đź”· Open Thread

510E1371-6977-4FD6-9DB1-B8B0A9F9E27E.jpeg

What the heck? 500 Boylston’s original proposal was twin-towered? I just found out about this!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20-Greenleaf-Dr-Danvers-MA-01923/56911177_zpid/ Best Zillow description ever.

"This house is being sold as is. I just sold four houses and am not showing this house. Too many look-y-loos.

So no showings, no inspections, just cash deal. That's how I buy most of my houses--usually sight unseen (I'm buying one right now in California without ever having been to the town).

You can probably build an add on as this lot is a double lot, compared to all other homes in neighborhood. Value: This house cost $130,000 to build --in 1962, when most of Danvers sold for under $20,000. The land (double lot) value isn't included in the original building cost--so $130,000 plus the double lot on sanctuary in the Prep neighborhood. Fact: I paid $579,000 in 2006 and then invested another $130,000 into it for basic upgrades. Since 2006, home values in Danvers have doubled. So my logic then is my purchase price plus upgrades ran me $700,000. Therefore, 1.4 million for the house on one lot. Second lot value is approx $400,000. So selling price is $1.8 Million. Second lot must go with main house. There are numerous intangibles. House is located on sanctuary (previously owned by this house), the street is a loop--so off tertiary road, and located in the St. John's Prep neighborhood.

This house won't be shown. I bought it sight unseen 15 years ago. You can do the same. So then, a cash deal. No showings, no inspections, etc. The appraisal will come in between $675-$800,000--that's because the appraisers refuse to do their job--appraise. They only compare my house to other homes in the neighborhood. They don't take into account that this house cost $130,000 to build on it's own double lot in 1962 --when all the other homes on the same street cost about $25-$30,000, to include the land.

So I need you to extrapolate the true value of this property. Appraisers haven't been trained to appraise this house--Just a fact. So, if interested, do a drive by but don't knock. Contact me only with your full offers. Thx for reading, but pls understand, I'm not interested in financing, discounting, innumerable showings or appraisals. Just make your decision."

Seems like a steal...

"No low ballers, I know what I have!" .......yeah okay, pal.

Four people/parties close to me are in varying stages of buying and/or selling their homes around here and it's absurd hearing what the lack of supply does to the market.

Honest question: if I were looking into training to become a home inspector, is it even worth it at this point? Almost everything I hear is inspections are being waived left and right.

I just watched that video and was like... Columbus, Ohio? Then I checked its population density and realized this was just municipal footprint. Columbus is 219 square miles of land while Boston is 48. So, as toby said, amusing but not informative. If you look at cities with comparably sized urban area footprints, Boston is on par with Philly and Dallas in geographic size. And their urban area population is around 20-25% larger than Boston's.

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 5.50.57 PM.png

90s Pru photo that's mildly creeping me out. This area really looked elegant at night, though.

Does anyone know what the store under Legal Sea Foods was?

Last edited:
^^ OK I'm curious: what book are you pulling all these wonderful '80s-90s photos from? These are the kind of professionally shot photos that I knew have to exist somewhere but somehow hadn't made it up onto the internet just yet. So for that thanks a ton!

Also I tried to brighten it up a bit... it didn't help much but here it is

PruNite.jpg

I usually find most of those photos on either Internet Archive books, or architecture magazine archives from the USModernist website. Occasionally I’ll also find things from tracking down designers. ;)

Also the space below Legal was a Star Market, but I could be wrong.

Ahhhh okay, I consider myself a Google Pro but I've hardly ventured into the archive.org books section.... interesting 🤔

And yes, that space was a Star Market going back to the opening of the Pru complex.

I’ve garnered a strange affinity for the pre-renovation Prudential Center Shops, and with that affixation came the sudden rush to find 1990s stuff of the mall. There’s a ton that I’ve managed to find!

See any pictures of the old Lafayette Mall? The story of that mall tells a lot about where Boston was at, at that time

Odd question again but does anyone else here have more nostalgic 1990s Pru photos?

View attachment 12897

What the heck? 500 Boylston’s original proposal was twin-towered? I just found out about this!
Did you know 801 Boylston was built to be a Planet Hollywood but it never opened? If you look at the decorative metal panels at the top they are old school motion picture cameras with (Hollywood) spotlights crossing over them. Couldn't find a pic of the building but here is the ground breaking
BOS98060802.jpg

Last edited:
Why is entropy in cities bad or am I misreading it? Are they suggesting that there are certain benefits or drawbacks to different street patterns?

Back