đź”· Open Thread

I just saw that too!
I didn't have time to walk down there.
Hopefully something will be up at Boston.com soon.

You have to give those vengeful British credit for being persistent.

The Globe said:
BOSTON[/b] frik'n Globe][...blah, blah, blah]
After his wrestling career began dwindling in the 1990s, Leslie bounced between jobs for a while before settling at the Metro Boston Transit Authority. ??I was stuck in a tollboth in Chinatown with the prostitutes and the bums and the rats,?? he says. ??You cannot imagine the filth I had to endure.?? He lived in his father-in-law?s attic to save money, he says, and hated the MBTA.
[blah, blah, blah...]

Link

Who the hell are they getting to write these stories? Does anyone from this paper live in Boston?

The Coast Guard says a man picked an unusual place to take a dip this morning: the middle of Boston Harbor near Rowes Wharf downtown.

Someone reported at about 9:15 a.m. that the man had jumped from the wharf and was swimming north toward the federal courthouse, the Coast Guard said in a statement.
Link

Have I been holding my map upside down this whole time?

venecia2.jpg

The absolute absolute worst place to be in the entire city of Boston at 4:45 PM is the JP Licks on Centre Street.

It is a f-ing absolute nightmare. Nightmare. Children. Dogs. Just about every obnoxious person in the entire city can be found here.

FYI.

Yes it is just wrong Jimbo, children should never be allowed in an ice cream parlor. :rolleyes:

It's true. The 'pink hat' syndrome has spread to the world of design:

ermes.jpg

Yes, that is a pink Eames Lounge Chair.

And evidently it is "HOT!"

I'm not sure I know anyone fabulous enough to sit in that chair. Maybe my friend Isabella...

Do they make one in cordovan? That's how I roll.

I know we have a thread for stuff like this somewhere, but I couldn't find it, so here you go:

Boston.com - August 28, 2008
Is the B-Side Lounge closing?
Posted by Devra First August 28, 2008 12:26 PM

Yes, according to Chowhound and the Herald. Both sources say that Daniel Lanigan of Amherst's Moan and Dove and Northampton's Dirty Truth is taking over the space and opening a beer bar.

A phone call with a B-Side staffer who declined to reveal his name shed no light on the matter. At this point, he said, it's all rumors, and the staff is getting very upset about all the people calling to ask if their place of employ is closing. Understandable, if coy.

Other inconclusive evidence (read: gossip imparted by a bouncer) points to a closure in the next few months.

The rumors began swirling in June, after writer Andy Crouch mentioned Lanigan's plans to open a Boston beer bar on BeerScribe. He wrote:

"Daniel Lanigan, proprietor of the Moan & Dove of Amherst and the Dirty Truth of Northampton, has long wanted to return to the Boston market and open his own place. A former worker at the under-appreciated Other Side Cafe in Boston?s Copley/Mass. Ave. district, Lanigan loved the location. For a few months, he was in negotiations to either purchase or take over the Other Side Cafe and transform it into his third beer bar. The deal fell through early this Spring and Lanigan wasted no time in looking for a new spot. The rumors report now, entirely unconfirmed by this presently lazy reporter, is that Daniel is in negotiations to open his third bar across the river in Cambridge. While I won?t report the name of the rumored takeover target (because I can?t confirm it and because people would likely riot if they knew, how?s that for a tease?), the spot, if it works out, is centrally located (no pun or hint intended).

"UPDATE: The location is confirmed and a deal is underway. At the request of Lanigan, I?m still deciding whether to post the name of the place. News of the deal is now the worst kept secret in the gossipy world of the Boston foodie scene as it has gotten back to me through four different sources at this point. In any event, you?ll learn the name soon enough."

If the rumors are true, it's bad news for fans of the cocktail. The B-Side is one of the best local places to sample concoctions vintage and newly invented. (I had a brief but meaningful relationship with their Sidecar, but had to move on because there were too many other worthy cocktails to sample. And their Bloody Mary got many of my Sundays off to a slow and pleasurable start.) It's good news for beer lovers, however, who otherwise had to trek an entire half-mile farther to find a good beer bar -- the nearby Bukowski Tavern.

OK, OK -- the cocktail crowd does have Green Street less than a mile away. But with No. 9 Park doing away with its cafe menu, if the B-Side closes, the landscape of places to get an excellent cocktail and something to eat without breaking the bank will look quite different.

Of course, Barbara Lynch's Drink is opening soon. The cocktail is dead, long live the cocktail.

Toby has been slacking lately. Yesterday it was the Rolex Vintage Festival at Lime Rock Park in the Connecticut Berkshires (www.limerock.com).

L1090962.jpg

The setting is pretty.

L1090930.jpg

One can wander pit row.

L1090968.jpg

Most of the owners are friendly.

L1090925.jpg

Toby likes Lagondas.

L1090926.jpg

Toby isn't sure what Briggs Cunningham had in mind when he created the 1939 Bu-Merc. The 1963 Corvette Grand Sport is a different matter. It is the only Corvette that Toby has seen that could corner.

L1090934.jpg

Hey watch out Old Grey Mare! A blue French baby carriage is after you!

L1090949.jpg

Merde! Italian heavy metal enters the fray.

L1090954.jpg

Gracious piloto of 34 Alfa P3 signals driver of 35 Alfa Tipo C to pass.

L1090951.jpg

The Tipo C is a pig to steer.

L1090965.jpg

Pork. The other red meat.

L1090963.jpg

American heavy metal.

L1090960.jpg

Isn't this thing supposed to have wings and a propeller?

Last edited:
Excellent! Do you attend any of the Jaguar Club events?

I used to have a 52 Jaguar Mark 7MC, four speed, C Type head, big sand cast SU carbs. The interior was shot, so I binned it to save weight. The car was a load of laughs, like driving a high speed bowl of gelatine. It was fun running down a Mini on a straight, but the little pestoids would always escape in the corners.

JANE (Jaguar Association of New England) holds a good show, used to be in August. Since I sent the MK7 on its way I haven't been to the show in, oh, 10 or 12 years.

Do they ever crash? Wouldn't it be a shame to lose one of the world's smallish stock of vintage Bugattis?

Back