Scott

Reaction score
When proposed, the Zakim was referred to as the "Son of Scheme Z" in the local media. However an all tunnel plan never got as much consideration as the article seems to imply.