đź”· Open Thread

Is there a way to mute certain sections of the forums (not just individual threads)?

No disrespect meant at all, but I just don't care about developments in Portland Maine. Would be cool to be able to filter that out if possible.

Way back in 1991 the old radio station WFNX was turning 8 years old and they threw a birthday bash with some up-and-coming bands with names like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and a whole bunch of other bands. No idea what club this MTV footage is from

Way back in 1991 the old radio station WFNX was turning 8 years old and they threw a birthday bash with some up-and-coming bands with names like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and a whole bunch of other bands. No idea what club this MTV footage is from

RIP WFNX.

iHeart media (formerly Clear Channel)'s monopolization of the airwaves is sad and has been a blow for local music scenes across the country.

RIP WFNX.

iHeart media (formerly Clear Channel)'s monopolization of the airwaves is sad and has been a blow for local music scenes across the country.

I know this firsthand. My band was up and coming 10ish years ago and they put a couple of our songs into medium-heavy rotation in 2012, like right before they switched formats, and they were huge in pushing our band up the showbiz ladder.

And just in case you were listening to FNX in 2012, you would almost certainly recognize this song by my band

Nothing that most everyone here didn't already know, but still a kind of cool video.

The hole that FNX left is still present in local radio. 92.5 is kinda, sorta the only thing like it left. I don't know why we need 3 classic rock stations (plus 100.1 out in Worcester) but have nothing that's true modern alternative. Guess I'm just old now.

WERS not play stuff from that genre?

I listen to all the different college stations when I want to hear something new but there is no full time old school station like 'FNX. There is no full time jazz station in Boston either

WERS not play stuff from that genre?
Some overlap definitely but WERS is more adult contemporary of all genres leaning slightly indie, where as FNX was a rock station with a focus on alternative and indie rock. WERS has church music on the weekend lol. 92.9 also has some overlap but is much more on the dad rock-classic rock spectrum and plays almost nothing contemporary.

WERS is the main station on my dial now actually, partly because 92.5 reception sucks around me (I do like it more) but I mostly listen to music I already have in the car now (playlists and albums). I also got a lot more in to other genres, which the end of FNX probably encouraged tbh, like hip-hop, jazz, electronic, etc and curating my own mixes is often more satisfying at this point.

A Jazz-Blues continuum station in Boston would be great to have. The radio as is feels like kinda a wasteland and a new real station (not clear channel marketing and algorithms) for really any genre that took it seriously, was involved in shows, and tied to local music press like WFNX was would be a great addition. Local hip-hop artists could certainly use a station that wasn't focused almost exclusively on top 40 hits and backed local artists.

Last edited:
Found a motherlode of old Hancock Tower photos and plans from a 1970s magazine. I'll upload the photos over time, which include 26 photos of lobbies, cafeterias, offices, and the observatory. Plans include the lobby, the lower concourse level (never knew that existed), dining spaces, an office plan, and my personal favorite, a floor plan for the observation deck.

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 5.20.41 PM.png

Even more 1970s lobby photos. These are from Page Arbitrio & Resen, the environmental graphic designer for the building's spaces.

(Totally random bonus shot, but this same studio also happened to do the graphics for the OG 7 WTC in NYC, one of my favorite buildings of the 1980s.)

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 5.23.11 PM.png

While researching the history of Chelsea station, I've come across an interesting mystery.

Maps up to 1914, like this 1911 Sanborn map, show the station building up against the tracks. That is consistent with this photo. the only photo of the station I know to exist.. However, this 1955 map shows a station building up against Heard Street, at a slight angle to the tracks.

The apartment building currently at that location (16 Heard Street) is listed in the assessor's database as being built in 1920. It matches the shape shown on the 1955 map, and appears to be visible in a 1938 aerial image as well. This leaves three possibilities in my mind:
  • The original station building was replaced or relocated along Heard Street (likely in 1920), but that structure was later demolished and replaced with the current apartment block. This would imply an error in the assessor's database. (The database does list a 12/04/1984 sale for $0, which is odd.)
  • The original station building was demolished in 1920 and replaced with the 16 Heard Street building, which then served as the station until 1958.
  • The original station building was moved slightly to Heard Street in 1920, and still exists as 16 Heard Street. My only reason for suspecting this is that the current building and the original station appear to have similar massing and rooflines.
I've sent emails to the B&M RR Historical Society and the Chelsea Historical Commission. If anyone has any clues, I'm greatly appreciative.

This couldn't have been a dream. I could've sworn that Google Maps/Earth recently added more comprehensive street views (i.e parks, the Prudential courtyards), but they randomly vanished after that. Anyone else seen those?

This couldn't have been a dream. I could've sworn that Google Maps/Earth recently added more comprehensive street views (i.e parks, the Prudential courtyards), but they randomly vanished after that. Anyone else seen those?

Not sure about street views, but a couple of months back google maps added new satellite photos. They're there on the google maps app and were there on desktop google maps for about a week, but seem to have vanished from the desktop version since.

Back