đź”· Open Thread

Fools and their money are soon to be parted in Ft. Lauderdale, as Boring Co. nabs itself another client for its not-very-transit mode: a Downtown-beachfront circulator.

Besides being a scammily inept excuse for transit, seems...very ungood on-spec...to be TBM'ing Musk's brand of safety VE'd hamster tubes within blocks of the ocean in a specific coastal region with such...um...pants-shitting scary soil subsistence issues. I mean, they don't even build *basements* in this part of Florida, let alone tunnels, because of what swiss-cheese swill passes for fill down there. Does this not raise some biggish red flags given how opaque-as-@#$% Boring has been about maint-costs-over-lifetime (nevermind opaqueness about safety regs) for their particular brand of snake oil?

Fools and their money are soon to be parted in Ft. Lauderdale, as Boring Co. nabs itself another client for its not-very-transit mode: a Downtown-beachfront circulator.

Besides being a scammily inept excuse for transit, seems...very ungood on-spec...to be TBM'ing Musk's brand of safety VE'd hamster tubes within blocks of the ocean in a specific coastal region with such...um...pants-shitting scary soil subsistence issues. I mean, they don't even build *basements* in this part of Florida, let alone tunnels, because of what swiss-cheese swill passes for fill down there. Does this not raise some biggish red flags given how opaque-as-@#$% Boring has been about maint-costs-over-lifetime (nevermind opaqueness about safety regs) for their particular brand of snake oil?
Man you remind me of James Howard Kunstler with your amusing rants.

The state of architecture, 2021 edition

51301362798_53d61f612a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Sooooooo I'm upgrading my camera game. The one on the right is my old workhorse, the 5D on the left is my new rig, and the one in the middle is my good friend's who is letting me play around with it for the foreseeable future. Plus many lenses not seen here.

Why? Because I'm going to work for her shooting residential real estate and am training for this work as we speak. Ol' kz is finally gonna start earning some bucks from shooting real estate after all these years and am hoping to make this my full-time career going forward 🍻

51311562418_e37ff2acae_b.jpg

Sooooooo I'm upgrading my camera game. The one on the right is my old workhorse, the 5D on the left is my new rig, and the one in the middle is my good friend's who is letting me play around with it for the foreseeable future. Plus many lenses not seen here.

Why? Because I'm going to work for her shooting residential real estate and am training for this work as we speak. Ol' kz is finally gonna start earning some bucks from shooting real estate after all these years and am hoping to make this my full-time career going forward 🍻

51311562418_e37ff2acae_b.jpg

Good luck! But you probably don't need luck, based off what you've posted on here - can't wait to see your already amazing photography improve even more with training/diligence and professionalism

My partner and I got married at Encore Boston Harbor this month. I don’t think they’ve done a ton of weddings yet due to the pandemic, but I have a good feeling they’ll be booking more after ours. Even on the dreariest July day ever, the event was beautiful.

Last edited:
Just had the revelation (heh) that the Museum of Science, from some angles, looks like a church -

museum-of-science-main.jpg

There's probably some commentary about science and religion in there somewhere but that's for people smarter than I.

Screenshot 2021-08-03 11.47.11 AM.png

Elevators at Darth Vader and One Post Office Square in the 80s. Hate to say it but Jung Brannen's lobby design is fugly.

Veteran forumers will know I've been sharing photos here for like 15 years, and as I wrote a few posts up I've finally started to make real money with my camera shooting residential real estate photography for a longtime friend. Things started in earnest last week and I'm getting a lot of work already!

So if you're ever on Zillow or the like looking at homes in the greater Boston area, there's now a chance you'll be seeing my stuff 🍻

51405488597_8b98c8fe05_b.jpg

51406994624_afd6cbd51c_b.jpg

51406507798_eee64c5724_b.jpg

51406507828_af7bc60db9_b.jpg

51406507673_946f73a605_b.jpg

51405488687_d6db8383c8_b.jpg

I know they look pretty much like every listing photo ever, but that's the name of the game, it pays well and I enjoy doing it!

Randomly, here's a piece of vaporwave that uses (at least some of) a photo of the Back Bay in it's album art.

Here's the entire album. It's really good. Scroll down about halfway to start playing it.
https://crashsymbols.bandcamp.com/album/world-class

Personally as a lover of 80's music I have become a big fan of synthwave. Here are some of my favorite albums. Not Boston oriented but they refer to cities a lot.

IMO the best album by the best of these bands, The Midnight

The Midnight's other best album

Simultaneously new yet nostalgic

Drive into the skyline at night blasting one of the first 2 songs and it's a great experience! Note this is the instrumental version of this album, which I prefer here.

One more that I consider top of the genre, by Nina

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone else reads Universal Hub (great blog style, more casual local news posts by one guy).

But this post from today about residents in West Roxbury suing to block a neighbor from adding onto his house had me absolutely furious. I highly recommend giving the segment of the hearing a listen. It's truly wild to hear these NIMBY home owners whine and cry about someone modifying their own property to the same height/state as their own 3 story houses... It's really like the town hall from Parks and Rec, only not a joke.

https://www.universalhub.com/2021/next-block-party-might-be-bit-awkward-residents

Back