🔷 Open Thread

I've got a bunch of these super-high-res map files, including the one in the above post. I posted a thread about them back in 2006, and included a link to an uploaded zip file containing them. That link is dead now, but if people are interested I think I can dig them up and re-host them.

tzFPI.jpg

Just wanted to announce that I may marry Revit at City Hall tomorrow. The toposurface from CAD integration is just too awesome. That would have taken me hours to 'smoove' with SketchUp. 10 seconds of processing and I have a full, accurate, 3D topo model of Jamaica Pond. <3

Just wanted to announce that I may marry Revit at City Hall tomorrow. The toposurface from CAD integration is just too awesome. That would have taken me hours to 'smoove' with SketchUp. 10 seconds of processing and I have a full, accurate, 3D topo model of Jamaica Pond. <3

I don't think you can marry software yet, even in Massachusetts.

She's all fun and games until she crashes anyways and when Revit crashes, it crashes hard.

Moving Day
2ecqP.jpg

Changing apartments in New York City is an ordeal today, but it’s a great improvement over the old system, when every lease in the city expired at 9 a.m. on May 1 and thousands of people moved to new lodgings simultaneously. Davy Crockett witnessed the spectacle during a visit in 1834:

By the time we returned down Broadway, it seemed to me that the city was flying before some awful calamity. ‘Why,’ said I, ‘Colonel, what under heaven is the matter? Everyone appears to be pitching out their furniture, and packing it off.’ He laughed, and said this was the general ‘moving day.’ Such a sight nobody ever saw unless it was in this same city. It seemed a kind of frolic, as if they were changing houses just for fun. Every street was crowded with carts, drays, and people. So the world goes. It would take a good deal to get me out of my log-house; but here, I understand, many persons ‘move’ every year.

The tradition ran from colonial times until World War II, when a shortage of men finally ended it. That’s more than a century, an oddly long run for such an unpopular practice. “There may be some doubt as to whether landlords make out leases to suit the habits of the people, or whether the habits are a result of the leases,” journalist Luke Grant had written in 1909, “but there is no doubt that the custom imposes hardships on every one concerned.”

Source

All I want to do is send a simple letter to Canada... how much is it... can I just drop it in a box or do I have to go to the PO?

Speaking of PO... how much does it cost to get a PO box?

I don't see any place where it says that. As for the post office boxes, those vary by size and location so you'll have to phone or visit your local post office.

You can just go to any branch and tell them "I want to send this letter to Canada." They'll put the correct stamps on it and charge you whatever it costs. Seriously, people even do this to mail domestically (it's really weird and a waste of time, but w/e).

I sent a letter to Canada earlier this week. What datadyne said. They weighed the envelope and then printed a big barcoded "stamp" with the calculated postage written on it ($1.08).

Terrible, awful, catastrophic news from Tokyo.

https://twitter.com/#!/TheTokyoForum/status/95796960245714945

This is the world's largest city, and for something like this to happen is terrible. I know people there, including forum members, who are now leaving. There are two places in Japan - Tokyo and Not Tokyo - so for them to move to Osaka or Fukuoka is life-changing and culture-shattering as I am told that there is a huge difference between being in Tokyo and being in another smaller city.

Terrible, awful, catastrophic news from Tokyo.

https://twitter.com/#!/TheTokyoForum/status/95796960245714945

This is the world's largest city, and for something like this to happen is terrible. I know people there, including forum members, who are now leaving. There are two places in Japan - Tokyo and Not Tokyo - so for them to move to Osaka or Fukuoka is life-changing and culture-shattering as I am told that there is a huge difference between being in Tokyo and being in another smaller city.

What would be causing Tokyo to be more radioactive than Fukuoka?

What would be causing Tokyo to be more radioactive than Fukuoka?

Radiation, mercury, who the hell knows what else, and Anchor Babies that drift over with the Gobi sands from Chai-Na Land each year? Just a guess as to what they might be thinking over there.

There's a guy on our forum who lives in Tokyo, and hostss a podcast about Tokyo. His name is Joe (can't tell you his surname here but he might) and hes been over there for close to 35 years. Ask him.

Big FoW fan, statler. They're the best parts of Simon & Garfunkle and The Ramones.

Alas, the fascists at YouTube have taken the video down.

Back