đź”· Open Thread

Boston Architecture News Writer

Date: 2011-12-06, 3:38PM EST
Reply to: job-jgyah-2739388534@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Multi-City urban planning and architecture online magazine needs students or new professionals in architecture, urban planning, public admin., or public relations to write weekly summaries of projects and events for magazine. Periodic attendance at planning commission, community group, or business district organization meetings encouraged but not required. Social media savvy a plus. Non-compensated but terrific opportunity to network, gain access and recognition in spare time in high exposure role. You will receive credits in website along side nationally known architects and planners. Additionally, our news contributors often receive press access to various events, which otherwise charge for entry. Applicants please write letter describing your interest, education, career path, and social media skills/aptitude. Resume optional but appreciated. Please identify the city for the ad to which you are responding.

• Compensation: None but excellent exposure & networking
  • Telecommuting is ok.
  • This is a part-time job.
  • This is a contract job.
  • This is an internship job
  • OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

PostingID: 2739388534

Boston Architecture News Writer

So they'll help a social media guru to network? And also to gain access to public meetings? All in exchange for actual work? Where do I sign up?!?!

Just saw this on Twitter:

Did you hear there's a libertarian version of Kickstarter? Same idea, but when you get the money, you don't admit anyone helped you.

That's part of the Steve Jobs/Bill Gates school of copying other peoples' technology and repackaging it with slicker marketing or subterfuge.

Anyone else step back and realize the good amount of development going on in Boston in these shitty economic times? Very impressive and a good sign that so many people out there see a future in this city.

[/random]

You've come to the wrong place. This here site is for complaining and grumbling only.

Take yer hippy-dippy love-fest shit elsewhere.

Anyone else step back and realize the good amount of development going on in Boston in these shitty economic times? Very impressive and a good sign that so many people out there see a future in this city.

[/random]

Boston didn't suffer that much during the entire thing. Our unemployment rates are consistently well below average and there weren't that many construction projects actually lost due to the recession here either. It was all due to corruption from developers and the local government. We're a biotech and knowledge powerhouse and that is where the money is and that is where we are seeing a lot of development. It's also great that Liberty Mutual has finally decided to up their HQ size with the new tower as well. There are (and have been) so many things going for this city. Development is exploding all over the place. We can only hope that the Copley Place tower has broken the ice for the future development of 500+ footers.

Traffic fatalities are down to an all-time low in New York City, lowest since records were first kept, in 1910.

A hundred years ago, accidents were caused by horses, streetcars, and automobiles. Children playing in the street were a major cause of fatalities.

On one tragic day in May, a Brooklyn lawyer was arrested for hitting a 16-year-old. The boy was fine, and the lawyer offered to drive him home, but during that ride he struck and killed a 6-year-old girl playing with other children in the streets. The lawyer was arrested again and this time charged with homicide.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2011/12/evolution-traffic-fatalities-new-york/741/

Have people been reading Curbed Boston? I visited a couple times when it first dropped but haven't been back, turned off by what I thought was the overly cutesy/trying-too-hard tone of the main writer. Also, being a regular reader of Curbed LA and NY, I must say the news coming out of Boston seemed a bit dull by comparison.

So have you guys warmed up to it? Should I give it a second chance?

I follow it on my RSS feed but only read what grabs me so I guess I haven't noticed the writing style. It's that whole snarky Gawker writing style that is far too prevalent online these days. It's a good idea for a site but they have to have the content to back it up and a lot of the business model for the Curbed network is advertising homes/apartments. Reading it on an RSS reader blocks all that out (Google Reader 4 lyfe).

A lot of it, for me anyway, is how I consume my news. I've always come here for Boston related arch/urban news but I preferred Curbed over Wired NY (not really sure why?).

The word "suburb" didn't even exist back then, in the late '40s and early '50s.

What? The word appears in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. Also in Measure For Measure. And Twelfth Night.

In the comments of that article, someone points out that the Chevy Suburban station wagon dates back to the 1930s.

Have people been reading Curbed Boston? I visited a couple times when it first dropped but haven't been back, turned off by what I thought was the overly cutesy/trying-too-hard tone of the main writer. Also, being a regular reader of Curbed LA and NY, I must say the news coming out of Boston seemed a bit dull by comparison.

So have you guys warmed up to it? Should I give it a second chance?

I was turned off when they kept saying 500 Atlantic ave was part of downtown crossing.

I was hopeful that I'd be given the gig to write Boston Curbed but was never approached. The trouble with Boston is, there isn't a hell of a lot of news that comes out and new developments are few and far between. NY, LA, and SF are large enough to warrant daily updates. Curbed includes news about metro Boston, too, which helps build out the pages but is of limited interest to those of us interested only in Boston-Cambridge development.

Boston Curbed is written by someone locally, but not someone who lives in Boston, from what I gather, and by someone who hasn't lived here full-time for the past several years. Without a base of knowledge, it's hard to provide a worthy read, and, as you point out, harder still to be snarky. Snarky is built on the "We know better than everyone else" model.

I have it on my Twitter feed and I have found over the past week to ten days that I've clicked through more than once a day, which is a good sign. Mostly, however, they retread stories you find elsewhere in the Boston-news sphere. Read Universal Hub, this board, Boston.com and the BRA news feed and you're pretty much up to date.

The Curbed network is basically just an aggregate with snarky coments. It's a good way to have all the news you need in one place but if you have options then it isn't that necessary.

I actually applied to write for Curbed NY but didn't hear back after sending in some samples.

Back