🔹 What's Happening With Project X?

^^Last night was crazy.... report of 3 lanes closed westbound on the Ventura Frwy/101/need to improvise: i left Glendale at 6:10pm.... drove Los Feliz to Franklin skipped a couple of blocks over to Hollywood Blvd.... up Laurel Canyon to Mulholland... where i played chicken with oncoming traffic and came within about 3 inches of a head-on collision (we both used our brakes) and i created a left-turn seam. ....tore through the twisties along the rim across Laurel & Coldwater Canyon's clearway to the 405... jumped over 2 exits to Sunset to PCH.... raced through the Bu.... past Zuma & Pt Mugo.... and broke the land speed record. Picked up dinner date at the Strand (Oxnard) and back to Malibu. Greek (T Tony) pasta's, seafood and tip for $140. Lotta ground covered. No tickets.

Dinner date had white Greek wine.

Alcohol for the driver would have created undue problems.

Stopped in traffic and snapped a few badass shots of the Crescent moon & twilight over the H Hills.

Anybody know what the timeline is on Volpe? MIT got the zoning approved. What's next? It's been about a year since any substantial news came out. SOM was supposed to be designing the new federal facility, and those plans were supposed to be released "soon," IIRC.

Time to plan a massive tech empire. Need to merge Cambridge and Somerville to create North Boston.

Stupidly, Amazon will probably not choose Boston..... they might skip Maryland or North Virginia and go for DC itself....

Lousy choice. Boston and North Boston is the place to be.

2 things...1 what’s up North Washington st ? 2 parking garage thing next to Fillipo is up for sale...big sign on it. Probably makes sense for the guys who bought the eastern bakers supply buildings to acquire it and build into a big redevelopment.

I always liked this goin up on d st, any word?

parcel-k-boston-ma-primary-photo.jpg

Anyone see a new skyscraper in Back Bay

.....about 740' give or take??

Anyone see a new skyscraper in Back Bay

.....about 740' give or take??

Where? Why? Frankly, wouldn't the Back Bay start to look kind of stupid if it had 4 buildings almost the exact same height? How about... 900'+ Back Bay, with a taper/spire starting at 800'.

i took his post to be referring to 1 dalton -- not as a proposal for an additional 740'-ish tower in back bay. i think it was "humor" of a type. of course, i could be wrong; that's just how it read to me.

Unless I'm blind, is there a thread for 333 Tremont Street? Stumbled upon this project... nothing indicates that its conceptual apart from the bold design. Architect's website mentions that it's proposed/on the boards...

http://www.ttarch.com/333-tremont

tOKzv1H.jpg

d4ljkJd.jpg

yaPtMOO.jpg

35h7n4y.jpg

hjqwr0M.jpg

4o0iEKe.jpg

I've looked around to find more info, and only found "BostonWebGroup" occupying the round brick building in 2015, but their links for 333tremont.com are dead.

I feel like the dramatic effect that building exudes is what the new BU proposal was trying to go for but fails incredibly. Even the way that meets the street is interesting, welcoming, and porous. I would love for that to not be conceptual!

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting. i am a bit of hypocrite to exclude height in my 'just because you can--doesn't mean you should do (especially here)'.

i like the curves proposed at 2 Charlesgate W. i don't like [the above] in London, Bishkek, Pyongyang, Boston, Everett.... but if the shape of the cutout can be made less unattractive (subjective), who knows.

Last edited:
The extreme cantilever scares the daylights out of me. I don't like this for that reason.

On another note, what the heck is going on with the top of it? Looks like mini windmills.

if the shape of the cutout can be made less unattractive (subjective), who knows.

The extreme cantilever scares the daylights out of me. I don't like this for that reason.

On another note, what the heck is going on with the top of it? Looks like mini windmills.

I personally like this as is, but the cutout for the cantilever does look rather lazily executed. If they could refine it, while also bringing the same design language as the base up the full height of the tower, rather than having a distinctive difference between the base and the tower, it would be an absolute winner. And yes, those are windmills on the top. Hopefully they don't end up looking too bad and they don't run into as many problems as they did on 888 Boylston. There's a ton of marketing speak about the different ways this building responds to the environment on the architect's website, which relates back to the difference between the design languages of the two sections of the tower: the building also includes integrated solar PV panels on the sides of the tower, in addition to the solar PV panels on the roof with the windmills.

JEhEIXT.jpg

Also going to note: this project talks of adapting the old Pleasant Street incline as a pedestrian link to the Common and MBTA. It also talks of a solar screen over the windows, which I believe hasn't been implemented in a building yet. So far there have only been concepts thrown around. Not to mention the design calls for CLT (cross laminated timber). These all seem costly for such a low-scale project. Makes me less hopeful this is a real proposal.

The building at 333 Tremont seems rather vacant...I walk past there twice daily and have been wondering if it's up for redevelopment.

Jesus this city is dying for some bold architecture like this. Please please build it

picture this.... already up or u/c....

a City filling in nicely w/ some height,

1 Bromfield St 709',
SST phases 1, 2 & 3, 677'
Copley Tower 625',
Central Wharf Tower 600',
Parcel 15 545',
40 Trinity Place 446',
Back Bay Station 1, 2 & 3,
45 Worthington Street ~400',
2 Charlesgate W ~370',
290 Tremont St 348',
Motor Mart Garage tower ~320',
Leather District highrise downslope @ parcels 26, 27, 28 *(planning included 2 300' highrises),
Parcel 12, 13 air rights etc,
7 Channel Center, Fort Point 255' (20 story residential proposed),
55 India St ~165',
104 Canal ~190',
1 Charlestown 260' + 248' + 248' + infill
Valente Square ~165'
Haymarket Hotel
Hanover Street crap market off the Greenway

@who cares if it ever....
380 Stewart Street
Tremont Crossing (kinda)

Back