đź”· Open Thread

The second one is an extension of the proposed-but-never-built Brighton Branch Railroad. Proposed in 1870 as a privately-financed branch line because Brighton Center residents regretted forcing the Boston & Worcester to the northern fringes of Brighton in the 1830s. Original plans called for a short loop from Allston station to Brighton Center and maybe Oak Square, rejoining the mainline no further west than Newton [Corner]. (That routing is shown faintly on this map.) This seems to be a modified plan extending it through Newton Lower Falls to Grantville (Wellesley Hills).

How are people changing usernames? I'd like to shorten mine

DM Ed. He's the only one who can do it. I'd been wanting to change mine for years but couldn't get in touch with Briv.

The first shaker was at about 8:16. Then the 7.1 quake hit at 8:19, followed by yet another (5.4) shaker a few minutes later. I was on a hike near Griffith Park Observatory heading back to the car. It was significantly stronger than Thursday's quake. Seemed to last maybe 40 or 45 seconds... just kept going and going and going and going.

I actually got dizzy. It is a type of bizarre shaking action that has a full disorienting effect.

I was at UCSD in La Jolla for the Whittier Narrows blast in 1987. That was about 108 miles away.-- but still a remarkable shaker there. So i've been in 3 out of the 4 big quakes in Southern California since the San Fernando Valley quake in '71.

I was in Hackensack, NJ when the Virginia Quake hit. Crazy timing, yo.

Thread Expired

Last edited:
^I was very impressed by the KC rally today.

Kind of anemic today on City Hall Plaza, likely because the city is still empty.

From the Mayor's Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/MartyForBoston/posts/2849125258494307

66036874_2849123155161184_5671807448864784384_n.jpg

66091217_2849123265161173_3492791319208656896_n.jpg

66029112_2849123365161163_7090899269489524736_n.jpg

Last edited:
dD, I've been reading this board nearly daily for a real long time now, and I JUST put together that your handle is a perfect dark reference. What an amazing game.

Last edited by a moderator:
dD, I've been reading this board nearly daily for a real long time now, and I JUST put together that your handle is a perfect dark reference. What an amazing game.

Indeed. My fav FPS of all time. I made the sn for AIM way back in 2001 combining Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Have used it ever since. Haha.

Also, kudos to you for stylizing the dD correctly. I noticed someone else did it correctly recently too.

---
Also, I'm so sorry I accidentally edited your post. I'm not used to having the "edit" button on all posts now that I'm a mod. Meant to click quote. >.<

Indeed. My fav FPS of all time. I made the sn for AIM way back in 2001 combining Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Have used it ever since. Haha.

Also, kudos to you for stylizing the dD correctly. I noticed someone else did it correctly recently too.

---
Also, I'm so sorry I accidentally edited your post. I'm not used to having the "edit" button on all posts now that I'm a mod. Meant to click quote. >.<

haha no worries. I don't know if you have an xbox or not, but a couple of years ago they remastered perfect dark for the xbox, and it was GREAT. my xbox crapped out on me a few years ago, but i kind of want a new one mostly to play perfect dark

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/perfect-dark/c0swgv4560w1

haha no worries. I don't know if you have an xbox or not, but a couple of years ago they remastered perfect dark for the xbox, and it was GREAT. my xbox crapped out on me a few years ago, but i kind of want a new one mostly to play perfect dark

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/perfect-dark/c0swgv4560w1

Still have my 360 (first edition actually)! It sounds like a 747 and miraculously hasn't RROD'd. I still play the PD XBox Live remaster! They did an amazing job on the remaster of Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie as well with all the Stop & Swop stuff added back in. I'm a Rare guy, through and through.

Perfect Dark was a masterpiece. It really needs a proper sequel. Zero was garbage.

it really is. i feel sorry for people who say goldeneye is their favorite game but have never played perfect dark.

In addition to the amazing campaign, the AI in the combat sim was perfect. Goldeneye was fun before PD, but when PD came out, it was all about combat sim battles with bots.

Gotta say that wearing a bowtie to a public meeting that's being attended and/or watched by hundreds of people, including important agency heads, is a poor choice, at least if you're responsible for making a big presentation at said meeting.

If you weren't in Boston for 9/11/01, this morning, 8/26, is the exact same weather.

Back