🔷 Open Thread

Bananarama

Reaction score
Is there a way to mute certain sections of the forums (not just individual threads)?

No disrespect meant at all, but I just don't care about developments in Portland Maine. Would be cool to be able to filter that out if possible.

kz1000ps

Reaction score
Way back in 1991 the old radio station WFNX was turning 8 years old and they threw a birthday bash with some up-and-coming bands with names like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and a whole bunch of other bands. No idea what club this MTV footage is from

donkeybutlers

Reaction score
Way back in 1991 the old radio station WFNX was turning 8 years old and they threw a birthday bash with some up-and-coming bands with names like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and a whole bunch of other bands. No idea what club this MTV footage is from

RIP WFNX.

iHeart media (formerly Clear Channel)'s monopolization of the airwaves is sad and has been a blow for local music scenes across the country.

kz1000ps

Reaction score
RIP WFNX.

iHeart media (formerly Clear Channel)'s monopolization of the airwaves is sad and has been a blow for local music scenes across the country.
I know this firsthand. My band was up and coming 10ish years ago and they put a couple of our songs into medium-heavy rotation in 2012, like right before they switched formats, and they were huge in pushing our band up the showbiz ladder.

And just in case you were listening to FNX in 2012, you would almost certainly recognize this song by my band

statler

Reaction score
Nothing that most everyone here didn't already know, but still a kind of cool video.

Blackbird

Reaction score
The hole that FNX left is still present in local radio. 92.5 is kinda, sorta the only thing like it left. I don't know why we need 3 classic rock stations (plus 100.1 out in Worcester) but have nothing that's true modern alternative. Guess I'm just old now.
WERS not play stuff from that genre?

Scott

Reaction score
I listen to all the different college stations when I want to hear something new but there is no full time old school station like 'FNX. There is no full time jazz station in Boston either

donkeybutlers

Reaction score
WERS not play stuff from that genre?
Some overlap definitely but WERS is more adult contemporary of all genres leaning slightly indie, where as FNX was a rock station with a focus on alternative and indie rock. WERS has church music on the weekend lol. 92.9 also has some overlap but is much more on the dad rock-classic rock spectrum and plays almost nothing contemporary.

WERS is the main station on my dial now actually, partly because 92.5 reception sucks around me (I do like it more) but I mostly listen to music I already have in the car now (playlists and albums). I also got a lot more in to other genres, which the end of FNX probably encouraged tbh, like hip-hop, jazz, electronic, etc and curating my own mixes is often more satisfying at this point.

A Jazz-Blues continuum station in Boston would be great to have. The radio as is feels like kinda a wasteland and a new real station (not clear channel marketing and algorithms) for really any genre that took it seriously, was involved in shows, and tied to local music press like WFNX was would be a great addition. Local hip-hop artists could certainly use a station that wasn't focused almost exclusively on top 40 hits and backed local artists.

Last edited:

Scott

Reaction score
"Local hip-hop artists could certainly use a station that wasn't focused almost exclusively on top 40 hits and backed local artists"

That station used to be WILD in Dorchester

squidman1

Reaction score
Found a motherlode of old Hancock Tower photos and plans from a 1970s magazine. I'll upload the photos over time, which include 26 photos of lobbies, cafeterias, offices, and the observatory. Plans include the lobby, the lower concourse level (never knew that existed), dining spaces, an office plan, and my personal favorite, a floor plan for the observation deck.

squidman1

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 5.20.41 PM.png

Even more 1970s lobby photos. These are from Page Arbitrio & Resen, the environmental graphic designer for the building's spaces.

(Totally random bonus shot, but this same studio also happened to do the graphics for the OG 7 WTC in NYC, one of my favorite buildings of the 1980s.)

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 5.23.11 PM.png