🔷 Open Thread

^*shudders* - you're not alone now that I've scrolled through the pictures, but I can't imagine anything good.

I'm pretty sure I saw that one on Zillow Gone Wild on Instagram. Lots of interesting entries to browse (including some relatively local ones).

Very sad :( Was this at Winthrop?

High Street near International Place/Greenway. I assume utility work of some kind.

Does anyone know about The All-Tunnel plan for the big dig.
It was proposed by Steve kaiser and is mentioned on page 333 of Inventing the Charles river.
It also appears to be mentioned on the Wikipedia article for the big dig.
The nature of the Charles River crossing had been a source of major controversy throughout the design phase of the project. Many environmental advocates preferred a river crossing entirely in tunnels, but this, along with 27 other plans, was rejected as too costly. Finally, with a deadline looming to begin construction on a separate project that would connect the Tobin Bridge to the Charles River crossing, Salvucci overrode the objections and chose a variant of the plan known as "Scheme Z". This plan was considered to be reasonably cost-effective, but had the drawback of requiring highway ramps stacked up as high as 100 feet (30 m) immediately adjacent to the Charles River.[32]

Last edited:
When proposed, the Zakim was referred to as the "Son of Scheme Z" in the local media. However an all tunnel plan never got as much consideration as the article seems to imply.

Reminds me of advice once given by the then Speaker of the House: “If you can’t be good, be quick.”

Reminds me of advice once given by the then Speaker of the House: “If you can’t be good, be quick.”

Crayon in a few extra elevators in that thing and he'll be calling a fully on-brand press conference for "Penn Station Transportation Improvements" in time for the 10:00 news.

Randomly, here's a piece of vaporwave that uses (at least some of) a photo of the Back Bay in it's album art.

Luxury Elite is THE SHIT. Yooooo I'm a huge fan of vaporwave and I've been making it under the alias Honolulu Blue or ホノルル B L U E for over five years now. Assuming you like this bizarre genre and weren't just drawn to that video for the album art, I'd strongly suggest you check out my stuff

Also it should be noted I kinda went hog wild on the vaporwave theme in my apartment I just moved into. Oh did I mention I like vaporwave?

51135121659_ae88ee7aaa_b.jpg

51134562058_4686e04210_b.jpg

Last edited:
That's good stuff! I'm not too deep into vaporwave but it's fun to explore when I'm in a particular mood.

And that apartment is very A E S T H E T I C. The Encarta CD makes it for me.

I'm glad you noticed the Encarta CD! I'm most proud of my neon MTV sign, but nailing that old CD-ROM to the wall right over the TV has to get second place. I just love that stupid fun vaporwave aesthetic 😁

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20-Greenleaf-Dr-Danvers-MA-01923/56911177_zpid/ Best Zillow description ever.

"This house is being sold as is. I just sold four houses and am not showing this house. Too many look-y-loos.

So no showings, no inspections, just cash deal. That's how I buy most of my houses--usually sight unseen (I'm buying one right now in California without ever having been to the town).

You can probably build an add on as this lot is a double lot, compared to all other homes in neighborhood. Value: This house cost $130,000 to build --in 1962, when most of Danvers sold for under $20,000. The land (double lot) value isn't included in the original building cost--so $130,000 plus the double lot on sanctuary in the Prep neighborhood. Fact: I paid $579,000 in 2006 and then invested another $130,000 into it for basic upgrades. Since 2006, home values in Danvers have doubled. So my logic then is my purchase price plus upgrades ran me $700,000. Therefore, 1.4 million for the house on one lot. Second lot value is approx $400,000. So selling price is $1.8 Million. Second lot must go with main house. There are numerous intangibles. House is located on sanctuary (previously owned by this house), the street is a loop--so off tertiary road, and located in the St. John's Prep neighborhood.

This house won't be shown. I bought it sight unseen 15 years ago. You can do the same. So then, a cash deal. No showings, no inspections, etc. The appraisal will come in between $675-$800,000--that's because the appraisers refuse to do their job--appraise. They only compare my house to other homes in the neighborhood. They don't take into account that this house cost $130,000 to build on it's own double lot in 1962 --when all the other homes on the same street cost about $25-$30,000, to include the land.

So I need you to extrapolate the true value of this property. Appraisers haven't been trained to appraise this house--Just a fact. So, if interested, do a drive by but don't knock. Contact me only with your full offers. Thx for reading, but pls understand, I'm not interested in financing, discounting, innumerable showings or appraisals. Just make your decision."

Seems like a steal...

Back